Match Thread. Featherstone Rovers v Oldham Sunday 23rd April 2017

marklaspalmas

Up for t'Cup this Sunday.

So there'll be no Sam Day playing obviously ;)

Walts & Frankie injured.

Thackers and Briscoe banned.

No Leeds players except Aston perhaps? I don't know the set up with his loan deal.

So my maths says that's 19 players left and that'll be the 19 for Sunday!

2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Aston is on a 1 year loan to Featherstone so for the loan period he is as much a FEV player as anyone else.

Agree, unless there's a recall clause (don't think anything was said either way when the signing was announced). Ben Reynolds was supposedly on a season-long loan at Dewsbury last year, but got recalled to Leigh as soon as it all went pear-shaped with Rangi.

Wow! Thought JS was serious about a cup run?

No briggs is a real puzzler and we have now lost our buzz from the hooking role as Wildie is presumably in the halves now

Scrappy victory for me this week - cant see any cohesion or the team gelling

I wouldnt be suprised to see us get turned over either, oldham seem to turn up vs the top few teams and they will want a cup run as much as we do

Fev 20 Oldham 16

1st try Turner

Mom Davies

Att 1521

I guess this means one of three things.

1. Briggs is injured. Unlikely, given the "no place" comment on the website.

2. JS believes Wildie to be the better stand off.

3. There's been some sort of falling out...

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

17 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

We'll have to laugh if Day plays a blinder won't we ?

Wouldnt suprise me this, The day before going to Dews for a month with no recall too

Lets throw in an injury or red card to carlile or wildie so we will be a hooker short as well 

3 hours ago, Phil Stone said:

The club are doing the right thing. Sam needs game time and isn't getting it at Fev, We have no reserve team now so what else can he do? I'd rather him go away on loan for a month then if we do need him he'll be match fit and ready. In the meantime we should have enough cover. The alternative is that Sam sits out his contract then moves on to another club at the end of the season as he will want to be playing

I wouldn't disagree with that Phil, and said the same myself earlier.

But the nightmare scenarios oulined by Rob L and Elppa above make you think.

Giving a player half a game all season long then playing him the match before he goes out on loan doesn't make a lot of sense on the face of it. And if Briggs (I know he's a stand -off but all hookers & half-backs are pivots) is persona non grata, then it makes less sense still.

We still have SIX wingers (Briscoe, Turner, Ducky, Johnson, Misi (not playing centre at the mo cos we've got three other centres) and Handley often) for just TWO places.

But now we're going with just FIVE pivots for FOUR places every week?

54 minutes ago, Phil Stone said:

I understand that Mark, hopefully we won't pick up more injuries or bans. The big debate is whether the RFL mandate that clubs should run reserve teams. Funding needs to be available but I believe all clubs should have them. That way there is a place for squad members to get a game and youth to step up. As we've heard recently though the RFL won't stand up to the SL clubs so there's no chance of them enforcing it in the Championship

Of course. The situation with the resrves comp is a total shambles and a disgrace. Everybody apart from the top decsion makers at some SL clubs and the RFL think they should be brought back.

But....

It's 2017. Fev are running a smallish squad that's already had a number of suspensions and injuries. At times we have really relied on Leeds which is not ideal as they can easily let us down because ATEOTD they are looking out for themselves.

Hopefully 2018 will be different.

I would have thought so. I expect Aston and Wildie at half back and Carlisle at hooker. Now either Carlisle will play full game or Day will play as interchange or Davies will go in at hooker while Carlisle is off the field. I would favour using Day.

Scratchy 1st half not helped by the stop start nature of the game caused by some questionable refs descisions, didnt seem to really get going for me

2nd half we needed that try we scored to give us a lift, and we dominated from thereafter

Dissappointed in Oldham, all that ball and they did little with it all game, bar the try dont remember a real raid they had on our line in the second half

At least we put in a better performance than we did in the league fixture

Good comments all round. Poor first half, and a reasonable after the break. Why cant we play 2 good halfs. Bradford 1st half, Oldham 2nd half.

Good cup draw against a top super league side with lots of supporters, but not them down the road 

1 hour ago, haskey said:

Good comments all round. Poor first half, and a reasonable after the break. Why cant we play 2 good halfs. Bradford 1st half, Oldham 2nd half.

Good cup draw against a top super league side with lots of supporters, but not them down the road 

No, not them down the road, Leeds, Hull or Wigan at home for me.  Big crowd, Hull would be my fave.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Barrow at their place, will be no gimme. They are playing well and will have nothing to lose being underdogs.

Hull or Leeds at PO road please

What would we do if we got Barrow at home? Would we have another 50th anniversary celebration, and play it on the Saturday which would be 13th May, exactly 50 years to the day?

Archived