Who is your favorite player of all time?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-5-5 at 10:47 AM, ivans82 said:

With full time rugby league and faster fitter forwards , tackling techniques targeting stopping the ball moving , all mean less time and space for the creative player to show his worth .That is why i think most people on this thread put up players from a bygone era (myself included)  .

I think you have left out the main reason for less time and space for the creative player Ivan, for me it is far far to many substitutions, it allows the big guy's to do short bursts, we hear so many times in today's game such and such has played big minutes he has been on the field for 40 mins, for goodness sake it's only half a game.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

4 hours ago, Gregory Peccary said:

Paul Charlton.

A wonderful player. Was it Paul Charlton of whom Eddie Waring said "He likes to run"? But he was an outstanding defender. He seemed to totally control the back field, reading the game perfectly, and tackled everything that came his way. What is the change which means that modern fullbacks rarely have a breakaway attacker to face in the middle of the field?

My choice:

Peter Smith.

15 years for Featherstone Rovers. 6 GB caps. A Challenge Cup winners medal. The best tackler I ever saw, in that when a tackle was essential, Peter Smith would be there to put the man down, one on one, with a perfectly timed leg tackle. A ball-handling loose forward who could read the game and pass and catch as well as any stand-off or play maker.

18 hours ago, Cerulean said:

A wonderful player. Was it Paul Charlton of whom Eddie Waring said "He likes to run"? But he was an outstanding defender. He seemed to totally control the back field, reading the game perfectly, and tackled everything that came his way. What is the change which means that modern fullbacks rarely have a breakaway attacker to face in the middle of the field?

Charlo was playing the "modern" full back role 40 years ahead of his time. As you say he was a brilliant defender, but he also used to put in perfectly timed runs to burst onto the ball in attack and his speed and sidestep did the rest. A wonderful player in all aspects of the game.

My childhood heroes...

IMG_0089.JPG

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I have spent a week thinking about this.  I loved watching the likes of Dean Bell and Kurt Sorenson from NZ and from Australia it was Noel Cleal, Mal Meninga, Wally Lewis, Peter Sterling and and Bret Kenny (or pretty much any one of the1986 and 1990 Kangaroos).

More recently Andrew Johns and Lockyer.  Even today Smith, Thurston, Cronk and Inglis.

Des Drummond, Tony Myler, Paul Newlove and Kevin Ward are probably my favourite British players (I will have forgotten a few!).

But one player sticks out more than any other over the last 30 years of watching our game.  The most entertaining and probably the best player I have ever seen, the one and only Ellery Hanley.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Aussie wise, got to be Joey Johns or Cam Smith (too close to call) Jonathan Thurston not far away either

Best of British, Difficult to judge across era's but for mine toss up between Malcolm Reilly and Ellery Hanley

Closer to home, Brian Edgar and Eddie Bowman stand out for rme

always liked brendan tuta myself,and still have a pair a  lee crooks BIG boots i won in a raffle. but having seen Ellery Hanley in the u12s you knew he were quality of the highest order. and one tough son of a gun too.:aggressive:

A few, depending where I was living and which team I was watching! In alphabetical order:

Chris Anderson (Halifax), Steve Dobson (Ryedale-York), Mal Meninga (St Helens), Ian 'Dancer' Thomas (Huddersfield), Dave Watson (Whitehaven).

Hello, long time lurker but first time poster.

I started following this forum around 18 months ago as a way to learn more about the game I had fallen in love with but this is the first thread that has compelled me absolutely to post.

I started playing rugby at 14 at school and found I was okay at it (in spite of my 5 foot 5 imposing stature) and found I enjoyed it. I started watching the challenge cup as a way to learn more and hopefully improve. It was there on the beeb that I found Lee Briers. I started trying to do everything I saw him do; with one hundredth of the talent unfortunately.

But that was me. I started following Warrington; (coming from Manchester and being a city fan I could not bring myself to support anyone with the tagline red devils!), and admittedly following them meant watching them whenever they were on the BBC; indeed the only challenge cup victory where I was a "proper fan" was the most recent against Leeds, but I continued to watch because of Lee Briers.

I went with a friend to watch Warrington at 16, my first game, I got the train from Urmston to Warrington and we won but at that time it was Lee Briers who I went to watch. His kick to Monaghan was executed perfectly and for mine was poetry in motion. I was happy that Warrington won but on the train home it was Briers who I waxed lyrical about. Till 18 I continued to go to Warrington occasionally but it wasn't until that year I became a fan. It hurt when Warrington lost and the referee was always useless; how could he not see that that was forward! My word I'd fallen hopelessly in love with the game and the Warrington team.

My friend and I fell out, as friends do, and I dragged my football mad Dad to a game. He loved it; and over the 5 years since has become a true wire, but on the train home my Dad was saying, that number 6 was good wasn't he. He was. He was fantastic. Now me, my Dad and mum frequently go to Warrington, (though my Mum never saw Briers play) and are all consumed by this fandom. Its wonderful.

I can't say that I would have fallen in love with rugby league without him, and I certainly can't say that I would be a Warrington fan without him; going home and away. 

I owe so much to this game. I have, I feel, become part of the rugby league community, it has made my Mum care about sport and given my Dad and I a new lease of life as we become more and more disillusioned with football, (stone me this is a long post you'll be sorry I signed up!) and I have met wonderful, beautifully mad, lunatics through this game.

In my opinion I owe all of that to one Lee Briers.

What a player.

Thank you Lee; for all of this.

Welcome aboard, tjhrads93. Great first post!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I still remember being at the bottom of the pavilion steps at watersheddings when the huge brute that is Les Boyd darkened the sky as he lumbered past...what a brutal, nasty, solid bruiser of a bloke was he...Not a nice man when his dander was up(Often) but what a beast...frightening!

As was our own Brian Hogan....

Not easy to answer this because of the length of time i have watched the game, and how much it's changed , making it very difficult to compare

So i will go for two who i have respected as much as any, Brit Lewis Jones, Aussie Steve Menzies.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Archived