Disgusting that Saints and Giants don't play Monday

I know that the game has been re arranged because of Huddersfield Town at Wembley on Monday. So make them play Tuesday then. They have a massive advantage going into their games next weekend, when everyone else will have played twice this weekend.

letting them play on challenge cup weekend is just rewarding failure.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Course it is. If two clubs mutually agree to play on a Friday rather than a Sunday to avoid a short turnaround, is that disgusting? Take issue with the RFL for coming up with this ridiculous idea in the first place, Saints and Huddersfield are doing nothing wrong by actually placing some importance on player welfare. 

This quote from Hudds CEO tells you why its wrong:

"From a playing perspective both sides avoid the two games in four days scenario which no one likes".

there is no good reason for this game to move. They saw an opportunitt to avoid this '2nd Easter' and have played everyone.

11 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Nobody likes it because it places players at greater risk of injury and produces a game of a lower quality, for what benefit? Mutual suffering? Player welfare alone is enough of a reason. 

Player welfare cant be in place for 2 teams from 12.

Round 15 and 16 is meant to be played over a weekend. It is part of the challenge of the comp.

2 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

So because the RFL have shown a blatant disregard for player welfare, Saints and Huddersfield should be forced to do so too? 

The RFL set the comp fixture dates.

Hudds and Giants are benefiting from this.

Your statememt that clubs just set their own fixtures is wrong. They should only be moved for exceptional circumstances and this doesnt have that.

9 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Oh no, how dare Saints and Huddersfield decide when to play their own game

So apart from the player welfare you are quite correctly recognising,  do you also not recognise that both clubs are are gaining an advantage over their contemporaries by being allowed to reschedule the game. The RL are allowing both teams the luxury of a prolonged rest period whilst telling all the others to back up with 3 days rest for 2 clubs, whilst the majority have 2 days rest.

It is a simple yeah or nay, no need to go into a diatribe of other matters.

The RFL knowingly should recognise that their decision in allowing this to happen for two clubs will not only create animosity amongst  the other clubs but will give the two recipients an advantage, why should the come to this decision and seemingly give these two an unfair advantage over the other 10 clubs, there is something not quite right here.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

It's turned into an advantage, but I don't believe the clubs have worked it too their advantage. I hope that Giants grasp the opportunity and hit some form after the rest. 

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

2 minutes ago, amm said:

It's turned into an advantage, but I don't believe the clubs have worked it too their advantage. I hope that Giants grasp the opportunity and hit some form after the rest. 

Aye right! Theyve played it perfectly.

If Town get promoted, then Huddersfield will be shifting more than the one game next season. Another club who'll be bending the knee to soccer.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

32 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aye right! Theyve played it perfectly.

Sorry, my words/typing at such an early hour are misrepresenting my thoughts. Yes they have taken advantage of the opportunity to move the game - to allow town fans to watch their game and with being knocked out of the CC they have a gap anyway - my original post was meant to say that they had  NOT manufactured the gap. I'm rambling but I hope you know what I mean now. They have seized the opportunity and it has been sanctioned by the RFL. Whether I think it should not have been sanctioned ? Maybe not, but it has, and I hope they use it to their advantage and get a win or two - I'm not confident they will.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

8 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Why is the 2nd double game weekend this year anyway?

I think it might have something to do with the World Cup and 'freeing up space in the calendar', though I am genuinely not sure.

Thinking about this shifted game, my first response was "It's an outrage!" However, on reflection, neither team gains a particular advantage over other specific teams. Two teams who would have been playing each other after a two-day rest are now playing each other after a six-day rest (roughly - it might be five or so). No other team is particularly disadvantaged by this. Both teams do gain a minor advantage in that their players are not going to be playing when utterly knackered and are less likely to suffer injuries, so squad disruption is minimised for these two, but that is a minor advantage.

This is not like the Easter weekend shambles (again due to Huddersfield's stadium requirements, I believe) when Catalans, with a four-day rest, beat Salford who were coming off a two-day rest. The return fixture last night shows just how much that affected Salford. Sorry (no, I'm not!) to bring that up again, but that was outrageous.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

To be fair, the RFL won't want to make a rod for their own backs by dictating to these two clubs now. Because Hudds and Saints would rightly kick off when Wigan start dictating when and where games take place come the Super 8s.

