Replacing CLS

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, topcentre21 said:

I think union is blossoming at top level but lower down id say its struggling more than league.

Clubs in my area used to field 4 teams now struggle to get 1!

Theres also alot thats gone completely same as league.

I would not disagree, possibly regional issues, it is not what it was in Hull, perhaps their figures are fudged like RL

6 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

Marauder have bentley got afew of tollbar lads because theyve been getting 2 sides out ive noticed?

No mate, Toll Bar and Bentley don't get on at all, I couldn't see their players switching clubs, Bentley have picked up a few union lads and youngsters from a junior side they had a couple of years ago. Toll Bar are suffering, The Moorends players who helped them climb the leagues haven't gone back in numbers this year (one played last week) and they've lost their coach (Young family & to much to do in the summer) Pete Green back to Doncaster a couple each to Hemel and York, their injury list is pretty awful as well.

Bentley have moved out of Wheatley Hills union club and play about a mile from Toll Bar as the crow flies.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

11 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

I think union is blossoming at top level but lower down id say its struggling more than league.

Clubs in my area used to field 4 teams now struggle to get 1!

Theres also alot thats gone completely same as league.

They have countered the losses in mens with big increases in juniors, women and casual participation variants like touch rugby.  

Athletics and Triathlon have also embraced the 'casual' participation element with park run and sprint triathlons.  

Some on these boards think spending money on tag or touch rugby league is a waste of time and money.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

If a midweek game was over subscribed, perhaps this the answer, a few midweek games. Were you home or away? Might be different if the game was an hour away though. Playing local derbies midweek might work. 

On 16/05/2017 at 9:25 PM, Defender1 said:

A minority sport like ice hockey has tried to expand in the past but now seems to invest in its core and survives with its core fans

Section A3 - Finance final pdf (1).pdf

Without expansion to the likes of Sheffield, Cardiff and Belfast Ice Hockey in the UK would be in deep trouble now.  Had Ice Hockey or Speedway depended on their traditional heartlands they wouldn't be struggling now they would be as good as dead.  British Baseball is a pretty good example of what happens when you try to entrench in your heartlands and don't bother about making converts.

Here the local football and cricket leagues are struggling with a clear downturn in participation numbers.  About the only sport in this country showing growth from a meaningful base is Basketball.  So get a base in American Urban culture and all Rugby League's problems will be solved!

8 hours ago, Norfolk said:

Without expansion to the likes of Sheffield, Cardiff and Belfast Ice Hockey in the UK would be in deep trouble now.  Had Ice Hockey or Speedway depended on their traditional heartlands they wouldn't be struggling now they would be as good as dead.  British Baseball is a pretty good example of what happens when you try to entrench in your heartlands and don't bother about making converts.

Here the local football and cricket leagues are struggling with a clear downturn in participation numbers.  About the only sport in this country showing growth from a meaningful base is Basketball.  So get a base in American Urban culture and all Rugby League's problems will be solved!

I was using Ice Hockey as an example and I would not disagree.

IMO we had a strong base, but by trying to expand all we have done is dilute the small amount of money we have, a lot of amateur players have stepped up leaving their clubs short and diluting the standard.  What has been achieved? has the game grown with the investment? IMO no real increase in participation, but good luck to the people who are trying to expand our the game

For those that remember the competing CLS plans from last year, the Nottingham Plan is back on the table for 2018, which was two super-conferences covering three of the six "Southern" regions each.

8 hours ago, bbfaz said:

For those that remember the competing CLS plans from last year, the Nottingham Plan is back on the table for 2018, which was two super-conferences covering three of the six "Southern" regions each.

Re the above, just been told by a little bird that the RFL have had a meeting (today I think) about a complete reshuffle of the amateur game outside of the 'heartlands' for the 2018 season. Anyone heard anything?

21 hours ago, Jasper said:

Re the above, just been told by a little bird that the RFL have had a meeting (today I think) about a complete reshuffle of the amateur game outside of the 'heartlands' for the 2018 season. Anyone heard anything?

I think this is much needed. E.g. In the midlands if you could get Northampton, Leicester and Coventry Dragons in a league with the better London teams then you could add Leamington and hopefully Telford to the midlands division one to have an eight team league 

Essentially, Jasper, they're just trying to create a new, larger CLS under a different name.  This has been the plan for as long as I've been involved in RL.  Best of Wales/West/South West into a Western Premier, best of London/East/Midlands into an Eastern Premier.  8-10 in each.  Then the leagues below that would formally "feed" into those leagues, though it's doubtful you could have promotion and relegation between the two, especially given they're looking for a longer season.

