29/30 Apr: The Kingstone Press Championship Match Thread

Discuss all this weekend's Kingstone Press Championship games here.

SATURDAY 29th APRIL

Toulouse Olympique XIII v Bradford Bulls KO 6pm (CET)

SUNDAY 30th APRIL

Dewsbury Rams v Oldham KO 3pm
Featherstone Rovers v Sheffield Eagles KO 3pm
Halifax v Batley Bulldogs KO 6pm
Hull Kingston Rovers v Rochdale Hornets KO 3pm
London Broncos v Swinton Lions KO 3pm

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Discuss all this weekend's Kingstone Press Championship games here.

SATURDAY 29th APRIL

Toulouse Olympique XIII v Bradford Bulls KO 6pm (CET)

SUNDAY 30th APRIL

Dewsbury Rams v Oldham KO 3pm
Featherstone Rovers v Sheffield Eagles KO 3pm
Halifax v Batley Bulldogs KO 6pm
Hull Kingston Rovers v Rochdale Hornets KO 3pm
London Broncos v Swinton Lions KO 3pm

My predictions:

Toulouse

Oldham

Featherstone

Halifax

Hull KR

London

Fax v Batley could be close but I fear TO v Bulls could be the opposite, especially with the uncertainty of loan players being available etc, must be a nightmare for Leigh Beattie

Could be a few surprises. Swinton and London I think could be close and Swinton will have been boosted with the Giants win. Dewsbury with a new coach have won 2 from 3 and will be tough to beat at home for Oldham. Fax v Batley is always close and even though Batley struggling expect them to put up a good battle and run Fax close. Toulouse I expect will be way too strong for Bradford and the same with HKR and Rochdale. Sheffield are very hot and cold but feel Fev will be too strong.

Toulouse +30

Dewsbury +8

Fev +12

Fax + 4

HKR + 20

Swinton + 2

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Do people on here think that Toulouse could get promoted to Super League at the end of this year?

Depends on where they finish. going to Toulouse is tough so if thery get into the top two with normally three wins getting you to the MPG. They should be there or therabouts. Well beaten by the Broncos though so not so good away from home. and of course cue the inevitable "they don't bring any away fans" jibes from t'cappers.

On to Swinton having met some of their hard core fans at the New Zealand v PNG game in the world cup. Its good to see the clubs day in the sun and the reward of Wigan in the next round of the cup to fill the coffers. It's much harder to follow a heartlabnd club languishing in the championship when you have nearby Super League clubs, so if I had a metaphorical hat I would be taking it off to their fans and those who also march to a different drumbeat following their local club in the lower leagues.

The game is one that London need to win and any club beating a super league teams deserves respect - Good London performance at Batley but that was then this is now, the players need to focus on the game in hand. Going to be interesting to see if Swinton get a reaction from an emotional high last week  in the cup or if it is London showing signs of ring-rust after a week off. All to play for.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

2 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Depends on where they finish. going to Toulouse is tough so if thery get into the top two with normally three wins getting you to the MPG. They should be there or therabouts. Well beaten by the Broncos though so not so good away from home. and of course cue the inevitable "they don't bring any away fans" jibes from t'cappers.

On to Swinton having met some of their hard core fans at the New Zealand v PNG game in the world cup. Its good to see the clubs day in the sun and the reward of Wigan in the next round of the cup to fill the coffers. It's much harder to follow a heartlabnd club languishing in the championship when you have nearby Super League clubs, so if I had a metaphorical hat I would be taking it off to their fans and those who also march to a different drumbeat following their local club in the lower leagues.

The game is one that London need to win and any club beating a super league teams deserves respect - Good London performance at Batley but that was then this is now, the players need to focus on the game in hand. Going to be interesting to see if Swinton get a reaction from an emotional high last week  in the cup or if it is London showing signs of ring-rust after a week off. All to play for.

Thanks for this, the mighty lions have a good few players back this week so hoping for a good result!

14 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Do people on here think that Toulouse could get promoted to Super League at the end of this year?

Possibly, but I am not sure that would be a good thing.  There needs to be development behind the scenes; for instance, building the sponsorship base and ground developments will both take time.  If on-field and off-field progress get out of synch, that could be a worry for TO in the slightly longer term.

I hope those comments don't sound unduly pessimistic; rather, I am trying to be realistic.

35 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Possibly, but I am not sure that would be a good thing.  There needs to be development behind the scenes; for instance, building the sponsorship base and ground developments will both take time.  If on-field and off-field progress get out of synch, that could be a worry for TO in the slightly longer term.

I hope those comments don't sound unduly pessimistic; rather, I am trying to be realistic.

Toulouse seem to be quite advanced when it comes to sponsorship. Look at this list: http://www.to13.com/partenaires/. They also have the Table Ovale business club with around 300 members.

Now they may not be receiving much from each but to even have engaged with that many companies is very impressive.

The ground development is more of an issue but they have no shortage of alternatives in the interim.

Archived