U19s Top of Table Clash

...at Edgehill Rd, Orrell 2pm Saturday.

Wigan v Castleford

The young tigers are following in the pawprints of the senior side - 3 points clear and with a ferocious points difference.

But the warriors have 2 games in hand, and are the only team to have beaten the tigers so far this season.

http://www.rugby-league.com/leagues__competitions/academies/fixtures_results_and_tables

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Interesting how many draws there have been!

4 draws in 60 games is a little on the high side, but not particularly unusual for a reasonably level league. The championship and league 1 middle 8 stage had higher ratios last year, for example.

12 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

Sorry to preach for my own church but the Catalans spot is worthy of applause. 

The team is very young, and they have been without Albert, Da Costa and sometimes Séguier. 

Catalans could've probably won more games if they didn't rotate their team so much, I watched the u19s against Wakefield and there only seemed to be about 4-5 regulars playing, they lost 40-22 or something and I'm pretty sure they would've won easily if they had their strongest team.

8 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

I watched the u19s against Wakefield and there only seemed to be about 4-5 regulars playing, they lost 40-22 or something and I'm pretty sure they would've won easily if they had their strongest team.

Good to see Wakefield's U19s are preparing for life in Wakefield 1st team by only winning when the opposition have injuries, viral infections or play the worst they've ever played. ;)

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Wigan 40 Castleford 20

Report from Wigan website...

Wigan Warriors Under 19s stand-off Harry Smith praised the Under-19s as they beat Castleford Under-19s 40-20 at the Fairhurst Accountants Community Stadium.

Smith ran in two tries in a performance that also saw him put in three of his teammates for tries in an important win for the Warriors.

Despite a fine individual performance, Smith paid credit to his teammates: “I played alright but it was more of a team performance, especially in the second half.” He said.

“I think we really came out and our defence rattled them and that’s what got us our chances to score.”

The first half was a tight affair with Wigan leading just 12-10 at the break but the home had the better of the second half running in five tries to secure a fine win.

“I thought it was mainly our defence, we thought they were making too many yards but once we cut that down and cut out the penalties, we really dominated them.”

It was a hard fought win against the league leaders who were difficult to break down during the first half where both teams put in a lot of work and scored two tries.

“They’re top of the league for a reason,” said Smith. “It was a really tough game, they’ve got some tough backs and forwards, it was just good to get the win.”

Wigan stand off Smith was influential throughout the game scoring in both halves and setting up three others. Both tries from Smith came from impressive steps.

“That’s my best way of scoring because I’m not going to bump anyone off,” he laughed. “I’ll take any try as it comes!”

On 09/05/2017 at 11:48 PM, Evil Homer said:

Catalans could've probably won more games if they didn't rotate their team so much, I watched the u19s against Wakefield and there only seemed to be about 4-5 regulars playing, they lost 40-22 or something and I'm pretty sure they would've won easily if they had their strongest team.

This would be the same Wakefield team that played Catalans best team in France and lost by just 10 points!

The same Wakefield team that won easily against Catalan in the return game

The same Wakefield team that's just battered Sts at Sts

Im not sure that Catalans strongest team have shown enough to suggest they'd beat Wakefield at Wakefield at all.

16 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

This would be the same Wakefield team that played Catalans best team in France and lost by just 10 points!

The same Wakefield team that won easily against Catalan in the return game

The same Wakefield team that's just battered Sts at Sts

Im not sure that Catalans strongest team have shown enough to suggest they'd beat Wakefield at Wakefield at all.

I was at the Catalans - Wakefield game and it wasn't our best team. Albert, Séguier and Da Costa weren't there. 

I think we'd have a shot. 

Archived