Players Visas for Toronto trip

morty

There was an interview with Cresta on Radio Cumbria this morning apparently in which he mentioned that some players were stuggling with Canadian Visas ? Any updates on this, names etc??

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the possible reasons is if a player has a criminal record.

In that case there are extra hoops to jump through. IF that is a reason for the hold up it wouldnt be right to drag it into the public domain.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Ron I wasnt getting at why but who we could be without due to this?

Lee Morton

Surely this is one of those issues the RFL should have taken in to consideration from the outset, especially as TWP is an all English team.  Now, if any team visiting Canada cannot pick it's first choice squad then it seems only fair and reasonable they cannot be expected to make the long and expensive journey and as TWP is an English team there would be no problems for them to play those games here in Blighty.

Talking about criminal records, can anyone remember Max Bygraves Deck of Cards, that was a criminal record.

1 hour ago, SJD said:

Surely this is one of those issues the RFL should have taken in to consideration from the outset, especially as TWP is an all English team.  Now, if any team visiting Canada cannot pick it's first choice squad then it seems only fair and reasonable they cannot be expected to make the long and expensive journey and as TWP is an English team there would be no problems for them to play those games here in Blighty.

Talking about criminal records, can anyone remember Max Bygraves Deck of Cards, that was a criminal record.

I agree with Ron on keeping it private.

The Wolfpack is NOT an English team BUT a Canadian team.  Toronto is in the province of Ontario in the country of Canada.  We are really looking forward to having you guys come over here for a big game...the crowd will be into it.  If some of your players are held up for whatever reason (and that is their personal business) so be it, but the other guys shouldn't have to miss the FREE trip to Canada and the unique experience because of it.  The Oxford Team had a great time over here!. Check out the tweets from their players after the game.

Please check out the Toronto team profiles and there are many players who are not English....make no doubt about it...this is a true CANADIAN team...we are a multicultural team for a multicultural country and city.. We are progressive.

Looking forward to the game against Barrow!  Hopefully some of your fans can come over to and enjoy the city and welcome we are preparing.  The beer will be cold and waiting.beer.  Can't wait.

"Run with the pack!"

I thought for a second you said Toronto were a Canadian team, perhaps a quick look at the official TWP website might help. 

1 Australian

1 NZ

1 Tongan (with visa problems)

1 USA

2 Canadians

Nearly forgot 20 UK plus 3 more on the coaching staff.

So unless they all have Canadian grandparents it's an English team, there isn't enough local players to make up the water boys.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

but the other guys shouldn't have to miss the FREE trip to Canada and the unique experience because of it.  

That is one of the big issues of why there is some antipathy to this project from the clubs.

it is anything but free (as per Tououse last year)  and clubs travelling to Toronto have been landed with a very large unexpected bill

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Find it sad that clubs have been met with unexpected bills Bearman.

I would've thought that in the last close season the RFL had talks with Toronto during their entry negotiations.

The RFL would surely then have issued all other League 1 clubs with a pack fully explaining how those who would be travelling to Toronto should organise affairs, obtain Visas etc.

The RFL would always be mindful that it might be seven days before the trip, that squads might be announced because of injury and in a semi-pro game external commitments. Was it not York last year that only took TWELVE players to Toulouse at short notice, did the RFL learn nothing from that debacle?

As a humble, but loyal Season Ticket holding spectator I've no idea what funding clubs get nor how away travel is organised but I thought the Canadian games were to be (and should've been) cash neutral.

I welcomed the introduction of Toronto, but that was in the belief it was done in a professional manner.

David Taylor

@750VFR

On 5/12/2017 at 3:05 PM, Bearman said:

That is one of the big issues of why there is some antipathy to this project from the clubs.

it is anything but free (as per Tououse last year)  and clubs travelling to Toronto have been landed with a very large unexpected bill

Hey Bearman:  Hope you read my reply from the Oxford club post.  Looking forward to hosting your team and any fans that are coming over.  Long range weather looks good and this is the first of the major long weekends in Toronto. No-one knows how the long weekend (May 24 weekend as in all people drink at least 24 beer this weekend) will affect attendance: this is an unknown quantity.  Great time and weekend to explore the city since there will be little traffic.

Was out kayaking up North yesterday by a placed called Gun Point...water is cold but ice is out.  Went around an isolated bay and was thinking about the upcoming game and a big old black bear comes out of the brush for a drink and to hangout on the shore.  Looked hungry after the long sleep and an little grumpy.  l hung out offshore for about 3 minutes watching him and then he ambled back in the bush. Thought of your handle and I yelled at him that we we were going to beat Barrow and Coventry when they come over here.  Right by the cliff face and there was a loud echo.  He continued walking away with no reply.  Was sort of neat!

All the joking and jibes aside...good luck to your team and I know the guys will have a great time.

All the best from Toronto!

Any news on the visas?  I really hope they get it resolved. You'd think the clubs would have sorted this stuff out long ago. I recall Fuifui being unable to play in TWPs home opener due to Visa problems. Seems odd. It's not like the schedule came out yesterday. 

I think we'd all like to see each team's best side against one another. That's already a bit unlikely given that Barrow are playing on less rest, and from what I heard, are flying over here on Thursday for a Saturday game. Tough to come out sooner when your players have jobs i guess. 

Also, I listened to the Leeds game and it sounded like a pretty physical affair. Not sure about the injury situation but if they can't get visas for even a couple of players, it could be quite a disadvantage.

I'm sure they'll give a good account of themselves regardless. Should be a big crowd and a great game. I think both teams will get a lift from the crowd and atmosphere.

Very much looking forward to it as I'm sure the Barrow fans are as well.

Edit: Just checked and it appears TWP may be missing a few players due to suspension so it looks possible that neither side will be at their best. Ah well, should still be fun.

what time is it on TV?

Lee Morton

The Toronto/Oxford game was around 21:00 UK time. I presume it'll be same kick-off time for Barrow.

Unless the team bus gets caught in heavy Toronto city traffic, that is...

I was wondering about Dally as well???

Lee Morton

Ref for Toronto game is John McMullen

Disciplinary meeting today to determine grade B offences committed by

Blake Wallace(17.30) and Liam Kay(17.50)...1 or 2 matches whilst Jacob Emmitt has received 2 match ban after his eventful Oxford performance.

Sean Penkywicz ..no suspension

Archived