Catalans meltdown - Gigot now on the market

2 hours ago, Southerner said:

£100k doesn't sound OTT for a main player. I'm being a bit lazy here but what's the approx average players salary over a whole squad?

I'd hazard a guess : 15k (around minimum wage in France) to 360k.

Gigot is a class act, probably my favourite player to watch.  Although he makes the odd mistake (which maverick player dosen't?), he's fiery, creative and a real fan favourite. His intercept try against Salford, and his 40/20s are great to see. He has good hands and timing for passing which many centres lack  and is a useful goal kicker too.

RL is a low paying sport, relatively in comparison to Union, Salary cap of 1.85m and up to 2 Marquee Players.This for 25 players so wages cant be too high. 

Given a average first teamer at many teams in SL is on around 40k, a above average player looking for 80-100k is not beyond possible, and a star man 150-200k. I would put Gigot in the above average bracket (i.e. very good player, but not one a NRL club would right now look at and say, I like the look of him), I could see him working well at most teams who could afford him, and agree with general views here that he is probably ideal at Centre. 

All in all, I think he can get around that Salary.......

What is sad for Cats though, is that With Pelliser gone, and Escare gone, now another Talented younger French player wants to leave........A team of aging Antipodeans with injury issues isn't going to do too well.....IMO they should be looking to sign more French Talent, not to sell them.......And as a out there suggestion maybe look to South African RU for the odd player who is struggling to get the pay they want, but could do a job in the backline for reasonable money......Theres so much player depth there. 

On 24/05/2017 at 9:50 PM, Southerner80 said:

Gigot is a class act, probably my favourite player to watch.  Although he makes the odd mistake (which maverick player dosen't?), he's fiery, creative and a real fan favourite. His intercept try against Salford, and his 40/20s are great to see. He has good hands and timing for passing which many centres lack  and is a useful goal kicker too.

RL is a low paying sport, relatively in comparison to Union, Salary cap of 1.85m and up to 2 Marquee Players.This for 25 players so wages cant be too high. 

Given a average first teamer at many teams in SL is on around 40k, a above average player looking for 80-100k is not beyond possible, and a star man 150-200k. I would put Gigot in the above average bracket (i.e. very good player, but not one a NRL club would right now look at and say, I like the look of him), I could see him working well at most teams who could afford him, and agree with general views here that he is probably ideal at Centre. 

All in all, I think he can get around that Salary.......

What is sad for Cats though, is that With Pelliser gone, and Escare gone, now another Talented younger French player wants to leave........A team of aging Antipodeans with injury issues isn't going to do too well.....IMO they should be looking to sign more French Talent, not to sell them.......And as a out there suggestion maybe look to South African RU for the odd player who is struggling to get the pay they want, but could do a job in the backline for reasonable money......Theres so much player depth there. 

Just to correct you because it annoys me when people quote this meaningless figure of £1.85m salary cap, due to the long list of exemptions for youth players, home grown players etc. For example, Leeds staff costs are over £4 million.  

The average salary is more like £60-70k and an above average would certainly be on £100k. Gigot is absolutely worth that if not more. 

im interested to hear how Leeds staff costs assuming you mean playing talent (not including coaches and groundsmen etc) come to 4m?

I could see it pushing it up a bit into the 2.2m range or so, but not above that. Leeds RL dosen't have enough income to pay 3m a year on wages without running up looses.

I don't see how thats possible.........Some of their younger players have been quoted to be on  low wages Jordan Lilley apparently was on about 16k last year.

I also think if you go across all 12 teams, 60-70k is going to be more than many first teamer in the squad of 25 are on.......

Leigh like their Frenchies, he's got a couple of mates in Maria and Pellisier at the club, I would love him to make it three and join them.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

3 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

im interested to hear how Leeds staff costs assuming you mean playing talent (not including coaches and groundsmen etc) come to 4m?

I could see it pushing it up a bit into the 2.2m range or so, but not above that. Leeds RL dosen't have enough income to pay 3m a year on wages without running up looses.

I don't see how thats possible.........Some of their younger players have been quoted to be on  low wages Jordan Lilley apparently was on about 16k last year.

I also think if you go across all 12 teams, 60-70k is going to be more than many first teamer in the squad of 25 are on.......

What are you on about, Leeds RL revenue is pushing on £12million, how on earth do they not have enough income to cover those wages? You do realise they make in excess of £1million profit every year?

Okay fair enough about their Turnover at Leeds, however IF they were prepared to pay way over the cap on wages due to dispensations, they clearly aren't as the squad they have does not reflect that......If they were willing to shell out £500k pa on a marquee player, chances are they might be able to get the likes of Shaun Johnson to consider a move, and look at raiding Rugby Union for some talent too.....

The current bunch they have, I would doubt anyone is on over 200k, and thats pushing it.  From what I see, the owner does not want to spend a lot more, as 1. It can effect the clubs future badly (look at football as a example) 2.Castleford show this year, and others before them, that there is a lot of underrated talent out there to be found, and that paying high wages does not guarantee success....

All this being said, at to get back to the Man who this discussion is about, If I were Wigan, I would sign Gigot, as I think seeing what Wane did for Escare, he could work wonders for Gigot too, and Gigot would fit in well as a centre/full back into a squad that always seems to have star men injured (manfredi, Sam Tomkins, now Escare, Gelling etc etc)

Same goes for Castleford, in that I could see him suiting their style. 

Archived