Who is your favorite player of all time?

32 minutes ago, wilson said:

Just to stir things up a bit ... how come that Super League (the greatest thing ever to have happened to the game) has still to produce a single name (apart from those offered by young Ash) to stand shoulder to shoulder with names from the past. Surely after 20 years there must be somebody who has benefited from full-time coaching, training and medical treatment who can compare with those old dodderers and their flat caps). OK. so it's a bit of a wind-up from somebody who can remember Willie Horne (I was only young!) and was an Alex Murphy fan. Come on you young uns, give us some names.

I'm sure it has more to do with the average age of the people who use this forum. Ask a lot of 20-somethings and you will probably get Lesley Vainakolo, Stacey Jones, Paul Sculthorpe, Jamie Lyon etc. Nostalgia does play a part. There is something about being a young kid and being amazed with a player and what they can do. For some it is the toughness and the biff, for others it is creativity or speed.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billy Boston.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Ellery Hanley for me but Brett Kenny was a close 2nd

Hanley had everything.  Speed, strength and was a tough hombre.  Kenny was an exceptional player, who kept Lewis out of the Kangaroos.  Both could unlock defences from all distances.  

I couldn't separate them, but would have to add Andrew Johns.

2 hours ago, Padge said:

Billy Boston.

End this thread; there is nothing more to be said!  Padge has given the only correct answer!

Wayne Pearce, the most determined player I ever saw on the field, fearless tackler and superb athlete.

Closer to home, Arnold "Boxer" Walker the greatest scrum half of his generation who often topped the old "Open Rugby" magazine world rankings but yet somehow always got ignored by the Yorkshire/Lancashire based GB selectors.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1. Johnny Wolford. Never looked like he'd spent the close season in the gym, came straight from a week or so working on an oil rig to win us a Yorkshire Cup Final. Didn't like tackling unless it was absolutely necessary, when he could drop his man with effiency. Had not very much pace but could mesmerise defences before he walked through them to deliver a perfectly timed pass to a supporting player. Not soft, but a gentleman on the field.

2. Dave Redfearn, played his heart out on the wing, was a more than decent stand off. Turned out for Northern when he was limping from the start. Stuck with the club through thick and thin, then was poorly treated when he broke his leg.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

With full time rugby league and faster fitter forwards , tackling techniques targeting stopping the ball moving , all mean less time and space for the creative player to show his worth .That is why i think most people on this thread put up players from a bygone era (myself included)  .

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:54 PM, wilson said:

Just to stir things up a bit ... how come that Super League (the greatest thing ever to have happened to the game) has still to produce a single name (apart from those offered by young Ash) to stand shoulder to shoulder with names from the past. Surely after 20 years there must be somebody who has benefited from full-time coaching, training and medical treatment who can compare with those old dodderers and their flat caps). OK. so it's a bit of a wind-up from somebody who can remember Willie Horne (I was only young!) and was an Alex Murphy fan. Come on you young uns, give us some names.

I'm no spring chicken, but I'd say Kevin Sinfield comes closest to the best "all Super League" player I've seen regularly.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

If it's a question of favourite instead of best, my favourite by a long chalk has to be Paul Medley.  Always gave everything, a wholehearted, hard running batterer.  Always got the crowd going and never took a backward step, the fella was a missile off the bench; the fact he did so much with the kids at Bradford after he retired just adds to the integrity of the man.  Top lad.

Archived