Lack of discipline costs us again!

glemiln

A 23-22 loss.   A tetchy match apparently, some serious injuries, one to Swinton player which delayed play for some time.  And with 23 penalties (only 10 against us!). Oh, and apparently we have a spear tackle put on report.   2 tries scored against us after we were ahead 12-10 when a yellow card was issued to Jordan Hand. Then a Taira red card in last 15 minutes!   To our credit we then pulled it level. Their field goal with minutes to go the decider.  We scored 4 tries to their 3 as well!     So a disastrous Easter programme - as we head nearer the drop zone candidates  - 4 points thrown away and a home capitulation by lack of discipline.  It's galling enough to see this happening regularly on Twitter feeds, so you local diehards must be incensed to say the least.

A week 'rest' now - - but no rest for the main 'concern' our continuous stupid lack of discipline.  It's killing the team and will affect the club, its support and the season will be over early.  Only HKr, Fev and Halifax next in the remaining 12 league games, so defence will play a part too!

All the best efforts of the club deserve better.

To be fair your worst offence,the absolute maiming of Jack Murphy,didn't even result in a penalty so you were pretty lucky 

Swinton should have put that game to bed a long time before you were even back in it 

Lever Murphy and Nicholson were so badly injured they couldn't return to the field of play due to ridiculous cynical dirty Hornets play and Lever apart probably won't feature for weeks 

It's not the first time your team has been given the  label "dirty"  this season 

Really frustrating yet again.

im losing a bit of patience with Joe, it's every week now he's either binned, put on report or as today sent off.

we can wine about refs all day long (we have been in the end of some shocking decisions) but it's time for a long hard look at ourselves.

Palfrey's turning out to be a bit of an enigma, started off looking decent but has gone off the boil as has his kicking. At this stage I'm not sure he's much better than Paul Crook. GG probably shades it with his almost faultless kicking game 

Tough few weeks all in all which was only to be expected, thank goodness for our superb start. A much needed weekend off and Im sure Killer will get the lads back on track. No need to push the panic button just yet but I reckon some deep self reflection and confidence building will get us back on track.

I've got to agree with ormskirknet,  We started badly with an easy high ball that was spilled and gave them 6 points. However we could still have won the game but a lack of discipline at crucial points and missed kicks at goal cost us. Palfrey has certainly gone off the boil.

There seemed a lot off ill feeling between the Swinton players and Jordan Hand.

Read a few reports about the 'tactics' employed by your team but took them with a pinch of salt until today. Always enjoyed a tussle between our two clubs and it's always been a good match up but I'm sorry, what I saw from you today was certainly more UFC than RFL. Shocking!

A very weak ref didn't help matters but your side clearly look as if they're coached to kill by 'Killer' as was clearly evidenced by Jordan Hand who has never been the kind of player that I saw today. I hope your gang were satisfied watching the ambulances queuing up outside to take the bodies away. Bravo!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

The alleged offences ( I wasn't there ) by Mark R. are the sort of problems we shall face until our lack of discipline is addressed properly.  I hope that incidents, on both sides, are fully investigated and those affected by injury are ok.   It's a hard, full contact game and handbags are expected from time to time, but ours is a problem that is worsening - it has to go away, as do those who think it will help our cause.  We certainly seem to be missing Crook's kicking and I am surprised that Palfrey has not yet set our attack alight. Panic no - but we have missed at least 2 winning opportunities that would have set us up well for the end game. Having made it to this level in the best possible way, it would be tragic for it to have started well, but end with discipline our downfall.  What happens next is for others to decide, but time is running out and we cannot rule out the affect it has on the club.

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

I've got to agree with ormskirknet,  We started badly with an easy high ball that was spilled and gave them 6 points. However we could still have won the game but a lack of discipline at crucial points and missed kicks at goal cost us. Palfrey has certainly gone off the boil.

There seemed a lot off ill feeling between the Swinton players and Jordan Hand.

I do think the only ill feeling came from Jordy and not something we witnessed when he was with us.

Its a game of rugby not touch and pass. The first incident was a very hard heavy tackle right under the refs nose who gave nothing. after 5 minutes ha wanders over and chats with the touch judge who says he saw something. Strange how he never came on waving the flag.

The second one was caused by the player going into the tackle head on having the wrong body position. As a result he came off second best. Again right under the refs nose who gave nothing straight away.

If we are going to start talking about dirty play Bishop was no angel. He was looking for it all the match.

One hopes that the two injuries are not serious.

Again we were our own worst enemies. Palfrey is contributing very little to the attack and his place kicking has totally gone off. We have been rumbled with our inability to defend the high ball on our line.

but as the song goes things can only get better.

FOR BISHOP READ BARLOW. My mistake

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

26 minutes ago, Big Doug said:

Its a game of rugby not touch and pass. The first incident was a very hard heavy tackle right under the refs nose who gave nothing. after 5 minutes ha wanders over and chats with the touch judge who says he saw something. Strange how he never came on waving the flag.

The second one was caused by the player going into the tackle head on having the wrong body position. As a result he came off second best. Again right under the refs nose who gave nothing straight away.

If we are going to start talking about dirty play Bishop was no angel. He was looking for it all the match.

Again we were our own worst enemies. Palfrey is contributing very little to the attack and his place kicking has totally gone off. We have been rumbled with our inability to defend the high ball on our line.

Who was Bishop playing for Doug ?

Both players were treated for Spinal injuries. Murphy could not feel his arms that was why they worked on him for so long.

Lets hope they are ok. 

6 hours ago, Big Doug said:

We all know it's not touch and pass.