As I said when this was discussed before, if you took Chargers, Wests and Hammersmith (perhaps Eastern, though they're struggling this year), essentially you leave behind Skolars A, Surrey and Richmond.  You'd then have the keen teams from the league below to fill in, maybe even Chargers or Wests A.  It would be a beefed-up combination of the South East Regional League and London Division One (from 2014), all in one league.  It would be much more winnable, that's for sure.

There are rumours about the RFL dropping some League 1 clubs into a new development league. I wonder if clubs like London Chargers and West Wales would opt for that or the new regionalised CLS?

13 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Essentially, Jasper, they're just trying to create a new, larger CLS under a different name.  This has been the plan for as long as I've been involved in RL.  Best of Wales/West/South West into a Western Premier, best of London/East/Midlands into an Eastern Premier.  8-10 in each.  Then the leagues below that would formally "feed" into those leagues, though it's doubtful you could have promotion and relegation between the two, especially given they're looking for a longer season.

As I said when this was discussed before, if you took Chargers, Wests and Hammersmith (perhaps Eastern, though they're struggling this year), essentially you leave behind Skolars A, Surrey and Richmond.  You'd then have the keen teams from the league below to fill in, maybe even Chargers or Wests A.  It would be a beefed-up combination of the South East Regional League and London Division One (from 2014), all in one league.  It would be much more winnable, that's for sure.

Thanks for that bbf, also just came across this,  might be of interest to some -

New Southern Rugby League Competition set to launch in 2018

http://www.rugby-league.com/article/40143/new-southern-rugby-league-competition-set-to-launch-in-

In my opinion, it'll be a bigger struggle to find 8 teams to fill the Western Division than finding 8 to fill the Eastern, which I guess is why they've said this structure will not be filled immediately.

7 hours ago, bowes said:

There are rumours about the RFL dropping some League 1 clubs into a new development league. I wonder if clubs like London Chargers and West Wales would opt for that or the new regionalised CLS?

I'd like to know how someone living down South hears these rumours before anyone living on the door step, as anyone actually met you Bowesy  :) or are you Nosy Parkers love child ?

Looks like the plan for next season is pretty much as discussed on this forum. Well done lads, or did they get it from us. So could be CLE & CLW? Maybe progression to NCL if clubs are up to it with facilities etc.

As I said before, this plan was proposed last year by Nottingham Outlaws, who probably won't take part now they're in the Yorkshire Men's League.  There's an element of common sense involved.

17 hours ago, bbfaz said:

As I said before, this plan was proposed last year by Nottingham Outlaws, who probably won't take part now they're in the Yorkshire Men's League.  There's an element of common sense involved.

Won't they? Wouldn't it make sense for Nottingham to slot back into it?

2 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

I'm not sure really, though I know maybe 5/6 years ago Outlaws were in one of the National Conference leagues with teams like Underbank and Bramley, and I think when CLS started it was probably the right level for us. 

I can only speak as a player but I'm enjoying playing in the Yorkshire league because we can't afford to have off-days or be poor technically and expect to get away with it. For me personally I'd rather play in a league where we might not finish top or even make the playoffs but we get challenged to play well and improve every single match - maybe moving to YML has made us be more aware of this. 

Well said,  it will also make you all better players and I'm sure you'll be in the top half of the table.

I went to your game against Toll Bar and even though they had a poor side (compared to last season)  I was impressed in the way your lads kept their shape and discipline,

17 hours ago, DoubleD said:

So why didn't they join the YML previously?

After we won the Harry Jepson in 2008 we chose to step up a level and moved into what was then called Conference National (I think, or maybe NL3) it had teams like Bramley, Underbank, Featherstone Lions, Kippax, Warrington Woolsten and was a tough competitive league and the obvious progression from a pyramid perspective.  Also at that stage I think the Northern game was still primarily winter and so didn't have a stable set up to join (happy to be corrected on that)

The league evolved into National Conference South and as the better Northern teams moved into other structures/leagues e.g. Underbank went into Nat Conf the overall quality fell and travelling increased dramatically e.g. 3x Welsh teams entered. Still it had its merits as a Southern based league (Sheffield Eagles being the Northern outpost) and provided some good tests, albeit not on a weekly basis, but that dissolved last year and so the YML was joined, that seems to be providing a good test with manageable travel so gives a good option for the future.

Personal view only but that Conference National in 2009/10 period was probably the highest standard league the Outlaws have been involved in with some genuine quality sides, teams getting paid and teams with dual reg agreements. It was great to be involved in.  

So that's my (personal) view on why we didn't join previously.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Archived