Wakey at home

the old nine ole

3 minutes ago, legin said:

John Hegarty was a centre from Wakefield Trinity  [ex Hawick RU] and it was  in semi final of BBC2 floodlight comp in 1975 when we wore the black shirts with inverted shevrons of red and amber for centenary of rugby in Dewsbury   sadly lost at St Helens in final   again a bit of scratch line up due to injuries etc   .....seem to recall Phil Artis kicked a goal in final at Saints .

1 hour ago, Crown Flatter said:

I recall John Hegarty playing on the wing (normally a stand-off) in the Yorkshire Cup, beating Leeds, his former club.

Funny how the years affect our memories!!  ... when we get to a certain age!!  I remember him as a stand off we signed from Wakefield, ( yes i recall the Hawick connection too) I remember him being very fast over a short distance, and was played on the wing for the cup game against his old club ( Wakefield ) and scoring in the corner ..... but I am not sure!!

I remember us winning that game against the odds ..... hoping for a similar outcome ( but not expecting it ) ....  I probably won't remember in a few years anyway! 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Remember the 1973 game, think it was Jeff Grayson who scored and it was the round before we played Saints in the quarters with 10,000 crowd. But memory could be playing tricks.

The year that we played Saints in the following round was '77. The reported attendance against Saints was about as accurate as any in those days but was reckoned to be closer to 18,000. As I recall there was hardly any space anywhere in the ground, including the Sugar Lane terracing (later condemned by Kirklees as being unable to withstand a large crowd).

I think there will be fewer this time around

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 25/04/2017 at 7:03 PM, christheram said:

What date you reckon? I'd like a Saturday evening at 6pm me or a Friday night game under the lights.

Call me old fashioned but I think we'd be better with a Sunday kick off.  Wakefield used to prefer Sundays too until all the other SL teams decided on a Friday.  

14 minutes ago, NickD said:

Call me old fashioned but I think we'd be better with a Sunday kick off.  Wakefield used to prefer Sundays too until all the other SL teams decided on a Friday.  

call me what you want fella, but try not to clash with anyone for us  folks who might  need a decent rugby fix and aint in it..:sclerosis:

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The year that we played Saints in the following round was '77. The reported attendance against Saints was about as accurate as any in those days but was reckoned to be closer to 18,000. As I recall there was hardly any space anywhere in the ground, including the Sugar Lane terracing (later condemned by Kirklees as being unable to withstand a large crowd).

The Saints game where Adrian Rushton dropped the ball over the line when it was far easier to score. 

9 hours ago, YOUNG UN said:

The Saints game where Adrian Rushton dropped the ball over the line when it was far easier to score. 

My god. I remember that and I was 10.  Shows the pain it caused.  I can only just remember where I was when elvis died. 

10 hours ago, YOUNG UN said:

I think that was '73. Rushton had left us by '77 I believe (CF can confirm or correct).

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Was that due to the faulty turnstiles we took with us to Batley when we moved ? :angel:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I think that was '73. Rushton had left us by '77 I believe (CF can confirm or correct).

Hmm. I don't know BSJ because it was certainly a CC 3rd round tie and we got beat. In 73 we went to the semi.

15 minutes ago, YOUNG UN said:

Hmm. I don't know BSJ because it was certainly a CC 3rd round tie and we got beat. In 73 we went to the semi.

Well I certainly can't rely on my memory, as many people would testify, but according to my copy of the 1975-76 John Player Yearbook he transferred to York midway through the 74-75 season.

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Well I certainly can't rely on my memory, as many people would testify, but according to my copy of the 1975-76 John Player Yearbook he transferred to York midway through the 74-75 season.

Could it have been 75 then? We got to the semi in 73 & 74. I know we lost the game when he dropped the ball

7 minutes ago, YOUNG UN said:

Could it have been 75 then? We got to the semi in 73 & 74. I know we lost the game when he dropped the ball

In 74-75 we got knocked out of every cup competition in the first round.

Just for fun, here is a photo of the 74-75 squad for you to name.

74-75001 (2).jpg

74-75001 (2).jpg

Not easy. Let's have a go.

?,?,?, Dick Lowe,Alan Craven, Billy Pickup, John Clark, Dicky Doyle,

?,Alan Bates,Steve Lingard,Kevin Osborne,Nigel Stephenson,?,Shaun Dunford.

Are the ones I have identified correct so far BSJ?

23 minutes ago, YOUNG UN said:

Think Dunford is wrong

21 minutes ago, YOUNG UN said:

Is that Keith Voyce to the left of Alan Bates? Don't think Shaun Dunford will appreciate you putting him in that era??

31 minutes ago, YOUNG UN said:

Not Shaun Dunford's era and it was Dicky Doel, and Lingard is on the photo but not the player you selected.

5 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Is that Keith Voyce to the left of Alan Bates? Don't think Shaun Dunford will appreciate you putting him in that era??

Nope, not Voyce.

74-75001 (2).jpg

? John Vodden,Graham Chalkley,Dick Lowe,Alan Craven,Billy Pickup,John Clark,Dicky Doal.

Keith Voyce,Alan Bates,Jeff Chappel,Kevin Osborne,Nigel Stephenson,Steve Lingard, Steve Bruney (not sure how you spell it)

10 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

? John Vodden,Graham Chalkley,Dick Lowe,Alan Craven,Billy Pickup,John Clark,Dicky Doal.

Keith Voyce,Alan Bates,Jeff Chappel,Kevin Osborne,Nigel Stephenson,Steve Lingard, Steve Bruney (not sure how you spell it)

That looks good GF. Just thinking who might be full back though? Was that Keith Voyce on front row, who I think was an hooker or was it someone called Bernard Ford? I think he played FB but can't remember the era.

18 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

? John FRAIN, Chalkley,Lowe,Craven,Pickup,Clark, Doel

Front: Lingard,Bates, ?,Osborne,Stephenson,Gary Mitchell, Graham Roberts

Well Therein has got them all correct with just the one exception of the mystery player. Let's see if Crownflatter can remember his name before revealing it.

15 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Well Therein has got them all correct with just the one exception of the mystery player. Let's see if Crownflatter can remember his name before revealing it.

A stab in the dark but was it Rangeley? Remember the name but not what he looked like

Archived