Replacing CLS

• 3 months later...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's looking less and less likely this will be happening next season. I'm not sure the Midlands could survive another season like this year so wonder if there'll be an alternative option? I certainly don't think clubs will get stronger playing in the local leagues 

Yeah, I've heard similar things.  Some of the teams who originally declared interest are now no longer interested.  Others are interested but the Eastern League, if it goes ahead, will be significantly weaker than the one mooted.

31 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

Yeah, I've heard similar things.  Some of the teams who originally declared interest are now no longer interested.  Others are interested but the Eastern League, if it goes ahead, will be significantly weaker than the one mooted.

I know Northampton don't feel ready, they've had some changes in their committee as well I believe

12 hours ago, kev p said:

Perhaps the midlands could merge with eastern league to keep standard up. Maybe west mid teams could go to western div. looks like this seasons midlands premier pretty much folded

Possibly, though you'd need to move Brentwood to a London based division I think in that scenario (or drop them to East Division 1, if that still exists). I don't think West Mids teams in West would work, but Northampton in east would easily. Coventry Dragons in East would still be reasonably close to everyone apart from Brentwood

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:59 PM, DoubleD said:

So why didn't they join the YML previously?

They where located in the North Midland division originally so I suppose it was in the midlands they thought they belonged

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

2 minutes ago, Marauder said:

They where located in the North Midland division originally so I suppose it was in the midlands they thought they belonged

Plus the YML has improved a lot in standard over the last few years. The first couple of seasons it was mainly NCL reserve teams

1 hour ago, bowes said:

Plus the YML has improved a lot in standard over the last few years. The first couple of seasons it was mainly NCL reserve teams

Then came the teams who had no where to go when they skipped from the CMS Yorkshire league to the Pennine to find the grass wasn't greener and the RFL Community board wouldn't allow the CMS to start up again.

I remember my old club joining the pennine league believing it was a good strong well run league which the yorkshire league wasnt, it was letting certain teams get away with everything and visiting certain places just wasnt worth the hassle it was like going to an organised brawl rather than a rugby game.

The pennine league went just the same way i remember one game when a coach and secretary of a club confronted and basically chased the referee from the field infront of 3 members of the league commitee and nothing was done!

From what ive seen of summer rugby it seems theres more rugby played than fighting i know theres the odd bust up thats to be expected i dont know if thats done to league being strict or players attitudes have changed?

1 hour ago, topcentre21 said:

I remember my old club joining the pennine league believing it was a good strong well run league which the yorkshire league wasnt, it was letting certain teams get away with everything and visiting certain places just wasnt worth the hassle it was like going to an organised brawl rather than a rugby game.

The pennine league went just the same way i remember one game when a coach and secretary of a club confronted and basically chased the referee from the field infront of 3 members of the league commitee and nothing was done!

From what ive seen of summer rugby it seems theres more rugby played than fighting i know theres the odd bust up thats to be expected i dont know if thats done to league being strict or players attitudes have changed?

That's exactly why my club left the Yorkshire league. The. Pennine went a bit of the same way in the end, for a period of time the premier Division was one of the best in the country. Alot of them style teams and clubs have been found out, because of their in ability to not follow the rules. I remember certain teams in the old CMS league refusing to play away games and playing home matches and 'taking heads off' and winning, finishing above my team because we played all the top teams home and away and lost by more than. 24/0 that they received for giving games, get the league never did anything about it. 

We went to the Pennine because after Christmas you could go weeks without having a game, we actually went something like 4 weeks without a game, then 7 weeks to play Queens at home (We'd beat them away) they beat us with 2 very late tries simply because we'd lost our match fitness, we waited another 4 weeks before our last game of the season which we also just got pipped, we went from 1st to 3rd in the division which gave us an away draw in the top four, we went away the team we played wouldn't produce their ID Cards, a club secretary from one of the local clubs pointed out they had ringers in before the game started we went to the referee who brushed us off, we phoned the league whilel the game was going on and they brushed us off - We wasn't one of the clubs the league sucked up to, so we left, the Pennine said they had stopped taking teams from the CMS Yorkshire league so we simply dropped out of winter rugby for a season and then applied for the Pennine the year after.

• 2 weeks later...

The failure of the RFL to deliver a decent elite community pathway in the South is a huge blow - to Hemel and other southern-based clubs in the South - in it's attempts to create a proper pathway to League 1  in the South. With only three clubs  expressing an interest in the proposed East Premier League and clubs like London Skolars not even sending a repesentative to the meeting of the clubs, let alone joining the competition, it shows you just how fragile and deeply unambitious the sport is in the South.

This is a bit rich from a club who didn't want to play in CLS and has a pro set up in Dewsbury. Skolars wouldn't have met the criteria as they cried off games this season. They will be lucky to get back in the London league. Not sure what more the RFL can do. They offered a higher level competition. If the clubs do not want a longer season what can they do.

On 13/09/2017 at 8:33 PM, Hemel Rugby League said:

The failure of the RFL to deliver a decent elite community pathway in the South is a huge blow - to Hemel and other southern-based clubs in the South - in it's attempts to create a proper pathway to League 1  in the South. With only three clubs  expressing an interest in the proposed East Premier League and clubs like London Skolars not even sending a repesentative to the meeting of the clubs, let alone joining the competition, it shows you just how fragile and deeply unambitious the sport is in the South.

This is the club who never entered a team in the original Conference League South when your League 1 colleagues Coventry, Gloucester and Oxford all did! Very unambitious indeed....

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

Most away games would only be 2 - 3 hours travelling, probably worth doing if they want a decent league. But then I suppose they never joined the original CLS so maybe they don't have the appetite to travel that much. 

They applied for CLS and had the application rejected I think. 

10 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

My understanding was they were going to join and then decided against it last minute. I wasn't at the meetings or anything though, so that's second-hand information and may be wrong! 

You are right.

15 hours ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

This is the club who never entered a team in the original Conference League South when your League 1 colleagues Coventry, Gloucester and Oxford all did! Very unambitious indeed....

ambitious v Realism and how many of these new clubs actually train in their own towns and how many are actually being propped up by loan and NCL players.

Archived