Yed Memories

jroyales

Watching Clay's 40/20 and replying with memories of Paddy's try against Wigan and howardm1978s reminded me of Halkyard's  try against the Aussied made me think there must be hundreds of other great memories out there.

Use this line to share them so as to bring a smile to everyone's face,

the match against hull kr at old Trafford the greatest come back ever. and the try by tommy martin to win it you can still watch all the match on youtube. then the  match at widnes in the challenge cup widnes where the cup holders who played all their stars and we where in the 2nd division. we then played st. Helens at home thanks to the ref. we where never going to win that one.

You've just taken the words out of my mouth Tandle. Others to consider:-

Lancs Cup against Wigan on a Tuesday night at Watersheddings - Gary Hyde's long distance kick to win it. (Only my second ever match watching 'yeds - I was hooked).

Boundary Park win on a Friday night against North Queensland Cowboys.

Hull KR cup match last season has got to be on the list as well.

33 minutes ago, fiftiesremembered said:

That brilliant goal kicker - Bernard Ganley. Could have been brought on just to kick goals.

However, remember probably his only try when he was practically carried over the line by his teammates - cup match against Walney Central.He was beaming.

Now you sound like my dad, my dad use to tell me that after a game against Wigan he was drinking with Ganley in the old pavilion, Oldham had won with Ganley kicking 5 goals and Wigan scored the only try which Ganley had let in. When Derek Turner walked over and told Ganley in no uncertain terms how bad a rugby player he was when Ganley turned to Turner and said Derek did we win today and I am the reason we got winning pay. Turner them walked away. 

I was only young at the time so not really sure of why they used to do this... I have memories of the ballboys at Watersheddings carrying a white bed sheet around the pitch, fans would throw money into it from the stands. Them poor ballboys must been covered in bruises and cuts. Not sure health and safety or even child cruelty laws would allow this nowadays. 

Oldham v Featherstone 88 playoff final at Oldham Trafford. We started well built  a decent lead and then Feth came back second half to lead. Kevin Meadows dives over in the last few minutes to level the scores. Charlie McAlister knocks the conversion over to win the game. Remember some great homecoming scenes outside the Queen Elizabeth Hall with the Yeds parading the trophy and singing myself hoarse with a great bunch of supporters. Just wish a few that were present that day would come and look at what is going on at Bower Fold now as we have a really committed team and coaching staff working wonders on our budget.

COME ON OLDHAM!!!! COME ON OLDHAM!!!!!

So many memories, too many to recount really. One of my first away games sometime in the 70's away at Rochdale (I was about 5 I think) a Hornets player butted an Oldham player and was sent off,first bit of biff I remember haha. Loads of memories of travelling to grounds that dont exist anymore like Tattersfield,McLaren Field,The Athletic Grounds, Thrum Hall et al. 

Meeting your heroes after the games at Sheddings walking back to the Pavilion.

I suppose games that stand out a bit are the Cup run in 89/90. The Aussie game in 86,Wigan in the cup (CC and Lancs),beating Rochdale in the semi to be 80mins from SL again,and the final against Widnes even though we lost. Fev and HKR at Old Trafford,NQ at BP,Hull KR last season,the sheer relief at the hooter at the Haven game at Bower Fold,Toulouse away this season.

Every single game win or lose over the years has strengthened the bond with our great club and the loyal support who stick with the team and club no matter what. This club means a lot to us all, the memories and stories are legion. 

One of the greatest gifts we have is not only the pleasure of watching the lads in red and white but doing it amongst friends,not just from our own club but every other RL club too. What a game we are all part of.Long may it continue and many more memories to come for us to reminisce about in the future.

6 hours ago, R0ughyeds said:

I was only young at the time so not really sure of why they used to do this... I have memories of the ballboys at Watersheddings carrying a white bed sheet around the pitch, fans would throw money into it from the stands. Them poor ballboys must been covered in bruises and cuts. Not sure health and safety or even child cruelty laws would allow this nowadays. 

sounds to me like the era when Oldham had no money ( sorry but its been like that since 1958 i think ) and they organised a "collection" to buy Barry Kear from Cas. . .  best 10p i ever spent was that . . .  so must have been 1975 . . . he played on loan until the mugs around the pitch paid up, . . .  think it was 4 grand . . . bottom line another Arthur Walker stunt . . .

