17 Jun: CCQF: Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors KO 3pm

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Will wire look back on that forward pass ?

Of course and justifiably so, when players make mistakes and they influence the outcome of a game, a mistake by the officials is a mistake also and in this case a very telling one.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Meh. Cooper saved that play. But the last play suddenly became rushed as they wasted 5 seconds - Patton then found himself in poor position. On the 4th Patton should have been directing a run from dummy half or a forward drive and putting himself in position.

It was a dire play.

Patton too flat for the DG. 2-3 yards deeper and he nails it

Sure the heat, and sweat on the ball, made a difference, but really poor skills from both teams, summed up by a drop goal miss from 20m(?) out at the end.

Picking a MOM must have been pretty tough

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Patton too flat for the DG. 2-3 yards deeper and he nails it

Because he was fannying about skipping in the centres the previous tackle.

Shame as he did some half decent stuff including a sublime kick for Atkins.

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Yep, Wire's attack wasn't that bad. At least two soft tries again though...

Disagree about the attack. Two tries from kicks as we couldnt break with the ball. This despite the BBC quoting a stat of 16 repeat sets for Wire.

Better though.

Just now, Man of Kent said:

16? If only they weren't so soft in defence ?

Yeah im not sure what they include in that stat. Looking at the team sheets and the back lines - conceding 4 tries to Wigan is to be expected. 

Based on the stats we should have scored more.

Just now, Dave T said:

Yeah im not sure what they include in that stat. Looking at the team sheets and the back lines - conceding 4 tries to Wigan is to be expected. 

Based on the stats we should have scored more.

And Atkins/Ratchford should have made that missed tackle on Marshall and Bateman shouldn't have been allowed to breeze through...

Yes, but who'd have expected Wigan to successfully kick all those conversions?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Not me :negative:

"I don't want to insult the Australians (but) I am like, 'These guys are some damn idiots'. Nobody plays football without pads every week for three, four or five months and don't make any money. At least in the NFL, you are going to kill yourself and . . . you get to be a millionaire after it's over."

NBA legend Charles Barkley

3 minutes ago, MZH said:

That last set was a textbook example of how not to set up for a drop goal. What a rabble.

Play 1 - good drive by Cooper. On Wigan 40m.

Play 2 - drive by Wilde. On Wigan 35m.

Play - drive by Philbin. On Wigan 30m.

Play 4 - dummy half run by Dwyer. On Wigan 21m.

So far so good.

Play 5 - 14 seconds to go. Patton runs out wide to the centres where no Wire players are. Runs back giving it to Cooper having lost 7m and wasted 7 of the 14 seconds. Cooper makes great ground. On Wigan 12m.

Play 6. Cooper plays it as hooter goes - Patton stood on Wigan 15m and misses.

The first four plays were good and set up the dg perfectly. The last two were terrible basically because of an individual. Hopefully he'll learn but there is a reason he keeps getting dropped.

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

And Atkins/Ratchford should have made that missed tackle on Marshall and Bateman shouldn't have been allowed to breeze through...

Im not sure of the point. We had more than enough territory and posession to win that pretty comfortably, yet we never looked like we would. 

5 minutes ago, Aldo1980 said:

Not me :negative:

Are you Shaun Wane? :wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It was bloody sods law you would today!!!

When you cant get a break you cant get a break!

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So far so good.

Play 5 - 14 seconds to go. Patton runs out wide to the centres where no Wire players are. Runs back giving it to Cooper having lost 7m and wasted 7 of the 14 seconds. Cooper makes great ground. On Wigan 12m.

The first four plays were good and set up the dg perfectly. The last two were terrible basically because of an individual. Hopefully he'll learn but there is a reason he keeps getting dropped.

Dave, do we accept this is the type of play he has to learn (in the intensity of the match) OR should we expect this of him by now?

"I don't want to insult the Australians (but) I am like, 'These guys are some damn idiots'. Nobody plays football without pads every week for three, four or five months and don't make any money. At least in the NFL, you are going to kill yourself and . . . you get to be a millionaire after it's over."

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Are you Shaun Wane? :wink:

I share his waistline and his propensity for bad language...but no, i'm not Mr. Wane :tongue:

So far so good.

Patton serendipitously halved the distance on the fourth thanks to Cooper's run but having got away with it the positioning for the DG was calamitous. 

But that's what pressure does. He will learn from it 

Just now, Aldo1980 said:

Dave, do we accept this is the type of play he has to learn (in the intensity of the match) OR should we expect this of him by now?

Im trying to remain level headed as I have been very critical of him. But I wouldnt expect that of an under 15 player.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Patton serendipitously halved the distance on the fourth thanks to Cooper's run but having got away with it the positioning for the DG was calamitous. 

But that's what pressure does. He will learn from it 

In reality we could have taken the attempt on the 4th from 25m - we didnt need more yards.

But hey, thats sport.

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

mmm yep and whilst your comment may be "tongue in cheek" but the pass to the winger giving him no chance of avoiding touch was the major error that gave Wigan the opportunity for Bateman try.   When I watch Warrington they always seem to have someone doing something mental when they are in control... ball errors happen but the brain errors for want of a better description are the killers that they always seem to have many more of than one would expect.

Im trying to remain level headed as I have been very critical of him. But I wouldnt expect that of an under 15 player.

Feels like quite a harsh assessment, although, admittedly, he has wracked up a healthy number of Super League games by now (including last year's Grand Final) to understand game management

Archived