Wakey at home

the old nine ole

Blimey BSJ, you know how to put people in the spot. Age does not help the memory. I didn't even recognise John Clark and I used to work with him (and his dad, Arthur).

Ian Simpson would have been the full back and Tony Roberts at nine.

I am going to kick myself when the answer is revealed, as I can only identify Trevor (Dick) Lowe, Acker Bates, Kev Osborn and Nigel Stephenson.

As I don't recognise the mystery man, I will try for the position of each player in the photo: 

1. Ian Simpson

2. Gary Mitchell

3. John Clark

4. Kevin Osborne

5. Billy Pickup

6. Nigel Strphenson

7. Alan Bates

8. John Frain

9 . Tony Roberts

10. Dick Lowe

11. Alan Craven

12. ?

13. Graham Chalkley

14. Steve Lingard

15. Dicky Doel

So now we have another guessing game - who played in which position?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anyone will kick themselves as the player in question was labelled G Price - I don't remember him at all.The only Price around at that time was Ray and it doesn't look like him.

Is this correct or has the book got their labels wrong?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

34 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I don't think anyone will kick themselves as the player in question was labelled G Price - I don't remember him at all.The only Price around at that time was Ray and it doesn't look like him.

Is this correct or has the book got their labels wrong?

G Price was an aussie prop  not sure but think he was with Halifax  before playing a few games at Crown Flatt 

1 hour ago, legin said:

G Price was an aussie prop  not sure but think he was with Halifax  before playing a few games at Crown Flatt 

That was in the 80's though, wasn't it?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 minutes ago, muddyfunster said:

Rumour from wakefield that it's an 8pm ko Friday night! That's 5 of us that can't make it if true 

Six

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

That was in the 80's though, wasn't it?

Just looked at my records and it was Tony Price  an Australian  via Halifax   but for some reason his appearances etc weren't printed in the 75/76 yearbook ..But as you prove BSJ he was listed as G Price in team photo in said yearbook ...

2 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Six

+1......seven

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

It would be nice to see the playing surface looking good for this game. Nice thick grass, well marked out pitch and maybe some sponsors markings like they do in the NRL? They look amazing when you see them on the telly. 

We might get a TV slot for some highlights perhaps, and it would be good to show the world that we are making effort. 

The bald patch where the players run out would be a good place to start. 

Don't see people's problems whining about the date of the game? Yes some of you can't make it but others can make it Friday and imsure wel attract afew neutrals. If Wakefield fans can make it then why can't Dewsbury folk? Make of it what it should be, a great occasion with a good atmosphere and crowd under the Tetleys Stadium lights... Some of our best cup game have been on Friday nights... Last years 31-30 win over Bulls.. Wigan afew year ago when we were excellent... it adds to the atmosphere and occasion, don't see the problem 

1 hour ago, christheram said:

Don't see people's problems whining about the date of the game? Yes some of you can't make it but others can make it Friday and imsure wel attract afew neutrals. If Wakefield fans can make it then why can't Dewsbury folk? Make of it what it should be, a great occasion with a good atmosphere and crowd under the Tetleys Stadium lights... Some of our best cup game have been on Friday nights... Last years 31-30 win over Bulls.. Wigan afew year ago when we were excellent... it adds to the atmosphere and occasion, don't see the problem 

Must be nice when your priorities are just yourself

And the grand total of your responsibility in life is to simply make sure your underpants are the right way around....

Sunday is game day pure and simply,before that it was Saturday. 

If other supporters with kids can make it like SL families do for Friday night fixtures then imsure Rams fans can too for a one off fixture. I can understand people who have planned things in advance but just don't see point in fans whining over it. Enjoy the occasion, who knows you may even witness a historical  win 

14 hours ago, christheram said:

I prefer Friday night games. The players prefer them too to have rest of weekend with their families. Why can't you make it? Take it you don't live local? 

Four hour round trip on roads awash with speed cameras - did I mention my speeding ticket ? ;)

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

9 hours ago, coolie said:

Must be nice when your priorities are just yourself

And the grand total of your responsibility in life is to simply make sure your underpants are the right way around....

Sunday is game day pure and simply,before that it was Saturday. 

Nice one Coolie!!

BUT. You are forgetting one thing. Chris has been in touch with all the Wakefield fans and to a man they are in favour of Friday night.  

11 hours ago, christheram said:

How do you know the Wakey fans will turn up?

If other supporters with kids can make it like SL families do for Friday night fixtures then imsure Rams fans can too for a one off fixture. I can understand people who have planned things in advance but just don't see point in fans whining over it. Enjoy the occasion, who knows you may even witness a historical  win.

No we won't.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

If other supporters with kids can make it like SL families do for Friday night fixtures then imsure Rams fans can too for a one off fixture. I can understand people who have planned things in advance but just don't see point in fans whining over it. Enjoy the occasion, who knows you may even witness a historical  win 

It's been suggested that the players prefer the Friday kick off as it gives them the weekend off but both us and Wakefield kick on Sunday afternoons in league normally. So why go for a Friday night? The Batley game was Sunday, as was the last Wigan visit to us. Sure I would have been there if other family commitments didn't come first but to assume we should simply be able to make it because SL supporters with kids can on a Friday night is off the mark. 

Enjoy the historic victory and I'll make sure I have both the Friday night and Sunday afternoon free on the weekend of the quarter finals 

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

2 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Four hour round trip on roads awash with speed cameras - did I mention my speeding ticket ? ;)

There is no dispute that the romance of a game under the lights is appealing to all fans..better atmosphere, better drinking,more chance of the neutrals coming. 

Many supporters lives are geared up for rugby at the weekend.. And unfortunately for many fans just not of Dewsbury are lowering their priorities where rugby league is not the be all and end all of the structured week,just imagine how pee'd of super league fans can be,they buy a season ticket looking forward to the (big teams coming on a Sunday) then to find a couple of months into the season after booking holidays to make sure they don't clash with the big games,plan everything that could possibly clash with the big game on a Sunday..to suddenly find out.. Sky moved the game to Thursday, I've a mate who this has.happened to a few times regarding his team...and no longer buys a season ticket..and in fact he's not been to his teams games at all this season...this is how the game loses supporters. 

Yes this is a cup game,it's all pay so nothing to do with season tickets. 

Crowd should be around 2500-3000 if we're fortunate you'd think

Without taking into account of mitigating circumstances like

Weekend away

Folk working

Folk going out

Sky game

Filthy weather

Can't be a.rsed after a hard day

Yes a Friday night game under the lights in the cup is wonderful if it works for you and your situation. 

For many it don't 

But it's up to the club when they play

Sunday I'd liked to have seen a trial Sunday evening kick off against Oldham seeing the tour De Yorkshire is running.

Archived