In truth, I don't recognise any unfairness in this change of fixtures. They are effectively foregoing the two week recovery period they would have had for whatever their next game is.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

26 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

To be fair, the RFL won't want to make a rod for their own backs by dictating to these two clubs now. Because Hudds and Saints would rightly kick off when Wigan start dictating when and where games take place come the Super 8s.

In truth, I don't recognise any unfairness in this change of fixtures. They are effectively foregoing the two week recovery period they would have had for whatever their next game is.

It is widely recognised that the week or two after the tough Easter double header is a killer - they will not have to deal with that twice like everyone else.

35 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I think it might have something to do with the World Cup and 'freeing up space in the calendar', though I am genuinely not sure.

Thinking about this shifted game, my first response was "It's an outrage!" However, on reflection, neither team gains a particular advantage over other specific teams. Two teams who would have been playing each other after a two-day rest are now playing each other after a six-day rest (roughly - it might be five or so). No other team is particularly disadvantaged by this. Both teams do gain a minor advantage in that their players are not going to be playing when utterly knackered and are less likely to suffer injuries, so squad disruption is minimised for these two, but that is a minor advantage.

This is not like the Easter weekend shambles (again due to Huddersfield's stadium requirements, I believe) when Catalans, with a four-day rest, beat Salford who were coming off a two-day rest. The return fixture last night shows just how much that affected Salford. Sorry (no, I'm not!) to bring that up again, but that was outrageous.

Its next week they will get their advantage. Just noticed Hudds play Wire lol - bloody sods law - Wire will be playing their third in 9 days, Hudds their 2nd.

Saints have the same advantage over Cas.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Its next week they will get their advantage. Just noticed Hudds play Wire lol - bloody sods law - Wire will be playing their third in 9 days, Hudds their 2nd.

Saints have the same advantage over Cas.

I hadn't looked that far forward, but if that is correct (I don't doubt you, I just can't check right now), then it is wrong and should not have been allowed. It isn't so much the fast turn around as the disparity between the turn arounds for the two teams. Though player safety should be considered at all times.

Out of interest, why do you have three games in nine days? That should only really happen at Easter. (Actually, it shouldn't happen, even at Easter. The calendar needs to be reassessed.)

48 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Could be the difference between Huddersfield finishing in 9th or 10th or the bottom 2, which carries a huge advantage come the 8's 4 home fixtures as opposed to 3, you should know that Tony and be very wary of it.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

3 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Could be the difference between Huddersfield finishing in 9th or 10th or the bottom 2, which carries a huge advantage come the 8's 4 home fixtures as opposed to 3, you should know that Tony and be very wary of it.

Leigh also have 3 games in 8 days last night Hull, Monday Cas,next Friday Leeds away, and a little matter of Wigan the following Thursday

5 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Leigh also have 3 games in 8 days last night Hull, Monday Cas,next Friday Leeds away, and a little matter of Wigan the following Thursday

Okay, I've looked at the fixtures and what you say is correct. However, it's not just Leigh playing Monday and Friday, their opponents, Leeds, are also playing Monday and Friday. It's not great for player welfare (three rest days between fixtures after two rest days between fixtures) but both teams are facing the same problem, so there isn't a specific advantage. Saints and Huddersfield may well have an advantage come the end of the season, when their players will not have had to play two sets of quick turn arounds. Perhaps the clubs should have kicked up more of a fuss when the second quick turn around was announced? That's the root cause of the problem.

I don't think there is any advantage to Saints or Huddersfield because as everyone knows from play offs and challenge cup breaks and everything, a team having a longer rest period does not necessarily given them an advantage in their next game.  When there was a two week break in the play off system, Saints could be rubbish after that two week break or they could be brilliant.  I think there are only two advantages a break gives to a team: minor niggles get longer to heal and there may be a chance for a quick weekend in Paris (although as Hudds and Saints are playing during a challenge cup weekend they actually both lose the chance for a quick break with their children).

Archived