61 members have voted

1. 1. To championship 1

• Bradford
    • Dewsbury
    • Oldham
    • Rochdale
    • Swinton

14 minutes ago, Dave Naylor said:

TL;DR Things aren't as bad as they seem and we can survive.  

I'm as disappointed as anyone over the result yesterday.  We gave them an easy start and to be 18 points to nil down half-way through the first half was ominous.  Then we pulled back two tries to stay in touch at the interval and I genuinely thought we'd use that slope to our advantage to go on and win the game like we've done many times before.

It wasn't to be though and the player that kicked the ball against the hoardings after Hornets scored their match sealing try probably summed up every Oldham fan's feelings.

So, we ended up as the team with the worst record in the league and only finished 2nd from bottom because Bradford.  So why is that?

We lost one of our opening props after he'd only played 4 games.  Mr reliable Phil Joy has been remarkably conspicuous by his absence.  His equally reliable front-row partner, an ever present until the Toulouse game, picks up a jaw injury and is more than likely to miss most of the Shield games.

Our new club captain seemed to have a dip in form from last year and when he looked to be coming back to his best his season is ended with a foot injury.

Kieran Gill, on a season long loan, turns out for his parent club and scores a try on debut.  Unfortunately he picks up an injury and we lose him in the process.  We then lose the raw Egodo at the same time, a player who although inexperienced, gave us an extra dimension, and that pass leading to that Kieran Gill barnstorming try. 

One of the players whose contribution probably kept us in the league last year, Scott Turner, after suffering three concussions, decides to take a break from the game, with good reason.  The player who would be his replacement/alternative, Lippy, then ends his season with an injury.

In recent games we've been missing Langtree's aggression and Thompson's tackle count.  Grimmer, a bloke filling the left centre position has been injured with a groin problem meaning we've had to play the versatile Sammy Gee in that slot.  

Last season's leading try scorer, Jamel Chisholm, seems out of favour and hasn't featured much at all.  The left centre/wing partnership has been a juggle all year and we've suffered there defensively.

We signed a player to fill one of the centre roles but factors other than rugby meant he was a no-show.

Until the new hooker Wilkinson scored a try against Toulouse (we beat Toulouse a few weeks back!) no other hooker had scored one all season apart from Sam Gee who came off the bench against Swinton.  He probably wasn't even playing the hooker role at the time.  Kenny Hughes is trying his best to score one of his signature tries but it's just not coming this year.  He will get there though.

Every team has injuries throughout the season but we seem to be suffering worst than most at the moment.  Dewsbury were hopeless at the start of the season through an injury crisis and they are now on course for survival after the squad recovered. We can do the same.

So what's is done is done, the regular season is finished and the only way is up since Bradford will finish bottom and be relegated (maybe).  We've got seven games to come with a break next week.  We need to overtake Swinton by beating them on their park, something we did last year, and then match their wins with ones of our own.  Hell let's catch Hairnets!

Things to look forward to then

Luke Hooley.  If we've signed an exciting young full-back, praised by those who've seen him play, I'd imagine that's where he's going to play for us.  I can see him doing a Scott Turner for us.  Pace to burn apparently

The return of Langers and Thompy.  Stalwarts of the team,  adopted Oldhamers from West Lancs.  If anyone plays with pride in the shirt it's those two.  

Matty Wilkinson.  Impressed against Toulouse, offers something different from dummy-half.  

Morris and Simpson.  The former was part of a Saints academy team with a winning mentality.  The latter turned out for us last year when recovering from injury and was then offered a renewed deal at Giants.  He could inject more pace into our backs.

Sadiq Adebiyi.  Hits defences like a bulldozer and is getting better week-on-week.

Craig Briscoe.  He might feature in the coming weeks.  When we signed him he was regarded as a tough opponent by our players who'd played against him.  We like tough.

Adam Neal.  Maybe just maybe he'll get a few games in before the season end.

As far as the teams we're playing are concerned, our five wins have come against five of them and the draw was against Hornets, a blummin' game we should have won.  We can pick up more points.

I'm not contemplating League One and time in the wilderness, I'm thinking about how good it's going to be to see things come right, the team to give us something to shout about and a nail biting but successful end to the season.  And finally beating the noisy neighbours in their back yard, something we've done a lot.

Moaners gonna moan, haters gonna hate, I'm staying positive and avoiding singing fat ladies.

Absolutely love this thanks Dave. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cracking post Dave, it made me feel a bit guilty for bashing the team a bit. It was just so disappointing to see us lose after doing so well to get back in the game. 

I always try an draw positives after any defeat and the only one I could draw was that at least we never gave up and kept having a crack. 

So continuing with your theme, we have to believe in the lads. Come on lads.. 

Special mention goes to Adam Clay, another superb performance surely player of the season so far. 

Archived