One of my fav memorites when i was about 12 years old, was Mick Mooney droppring a goal at Sheddings to beat Saints 8 -7 on a Friday night in 1967 i think , when a drop goal was still 2 points.

Another was a match at New Craven Park Hull on the docks there when Charlie Mc was injured and the 4 blokes carrying him off on their new all mod cons stretcher dropped him off half way io the touch line :tongue:

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

So many!  Gary Hyde, the challenge cup semi (it was a try!), the aussies.

The first game of the 'new' club at hornets, when we were expected to lose.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 hours ago, jroyales said:

The stretcher story reminds me of an incident at 'sheddings when someone was being carried off on a stretcher and it split dropping him to even louder moans and groans.

It was the big lad from Bradford 

I know it's not a winning try or great game but, hopefully keeping to the spirit of the thread.....A match at Watersheddings when Buster the Bear rugby tackled a Warrington supporter who had got on to the pitch and knocked him clean off his feet.  Still wonder how he explained his clothes covered in mud when he arrived home.

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

I have a memory of visiting The Watersheddings as a kid. My Dad sat me on the whitewashed wall so I could see the game and along came a policeman who told my Dad I had to sit with my back to the field in case my legs were hit by the ball or  a player - or I had to stand, in which case I would see nothing as the wall was too high.

Once the copper had gone I was hoisted back on to the wall with my legs dangling pitch side and watched the match. 

We lost thanks to Bernard Ganley's goals - oh and a few tries too!

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Buster in his human form is alive and well Clifford ;) runs a certain sports memorabilia business in Lees this days http://sporting-image.co.uk/  and is sometimes spotted on the terraces at BF. Mr Bradshaw also starred as Bull Boy,Ronnie the Rhino,The GB lion,Bertie Bee at Burnley FC amongst other stuff and is still a big ORLFC and Waterhead supporter.Great fella is Braddy.

(sorry for going a bit off topic folks)

Too many to put them all down on here but the funniest for me was watching Oldham play Wigan  from the Hutchins stand upstairs on a very foggy day with a good friend. We couldn't see the other end of the pitch and followed the game by listening to the groans and cheers from the crowd up there and also watching the Wigan fullback, Colin Tyrer I think it was, pacing side to side across the halfway line. Oldham were losing by one point at the time when drop goals counted two. Suddenly out of the mist appears Frank Foster, realising he didn't have the pace to go round Tyrer he attempted a drop goal from 30 yards out but it fell short then then ran over the dead ball line. The referee was nowhere to be seen and I and my mate, followed by a few others raised our arms and all shouted "Yeeessss" The referee then appeared through the mist and hearing our shout raised his white handkerchief and assuming our shouts suggested the ball had gone over he awarded the goal putting Oldham in the lead which somehow we held on to, to win the game. I will always remember Tyrer arguing with us and calling us all sorts of unsavoury names. That was the day me and my mate beat Wigan, with Frank Fosters help of course, and also helped by a blind referee.

I remember being at Central Park in the massive stand behind the posts with a gang of Yeds and a pie eater kept mouthing off. One of the Yeds lost his cool and launched a boiling, hot gravy filled pie at the bloke hitting fully square on the back of his head.

With boiling gravy pouring down his neck I've never seen anybody jump as high and squeal as much. and we all turned round to see who threw it.

Can't remember who it was against but it must've been around 87/88 and I'd be about 8. Anyway for some reason I shouted "Waddle along Hughie" to Hugh Waddell and to his credit he turned and laughed along with half of the Waterhead Paddock. Some player too! 

When I played cricket for Springhead I would miss the odd Oldham game.  Better to be a third class player than a first class watcher I reckoned.  

Anyway, in one game at Thornham I split the webbing in my hand taking a catch.  Off to Oldham Royal then.  When I arrived, John Cogger was also there having picked up an injury playing in the game I missed.   Made me feel like a proper sportsman, me and John, sat there discussing our injuries.

A more public one.  Leeds away on New Years day 1987, I was there on my own for some reason.  Anyway, late in the game we had a chance of a penalty.  David Hobbs' kick hit the upright bouncing back into the field of play.  Everybody stood there frozen apart from Terry Flanagan who just trotted through everyone, collected the ball and scored under the posts.  Oldham won 26-20.  

Archived