Replacing CLS

Has anyone thought of a replacement for CLS? Losing this does not help improve standards. A replacement could be the winners of London, east, west, midlands & north east (even better if wales join) play each other once in the season following their "local" comps. This would enable them to compete in their own leagues also. With only 2 or 3 (if wales join) clubs should be ok. If 6 teams in north east teams could be guranteed only 2 away games as all their away games would be long distances. I am sure sponsorship could help. It would be a replacement for CLS and called the harry jepson trophy. Winning the harry jepson takes 3 games anyway, so very few extra weekends needed. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think this is the right approach.

I think we should work on getting two leagues of 8-10 clubs playing a full season by 2019 or 2020.

One league I would base on South Wales and the West of England. The other one I'd mainly look at clubs from the London and the East premiers but then also add Leicester and Northampton

Still misses out north east big time. A shorter season could include them. The longer the season the less teams available. A full season I assume would be teams playing all home &a away. So 14 - 18 games? Needs sorting out to get the standard up. Montreal in the west could help make up the numbers! But seriously cls needs replacing. Poorly named comp when Sheffield & Nottingham had teams in it! Harry jepson needs keeping as a development comp. it's what he seemed to be for. Not just a rep match unless it's a rep comp with all the 6 premier leagues, in which case it could be a club comp I mentioned earlier!

25 minutes ago, bowes said:

I don't think this is the right approach.

I think we should work on getting two leagues of 8-10 clubs playing a full season by 2019 or 2020.

One league I would base on South Wales and the West of England. The other one I'd mainly look at clubs from the London and the East premiers but then also add Leicester and Northampton

Your thoughts and the RFL thoughts of having a full season have actually got less people playing the game, it's time common sense and reality sank in, there is nothing wrong with back tracking to what to me seemed a very good system that allowed people from other sports to dip their toes into our game.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

50 minutes ago, kev p said:

Still misses out north east big time. A shorter season could include them. The longer the season the less teams available. A full season I assume would be teams playing all home &a away. So 14 - 18 games? Needs sorting out to get the standard up. Montreal in the west could help make up the numbers! But seriously cls needs replacing. Poorly named comp when Sheffield & Nottingham had teams in it! Harry jepson needs keeping as a development comp. it's what he seemed to be for. Not just a rep match unless it's a rep comp with all the 6 premier leagues, in which case it could be a club comp I mentioned earlier!

Gateshead are in the NCL wouldn't that be the sensible pathway for the clubs up there?

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Gateshead are in the NCL wouldn't that be the sensible pathway for the clubs up there?

I wouldn't be totally surprised if a club or two went and played in the higher divisions of the Yorkshire Men's League eventually.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Your thoughts and the RFL thoughts of having a full season have actually got less people playing the game, it's time common sense and reality sank in, there is nothing wrong with back tracking to what to me seemed a very good system that allowed people from other sports to dip their toes into our game.

I really don't see the point of developing clubs just to be a kick around in the RU off season. Fair enough if that's an entry into the sport but it shouldn't be the be all and end all

Just now, bowes said:

I wouldn't be totally surprised if a club or two went and played in the higher divisions of the Yorkshire Men's League eventually.

That'd make more sense than going in a Southern League

2 hours ago, bowes said:

I really don't see the point of developing clubs just to be a kick around in the RU off season. Fair enough if that's an entry into the sport but it shouldn't be the be all and end all

With a season running May to August that is all that is happening at the moment

32 minutes ago, Defender1 said:

With a season running May to August that is all that is happening at the moment

Yeah I know. I think part of the problem is they tried to go straight for a southern version of the NCL. What they needed were a couple of full season southern leagues maybe more comparable to say the Hull league or Cumbria/Cumberland League

8 minutes ago, bowes said:

Yeah I know. I think part of the problem is they tried to go straight for a southern version of the NCL. What they needed were a couple of full season southern leagues maybe more comparable to say the Hull league or Cumbria/Cumberland League

But the problem is Bowes, when CLS wad born the competing teams were the only ones who could sustain it.

With 10 to 12 clubs it would have been a great league and served the purpose well but to get the volume of games meant a repetitive fixture list and sadly the rot was probably setting in before ot started.

3 hours ago, bowes said:

The point in doing it in the first place was to give people an introduction into rugby league, this system worked very well and as I've stated many more clubs seemed to be playing within that system than now, it would be a fair call to say that more played during the winter than now in the summer and that was without piggybacks and handouts.

6 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Okay so you give them an introduction into rugby league (like they are already getting now). Then what? 

it's obvious that there wasn't enough players/clubs to go into a full season and for me it' should be about getting the numbers playing the game not flags on a map, the RFL failed clubs when they pulled the development officers from around the country, by now if they hadn't we would be seeing a trickle of juniors pushing into the open-age game,  when the trickle becomes a stream we could then have looked at a longer season.

5 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

So what you're saying is that the issue was clubs going into a full season without enough players, when clubs haven't gone into full seasons?

Not sure what you mean completely but to the first bit yes and  to many are over ambitious and are trying to run before they can walk.

5 hours ago, brassey said:

when that trickle becomes a drip the s  hit will hit the fan marauder

Heading that way at a lot of clubs who once put two open aged teams on the park, we are already getting players from summer clubs asking if they can come down next season in the Pennine league , we've got our AGM this Sunday and we'll be talking about running two teams (maybe one in the 11 aside division to start with)

It's pretty obvious you need a twin track approach. There are clearly clubs and players wanting a full length season, so something like Bowes' suggestion of a southern league split east and west makes sense. And then a continuance of the current regional leagues for the clubs who wish to remain in a shortened season. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

If the longer season bowes goes for, 8 teams in east & west looks like the best set up. Would give a 14 game season. West currently ha 12 teams (11 clubs, wales 6, together with the Devon clubs should make up a strong "west conference" with enough clubs to also make up a Welsh &a west of England (or sw). The "east conference" could be made up with 8 clubs from east, midlands & London. Harry jepson trophy could be competed for top 2 from east & west plus north east winners. 

I'd consider restructuring the Harry Jepson Trophy to be a cup competition for any club south of Sheffield that wants to enter; basically like the Southern Counties Cup that BARLA used to run.

I'd make the two southern leagues standalone leagues with the winners of each invited to the Challenge Cup the following season. If there were going to be a knockout for league winners I'd want to include the heartland leagues as well a bit like the old BARLA Champions of Champions competition, but also like the old RLC model

Archived