Attendances - Updated R19

AB Knight

Bit bored on my work break today so did a few calculations....

York's average 2016 average league attendance was 592, so far this season it's 844, a 43% increase. Also, the lowest league crowd this season (709 vs NW Crusaders) isn't far off the highest crowd last season (778 vs Hunslet).

It's a shame there are no regular season home games against Keighley, Hunslet or Toronto because I think some of those could approach 1500 but we'll see what happens if York make the Super 8.

#statto

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carry on with our confident well structured attacking brand of rugby i am sure many more will return .

Well done fordy ,the team and forward thinking ownership long may it continue

43% increase in attendances and we're (forgive me if I'm wrong) lower in the league and with less wins than we were this time last year as well.

Seems it's not just the rugby that's getting people on board.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

That's right Simon, I believe at this point last season the club had won 4 and lost 1 of their opening 5 league games, and had performed well in both the national league cup (unlike this season) and the challenge cup (like this season).

Plenty to be positive about on and off the pitch.

7 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

That's right Simon, I believe at this point last season the club had won 4 and lost 1 of their opening 5 league games, and had performed well in both the national league cup (unlike this season) and the challenge cup (like this season).

Plenty to be positive about on and off the pitch.

Does the average attendance from last year include the Acorn cup game as well?

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

59 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

Does the average attendance from last year include the Acorn cup game as well?

No I've just done it for league games. I'll work out an average including cup games soon.

Success build success as does respectability.

And the new management team have brought the respectability back to the club and is showing on both the on-field & off-field performances.

You only need to look at how our owner & backer have transformed Fev over the last 10 years and for myself, if the Knights end up like that in the same period, but hopefully quicker I will be very happy.

I think this is a reflection of the way the club was previously operated off the field ,it was underachieving under the previous management .  Its not a matter of all of a sudden being "out of this world"   things are simply being done properly now. Makes all the difference

2017 Average including challenge cup games is 795, average including challenge cup last season (including the big crowd vs Acorn) was 725.

For this season I'm using the crowd figures given in the programme:

Egremont Rangers (CC) - 635

South Wales Ironmen - 752

Rochdale Hornets (CC) - 652

North Wales Crusaders - 709

Doncaster RLFC - 1012

Barrow Raiders (CC) - 904

Coventry Bears - 902

I don't know the ins and outs of what went on before, but I think it shows what can be achieved when everyone works together. Onwards and upwards.

• 1 month later...

Updated attendance stats if anyone is bored and into that kind of thing ;)

League avg 874 (2016 avg : 592)   +47.6% increase

League + Cup avg 794 (2016 avg: 725)   +9.5% increase

2017 Highest attendance: Whitehaven 1084 (2016 highest: Hunslet 778) +39.3% increase

It would be nice if York can average 1000+ for the season and can break the 1193 attendance record from 2011 vs Featherstone (not sure what the previous highest was). I think a home tie against Toronto in the playoffs would ensure both those are achieved.

On 5/17/2017 at 3:40 PM, davet said:

Success build success as does respectability.

And the new management team have brought the respectability back to the club and is showing on both the on-field & off-field performances.

You only need to look at how our owner & backer have transformed Fev over the last 10 years and for myself, if the Knights end up like that in the same period, but hopefully quicker I will be very happy.

Spot on Davet and dont forget dear readers my other favourite important word credibility. I know its dragging over old coals but our club had lost much credibility over the last few years thus kicking respect firmly into touch.

Its difficult and nigh on impossible to achieve those goals in any business if all and sundry are falling out because of self centered decision making and the club is allowed to become a political football to be used by those who don't give a stuff about our sport.

• 4 weeks later...

Updated Attendances following the end of the regular season.

League avg 883 (2016 avg : 592)   +49.2% increase

League + Cup avg 823 (2016 avg: 725)   +13.5% increase

2017 Highest attendance: Whitehaven 1084 (2016 highest: Hunslet 778) +39.3% increase

As before, I'm using the attendances given by the club either in the programme or through twitter which are as follows:

19/2 North Wales Crusaders (League 1 Cup) - 620

26/2 Egremont Rangers (Challenge Cup) - 635

12/3 South Wales Ironmen - 752

19/3 Rochdale Hornets (Challenge Cup) - 652

26/3 North Wales Crusaders - 709

14/4 Doncaster RLFC - 1012

23/4 Barrow Raiders (Challenge Cup) - 904

14/5 Coventry Bears - 902

4/6 London Skolars - 782

18/6 Whitehaven RLFC - 1084

9/7 Hemel Stags - 812

16/7 Workington Town - 1011

While I'm on a roll, to average 1,000 for the league season, York need 4936 through the gates for the matches against Toronto, Keighley, Doncaster and Newcastle. Can be done.

Not sure how York average compares to other teams in this division, I imagine York, Barrow, Newcastle and maybe Whitehaven are all close to the highest average after Toronto? I can't compare as so many rugby league teams don't publish attendances anymore. Funny how the two teams I follow (Cas and York) are two of only a handful who are open with crowd figures. There's nothing to hide! ;)

3 hours ago, AB Knight said:

While I'm on a roll, to average 1,000 for the league season, York need 4936 through the gates for the matches against Toronto, Keighley, Doncaster and Newcastle. Can be done.

Not sure how York average compares to other teams in this division, I imagine York, Barrow, Newcastle and maybe Whitehaven are all close to the highest average after Toronto? I can't compare as so many rugby league teams don't publish attendances anymore. Funny how the two teams I follow (Cas and York) are two of only a handful who are open with crowd figures. There's nothing to hide! ;)

I'm hoping for a big push with the Toronto game. Most other clubs have had an increased attendance when the Wolfpack have visited town so hopefully York will too. I'll certainly be trying to get a few more along. 

Managed to get average attendances for the league this season, so far:

Toronto 6639

Newcastle 979

York 883

Barrow 785

Keighley 742

Whitehaven 664

Workington 654

Doncaster 577

London 471

Hunslet 421

Coventry 401