The 2017 General Election TRL Poll

The TRL 2017 General Election Poll  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will you vote for in the 2017 General Election?

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Plaid Cymru
    • SNP
    • UKIP
    • Other
    • Won't Vote
    • Not eligible to vote
  2. 2. What do you think the result will be?

• Conservative majority over 100
    • Conservative majority between 50 to 99
    • Conservative majority between 1 to 49
    • Conservatives largest party in a Hung Parliament
    • Labour largest party in a Hung Parliament
    • Labour majority between 1 to 49
    • Labour majority between 50 to 99
    • Labour majority over 100
    • Other

It's almost all over bar the counting, so it's time for the only poll that really matters, the TRL 2017 General Election poll!

Which way are you swinging?

Is TRL a nest of unreconstructed Trots, or perhaps a haven of shy Tories, or even maybe a representative snapshot of the British public, or just a message board full of people with lots of random views on stuff?

You decide!

Disclaimer: In the evergreen words of Peter Snow, "It's just a bit of fun".

Well even though I'm a lib dem I've voted labour (postal vote). However, Brigg and Goole is pretty safe conservative but labour have slightly more chance than the lib dems here. 

Ive also gone for the 1-49 seat majority. In reality I'm thinking it will be somewhere between 40-60 so I've err'd on the side of optimism. 

Either way with her performance in this campaign May won't go in to the next election leading the conservatives. 

I've already voted (postal vote), Labour, obviously. I plumped for the "Conservative majority between 1 to 49" option as that lays somewhere between what my head says (large Troy win) and my heart says (narrow Labour win). I'm still in two minds as to the best outcome; for the country  I genuinely believe it would be better off under a Labour government, however whoever wins will be lumbered with brexit and all the that brings with it, so losing could be a bullet dodged. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

6 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

Either way with her performance in this campaign May won't go in to the next election leading the conservatives. 

Strange to think that whoever wins on Thursday we could be on our 3rd PM in as many years. Strong and Stable. Not.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

16 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

Well even though I'm a lib dem I've voted labour (postal vote)

Boo.... turncoat! (Just kidding before someone tells me off!) ;)

I've voted Lib Dem for the first time ever (postal) but I think the Tories will get a majority between 1-49.

Voted Lib Dem this time as they are the only party who align with my own views on a range of factors including Europe, despite Farron being a bit weak (nice bloke though!). I do think the Labour manifesto is good but it's just words; I have no faith in Corbyn and his team delivering (he's in his element campaigning but is very weak on leadership) and his foreign policy isn't realistic as he'll have to do it unilaterally; that will harm the UK. I voted Tory last time (local MP was Rory Stewart and very good!) but I am not voting for the incompetence of May or the right-wing Tories behind the scenes pulling the puppet strings. I actually think Caroline Lucas has spoken impressively when I have seen her and as a raving environmentalist, I support those elements they want to deliver; everything else is a bit of a mess though with the Greens and lacks substance. 

After persistently saying I wouldn't vote for Labour under Corbyn, I now am.  It feels wrong somehow but it does reflect the campaign for me and also genuinely much of a floating voter I was. 

I'd like to vote Lib Dem but the remaining MPs in the party do nothing for me and more than a few are active repulsive forces for my vote!  Maybe next time if Clegg loses his seat (or resigns)

I'd like to vote Green but beyond a couple of nice policies, there's not much depth.

I'd never vote Tory or Kipper.

My vote is a bit wasted anyway given that this is a hard Tory constituency which had a 53% Tory vote in 2015.  Everyone else is an also-ran.  That means my vote choice for Labour is really just one for the numbers rather than actually potentially affecting the result of the constituency, maybe I'd have put more thought in if it had been closer.

I also voted Tory 1-49 majority.  I think it'll be around the 40-ish mark.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Strange to think that whoever wins on Thursday we could be on our 3rd PM in as many years. Strong and Stable. Not.

The Conservatives are nothing if not ruthlessly efficient in how they go about their public image. 

31 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Disclaimer: In the evergreen words of Peter Snow, "It's just a bit of fun".

If it's just a bit of fun, let's see who voted what!! :P

<I reckon JohnM is voting Greens and rumour has it Saint Toppy has moved north of the border so he can vote for his one true love...> 

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

We could have our 3rd PM inside a year :ph34r:

I think May will Trump it out, albeit without the Twitter ego rants about how everything has proven how strong and stable she is.  Unless she gets a massive majority, it'll be like the Major government of 1992-1997, but with far less charisma in Number 10, persistent in-fighting that's all about the EU and nothing else matters.

That said, that'll probably still happen even if May gets a 100+ majority.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 minutes ago, ckn said:

I think May will Trump it out, albeit without the Twitter ego rants about how everything has proven how strong and stable she is.  Unless she gets a massive majority, it'll be like the Major government of 1992-1997, but with far less charisma in Number 10, persistent in-fighting that's all about the EU and nothing else matters.

Yep I was just stating possibilities rather than any realism.

I voted Labour (very reluctantly for a Corbyn-led Labour) but think the Tories could crack a 100 majority. If I am agonising as a life long Labour voter then many others are too and that will perhaps cause many to give this election a miss. I think the vote split will be something like 44/35 and the marginals will determine how big the majority will be.

You are right it will be very similar to Major's government. This faceless procession.

It really does get you reflecting that if Ed Milliband had gone more ambitious with his policies (e.g. 6k tuition fees) how different things could have been. They were there for the taking -twice!

