Who is your favorite player of all time?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:25 AM, amm said:

Agree with Gubrats and thebull13  - Woody by a country mile. Naturally gifted, part time era, none of your conditioning and healthy eating malarkey, unless you count a few pints in the Courts hotel. A rugby brain and talent a plenty and an absolute masterclass of skill to watch. We were very very lucky people to watch him in his pomp.

Lots of favs around the same era from stars like Dessie Drummond to 100%  run their blood to water Leigh lads like Mick Hogan, Terry Bilsbury and David Eckersley

I remember Bradford signing Terry Holmes from Wales RU in 1986 (I think) and Woods was his half back partner.  They were playing an evening game at Fev (well it was dark anyway) and Woods was just gliding over the turf, and making Holmes look good.  He'd have made an orang utan look good would Woods.  Great player, Kevin Brown reminds me of him.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Dean Bell, made that great Wigan side tick

Martin Offiah,especially in the widnes years,remember going to Whitehaven for a Thursday night lancs cup game in 87 just to see him in the flesh on the basis of what I had read and he didn't disappoint in a ridiculously tight game.Great days in the county cups I had already watched town play the wire on the Wednesday.

Greatest ever - Brett Kenny. Pure class. Fast, elusive, good passer of the ball, and never shirked the defensive side either. He didn't have a kicking game, but I don't watch RL to see players kick the ball.

Greatest English - Ellery Hanley. Devastating runner of the ball, which is what RL is all about. Also a very underrated defender, and as tough a RL player as you will ever see. This guy probably took more biff than anyone, and yet he kept coming back for more. Legend. He couldn't kick either.

20 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Greatest ever - Brett Kenny. Pure class. Fast, elusive, good passer of the ball, and never shirked the defensive side either. He didn't have a kicking game, but I don't watch RL to see players kick the ball.

Greatest English - Ellery Hanley. Devastating runner of the ball, which is what RL is all about. Also a very underrated defender, and as tough a RL player as you will ever see. This guy probably took more biff than anyone, and yet he kept coming back for more. Legend. He couldn't kick either.

Even as a Saints fan I wouldn't argue with either of them. It was a privilege to be able to watch them both even if it was only a season with Kenny. I'd just give the top spot to Hanley firstly because he was so devastating for so long and secondly because of how he was able to change his game during his career. Starting of as a raw winger at Bradford who you could see had very little understanding of the game but was a great athlete. Who then moved through centre then stand off before finishing up as a loose forward that new every trick in the book. 

I am surprised no-one has mentioned Alan Hardisty ....  a ghost of a half back ... saw space where it didn't exist!    I am also surprised no-one has mentioned Mike Stephenson .... as a player ..forget the pundit!!  an amazing hooker when hookers were hookers and lightening over 10 yards!!  

My username comes from a Huyton back row forward that Ray French often waxed lyrical about on Radio Merseyside. When I was finally brave enough to go to Alt Park he did look a class above his teammates with good handling skills. He looked a bit like a hero of mine, John Conteh, which also added to the aura.

I know absolutely nothing about his background and there's probably no video footage of him so my memories from the few times I saw him can't be sullied as often happens with internet research these days.

Archived