Rugby League World (May 2017) Feedback Thread

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - ISSUE 433 (MAY 2017) - AVAILABLE ONLINE NOW - IN SHOPS FRIDAY 28TH APRIL

Scroll down for a taste of what's inside this issue...

rlw_may2017_large.jpg

Had enough of the General Election campaign yet? If so, you’ve come to the right place: in our 84 pages you can avoid any mention of Theresa, Jeremy, Tim and the rest of the crew fighting for your votes like ferrets in a sack and indulge yourself in the wonderful world of Rugby League instead.

We’ve got an exclusive interview with Castleford Tigers chairman Ian Fulton, who explains how and why he got involved at the club, plus a word or two from Fred Done, the man from Betfred whose cash is currently helping to bankroll Super League.

Ian Watson tells us about his mission to revive Salford as a trophy-winning force and we talk to Wigan’s unsung hero Sam Powell too.

Is it time to revamp the Magic Weekend and Summer Bash? We’ve got a range of views in our latest investigation and we also discuss the evolving role of the prop forward with our two cover stars and masters of the position at Hull FC, Scott Taylor and Liam Watts.

We take another trip in our time machine back to the days of Cougarmania in Keighley and still manage to cram in all our regular features from around the world and loads more.

Get stuck in before someone knocks on your door asking for your vote!

Online now at www.totalrl.com/rlw - in shops Friday 28th April - order a copy or a subscription by post at www.totalrl.com/shop

I have to be honest, the puns wear a little thin with RLW sometimes. I don't know how other glossy publications of sports mags behave but it does seem RLW have about half a dozen pun titles of some sort each issue.

Anyway, the rest of it - bar random league and those south sea diaries thing - is still good and I look forward to tomorrow's delivery.

1 hour ago, hindle xiii said:

I have to be honest, the puns wear a little thin with RLW sometimes. I don't know how other glossy publications of sports mags behave but it does seem RLW have about half a dozen pun titles of some sort each issue.

Anyway, the rest of it - bar random league and those south sea diaries thing - is still good and I look forward to tomorrow's delivery.

Interesting angle

Cor blimey guv, I work hard coming up with those pun-tastic headlines y'know! 

Most mags do it, don't they? Well, the ones I read do...

I'd actually rather we did the opposite to every other magazine.

There's loads of magazines out there that are just sheep to conventions.

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Cor blimey guv, I work hard coming up with those pun-tastic headlines y'know! 

Most mags do it, don't they? Well, the ones I read do...

1 hour ago, Ash Hope said:

I'd actually rather we did the opposite to every other magazine.

There's loads of magazines out there that are just sheep to conventions.

Which one is it then? Is Rugby League World a sheep or not?

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Which one is it then? Is Rugby League World a sheep or not?

No. Yes we use puns (like other magazines) but not because they do or because it's normal to do that. Because we want to.

11 minutes ago, Ash Hope said:

No. Yes we use puns (like other magazines) but not because they do or because it's normal to do that. Because we want to.

And if the readers could see the ones we think up then chuck away as inappropriate... :O :laugh:

8 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

C'mon then hindle, you've put yourself up to this. What pun for the props topic would you choose to headline.

7 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Can we maybe have one year where you don't run an article about how it's time to 'revamp' the Magic Weekend or turn it into a 9's tournament? Looking forward to the annual "bring back GB" edition in two months.

How do you suggest we cover Magic Weekend in the future?

2 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

Can we maybe have one year where you don't run an article about how it's time to 'revamp' the Magic Weekend or turn it into a 9's tournament? Looking forward to the annual "bring back GB" edition in two months.

Can we have one month where people don't grumble about what's in RLW or prejudge articles before they've read them ? ;)

Of course not! Differing opinions on stuff are what keeps things interesting. Blimey, this forum would be a bit dull if everyone thought the same all the time, as would the mag.

The Magic Weekend happens once a year. We cover it once a year. That's not really overdoing it. If we ignored it, we'd get complaints about that n'all.

The Magic Weekend piece covers a range of views, from different people involved in the game, not just our opinion. Some want change, others don't. Who knows, you might even agree with parts of it, or even be persuaded to change your view.

If you don't agree with a view expressed in the mag, you're free to write in and tell us why, and we'll probably publish it, because we love getting feedback, so long as it is constructive of course. (No one loves a whinger).

And we're always open to suggestions as to how we should cover things in future, which apart from encouraging people to buy the new issue, is why me and m'colleague Ash post and participate in threads like this on TRL.

10 hours ago, Ash Hope said:

How do you suggest we cover Magic Weekend in the future?

Talk about the matches, suggest places league folk can visit when they are up there, report on the development of RL in the region, report back what locals think about the event, ask the RFL/Super League about the strategic vision for the event.

You may well do all of these things; I haven't read it yet. I'm just saying there are quite a few angles besides the tear-it-up-and-start-again approach. 

Same for the Challenge Cup.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I am really enjoying the recent editions. Had a bit of a backlog because of other calls on my time and ended up reading the last 3 over a couple of days. I had forgotten how well written they are. The key ingredients are 1) in depth scoops, 2) incomes opinion pieces and 3) insights into players' lives. So many facts are instantly available these days that a mag can't get by on match reports any more. Keep doing what you're doing.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Talk about the matches, suggest places league folk can visit when they are up there, report on the development of RL in the region, report back what locals think about the event, ask the RFL/Super League about the strategic vision for the event.

You may well do all of these things; I haven't read it yet. I'm just saying there are quite a few angles besides the tear-it-up-and-start-again approach. 

Would be interested on your thoughts on this year's feature once you've read it. 

We've done some of the stuff you mention before (places to visit in Newcastle, for example) and if we did the same every year (which we don't - last year we looked at the best ways to enjoy Magic on the telly) regular readers would complain about that, I'm sure.

The problem we have as a monthly mag in covering the matches themselves is, we would either preview them at a time when too many things can change between writing the preview and publishing it (injuries etc) or we review them afterwards which would be (a) out of date by the time you read it and (b ) duplicating what's in League Express and all over the internet already.

We try to offer something different.

4 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Part of the big piece is with Newcastle Thunder, so looked at the region's development. But you raise some good points, certainly moving forward the RFL bit is a big one - providing they talk to us.

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Excellent. I'm going on holiday next week, I'll be buying a copy to read on the plane

Wherever you're going, take a pic with the mag and send it in to us, we like to publish snaps of RLW on holidays. We don't get out much ourselves... ;)

Archived