The old cliché response to denying the truth that your team week in week out are dishing out dirt. Funny how you left out Tairas elbow smash to a grounded player followed by an alleged gouging in your synopsis leading to his instant dismissal. 

How you had such a great view of Murphy injury is questionable as it occurred right in the middle of the pitch in front of the sticks.  It looked like a cynical late blow with knees and swinging arms to Murphy head and neck to me 

I missed how Nicholson was laid out 

We at Swinton have decried our own discipline for two seasons.  It's not been dirty play though.  It's been niggling offences like ball stealing lying on pushing and shoving arguing with the ref 

Thuggery and a collective desire to hurt people from Rochdale in what seems to be a coached tactic to win games is something every fan should be looking to change 

If you continue to bury your head in the sand you will continue to see your players seeing red cards.

This is the first red card I have seen us given this season although I have missed a couple of matches. I have just looked on the RFL disciplinary site. Up to 09/04 this season Rochdale have had one player charged as have Swinton. We have lacked discipline this season and given too many silly penalties.

13 hours ago, mark richardson said:

We all know it's not touch and pass.

The old cliché response to denying the truth that your team week in week out are dishing out dirt. Funny how you left out Tairas elbow smash to a grounded player followed by an alleged gouging in your synopsis leading to his instant dismissal. 

How you had such a great view of Murphy injury is questionable as it occurred right in the middle of the pitch in front of the sticks.  It looked like a cynical late blow with knees and swinging arms to Murphy head and neck to me 

I missed how Nicholson was laid out 

We at Swinton have decried our own discipline for two seasons.  It's not been dirty play though.  It's been niggling offences like ball stealing lying on pushing and shoving arguing with the ref 

Thuggery and a collective desire to hurt people from Rochdale in what seems to be a coached tactic to win games is something every fan should be looking to change 

If you continue to bury your head in the sand you will continue to see your players seeing red cards.

So you think that our coach tells his players to go out and be thugs every week. Only an idiot would think that. As we tend to be physically smaller than our opponents that would be a stupid tactic. Our problem is not being a dirty team its giving away to many soft penalties (not for dirty play by the way). And by the way the penalty count on the day was even.  

1 hour ago, mark richardson said:

So you've not heard any of these criticisms before? 

Only an idiot would carry on in denial in the face of anecdotal evidence to the contrary 

Anecdotal evidence is based on anecdotes which by definition are  "(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts ". Facts such as we have had only one player charged by the RFL  up until 09/04 this year do not back up your anecdotal evidence. Another club in the same division as we are have had five players charged yet when we played them it was a hard clean match.

For some reason Monday's match was a niggling affair with both sides contributing. I would not base my judgement of Swinton on this one match.

Just checked on the RFL website and you have had 13 incidents reported this year - (compare to Swintons 6) most of which resulted in no charge as the sin bin or sending off was sufficient. Selective statistics only undermine your case. I would suggest you do have an issue based on the anecdotal evidence from the comments on your own forums (and not just based on the Swinton game)

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

23 minutes ago, Little Lion Man said:

Just checked on the RFL website and you have had 13 incidents reported this year - (compare to Swintons 6) most of which resulted in no charge as the sin bin or sending off was sufficient. Selective statistics only undermine your case. I would suggest you do have an issue based on the anecdotal evidence from the comments on your own forums (and not just based on the Swinton game)

Nobody denies we have an issue with discipline and give too many soft penalties away. However what we have been accused of by Mark Richardson is "thuggery and a collective desire to hurt people". If this were the case then I'm certain that more than one incident would have resulted in a charge. An incident reported which resulted in no charge or sending to the sin bin sufficient as happened in all but one of the cases hardly backs a charge of thuggery. 

1 hour ago, Little Lion Man said:

And you have watched all of our games to enable you to form an opinion about our team.

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:23 PM, mark richardson said:

To be fair your worst offence,the absolute maiming of Jack Murphy,didn't even result in a penalty so you were pretty lucky 

Swinton should have put that game to bed a long time before you were even back in it 

Lever Murphy and Nicholson were so badly injured they couldn't return to the field of play due to ridiculous cynical dirty Hornets play and Lever apart probably won't feature for weeks 

It's not the first time your team has been given the  label "dirty"  this season 

One of your squeaky clean Barlow got a 4 match ban for striking with elbow.against  HKR.more than our players.

Pan  calling kettle ?  

It's great to hear/see (Hornets' official site) our Chairman's enthusiasm for our club and prospects for the remaining half of the season. In particular,  some detail on our disciplinary issues and, until recently, always on the wrong side of the penalty count.  The RFL has said that Jordan Hand's sin-binning and subsequent penalty was wrong, similarly that of Hadden against Batley, which resulted in our defeat. Six sin-binnings away from home have also proved by the RFL to be wrong decisions.  Tiara, sin-binned several times apparently by the same ref., all decisions subsequently found not guilty.  Tiara must be somewhat frustrated, but of course it doesn't excuse the recent red card.  I understand that we have give away some stupid penalties and dissent is non-productive to say the least.

Let's hope that we can build on our early season form and play smart, hard but fair rugby.  It's going to be a stern test of character, body and player resources with 5 out of the next 6 away (inc. at Blackpool Bash) and 4 of the favourites for the top four!   Good luck and some points.

i feel a lot more optimistic after hearing the Chairman's comments, to me it seems referees talk to each other and have stereotyped us as a dirty side. hopefully with Hornets meeting with Mr Presley this can be ironed out. With a fair crack of the whip I think this side can finish in the top half possibly 6th ,which would be a fantastic achievement.

Archived