Still Labour - mainly down to my local MP who's I think has always done well for our constituency, that's Warrington North, which she should win confortably

I'm much more interested in Warrington South to see if the Tory MP can keep the 3k-ish majority from last time around, he's going against the Ex-Mayor this time around

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It really does get you reflecting that if Ed Milliband had gone more ambitious with his policies (e.g. 6k tuition fees) how different things could have been. They were there for the taking -twice!

Different Tory leader back then.  As far as I can remember, Cameron had good ratings throughout his time as PM and he was far, far better on TV than May would ever be.

As everyone will have predicted, I'm voting Tory in spite of my vote counting for zip in St Helens.  Notice, I say I'm voting Tory.  I'm not voting for May.  She's messed up big time with this election.  I think she is a genuine woman who is shy and awkward on the TV which has done her no favours but she has made some fundamental and potentially costly errors in this campaign.

On the thread poll I voted that Labour will form the biggest party in a hung parliament because frankly I think the mistakes have been too costly, giving too much publicity to Corbyn's rambling nonsense.

I see that the vociferous majority who used to regard Corbyn as the ruination of the Labour Party, and who declared that he was going to trash for a generation Labour's chances of forming a government have in the end thrown their lot in with him. :):)

Fortunately, as tradional Labour voters return to the fold as polling day looms, so will Conservative voters return to the fold.

This forum has become a virtual echo chamber politically so I've no doubt Labour will win big on here.

I've gone Lib Dem but I still might vote Labour. As I'm in a safe Labour seat (82 years and still a lead of 40 odd percent) I vote as I would under a proportional system. I'm fully aware my vote only adds to the overall tally.

Brexit is a huge issue for me as I think we're headed for disaster. Anything that could keep open the door for us to change our minds is tempting to me. I don't feel bad about it, had remain won we'd have had years of calls for another referendum. 

There is much I dislike about Corbyn and his front bench. Their campaign has been one of pure populism and were they to win I don't think it would go particularly well. They've promised the Earth and expectations of what they can achieve will be sky high. It's very easy for these expectations to not be met and we'd find that Corbyn is a much better campaigner than a leader.

The reason I want them to win is because they still have their priorities right. If they overspend in the achievement of noble aims then at least they tried to do something for the common good and change the country for the better. The Tories vision for the next 5 years is not a pretty one in their best outcome. 

I think they'll be the largest party but in a hung parliament. As I've stated many times, the polling companies are trying their best to not make the mistake of 2015 and are probably overcompensating. The only chance they have is a late swing back to them which there is a chance if I think.

Voting Labour, and hoping to hold onto a very tight constituency. Predicting a Tory majority below 50, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Then the battle to remove Corbyn begins. That'll be fun...

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

7 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

This forum has become a virtual echo chamber politically so I've no doubt Labour will win big on here.

I remember the last GE and we had a similar vote selector on here; there are quite a few individuals who Tories on here who don't actual post. The vote was a pretty even split last time if I remember correctly.

Going for a Tory majority of between 50 and 99.  I will be voting Lib Dem.

Who could have guessed?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, nadera78 said:

Voting Labour, and hoping to hold onto a very tight constituency. Predicting a Tory majority below 50, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Then the battle to remove Corbyn begins. That'll be fun...

I think this is my main gripe with voting for a Labour party that I am almost certain will lose. Every vote Labour gets would be taken by Corbyn and his supporters as a vote of confidence and support. My local labour candidate actually seems alright, but is no fan of Corbyn - so what would I even be voting for.

I'd rather people voted Lib Dem than prolong the shambles running the Labour party. Sadly I've come to the conclusion that the best way to get rid of this marxist leech on the labour party (which as an aside would c**k up Brexit to such an extent they'd make the party almost unelectable for years) is for a big defeat. I'm not sure its going to happen though. 

Momentum have now got ideas of importance in the Labour party - that is going to be even harder to shake.

23 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I remember the last GE and we had a similar vote selector on here; there are quite a few individuals who Tories on here who don't actual post. The vote was a pretty even split last time if I remember correctly.

As a longtime poster on this forum I've been shocked by the sheer one-sidedness of debate that we've seen. 

To give an example, during Question Time on Friday, a comment by a young girl got a lot of traction where she said something like she couldn't believe how many people seemed so keen on killing millions of people. 

It was exactly this same simplistic level of analysis that characterises much of what we see on here. The idea of a nuclear deterrent (whether you agree or not) becomes simplified to wanting to kill millions of people.

The same is true when we hear about cuts to public services. I've seen almost nothing about what we as a country can afford. It's just Tories are bad because they want to cut and Labour are great because they want to spend more. This is then backed up by any article from anywhere that agrees with them.

I honestly think win or lose, we'll look back on this campaign and wonder how on Earth Corbynmania ever gripped the nation much like we do with Cleggmania. The election was supposed to be all about the personality of Teresa May but became about the personality of Corbyn.

5 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

The Tories should be trailing this:

Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott voted to allow ISIS fighters to return to Britain

https://order-order.com/2017/06/05/corbyn-mcdonnell-abbott-voted-to-allow-isis-fighters-to-return-to-britain/

I think the point is here is that under May police numbers dropped when she was home secretary, and its not something the Tories want to discuss.

Anyway the Tories will some how find a way to hold onto power even if they get into bed with the Lib-Dems again, and despite the denials from the Lib-Dems  they would do the same as they did in 2010.

Archived