Solomona case settled out of court

7 hours ago, Oxford said:

That's a bit hard on this one ckn the morality and legality may be the main issues but the sport involved and their arrogance over this issue make it difficult not to take aim. As someone pointed out their spin is that they were always right and acted correctly. And that makes it as much about the sport's attitudes as anything else. Shift it to the cross code if you must but ..... well it's a forum.

People have managed well enough in 40-odd posts on this thread.  I'm not changing the forum stance on this one.  We should be capable of having a civilised discussion on this subject without getting all frothy-mouthed about union, and for those who can't there's a perfectly good thread on the Cross-Code forum. 

I'm not asking much really, just respect the traditions of the forum: post here for as blunt as you want on rugby league but if you want to let rip on union we've a perfectly good bit hidden away just for that purpose.

I'm not saying all talk on union is banned, just look back at this thread for examples of civilised discussion on the subject, blunt but reasonable.  Imagine the difference in a pub between a lounge and the main bar, if it'd get you shifted from the lounge then it's probably better in the cross-code forum.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, ckn said:

.  I'm not changing the forum stance on this one. 

I wouldn't dream of asking you to ckn, it's much too embedded a philosophy for that. The only point I was making was that funny onion's behaviour and actions are bound to need comment and some of it may be bar room brawl level but the cross code forum doesn't seem to me to be the answer. It is, however, the forum rule and as Henry II says in "A Lion In Winter"  "What's the point in arguing about oxygen when it's all there is to breathe.":biggrin: I think whatever the debate feelings run high and any discussion can take a wrong turn so picking out kick and clap talk doesn't seem a worthwhile punt to me. Also if we hide stuff like this away it seems to add to the invisibility of the Skulduggery that can go on. 

59450d74ec8c4_RLSnip(2).PNG.8d52a728e3027b5c421c9b8427e5f8fc.PNG

Do you know if onion forums have a similar outlook, I've never been on one? ( I'll bet you're shocked at that!) 

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Just now, Oxford said:

I wouldn't dream of asking you to ckn, it's much too embedded a philosophy for that. The only point I was making was that funny onion's behaviour and actions are bound to need comment and some of it may be bar room brawl level but the cross code forum doesn't seem to me to be the answer. It is, however, the forum rule and as Henry II says in "A Lion In Winter"  "What's the point in arguing about oxygen when it's all there is to breathe.":biggrin: I think whatever the debate feelings run high and any discussion can take a wrong turn so picking out kick and clap talk doesn't seem a worthwhile punt to me.

59450d74ec8c4_RLSnip(2).PNG.8d52a728e3027b5c421c9b8427e5f8fc.PNG

Do you know if onion forums have a similar outlook, I've never been on one? ( I'll bet you're shocked at that!) 

I don't really care what other forums do.  Union forums tolerate all sorts of dross, some rugby league ones completely bar all talk of union and regularly bar people who don't listen after the first warning.  We have a happy medium here, and it won't change anytime soon.  Also, moderating this rule sees me moving maybe one or two threads a year, mainly from new posters, it's not exactly onerous.  I've allowed this thread to stay here because there's substantial rugby league issues that need to be answered, for example should there be a clamp down on rogue agents who clearly don't have our sport's interest at heart?  If that goes into civilised discussion of union then I turn a blind eye.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, ckn said:

I don't really care what other forums do.  Union forums tolerate all sorts of dross, some rugby league ones completely bar all talk of union and regularly bar people who don't listen after the first warning.  We have a happy medium here, and it won't change anytime soon.  Also, moderating this rule sees me moving maybe one or two threads a year, mainly from new posters, it's not exactly onerous.  I've allowed this thread to stay here because there's substantial rugby league issues that need to be answered, for example should there be a clamp down on rogue agents who clearly don't have our sport's interest at heart?  If that goes into civilised discussion of union then I turn a blind eye.

While I appreciate your views on this a blank response of not caring what they do is not really an answer to the question as we're always needing to learn from others in similar fields.

My point about any forum/sport allowing pot shots at TGG while we're busy policing responses would seem naive.

The point you make about agents though is excellent and is a definite  for further discussion. I think banning such an agent from the sport would be the only response but I think ours is a sport that is afraid of rocking the boat outside its immediate sphere, mostly from fear of looking "chippy",

All the best Oxford

4 minutes ago, Oxford said:

While I appreciate your views on this a blank response of not caring what they do is not really an answer to the question as we're always needing to learn from others in similar fields.

My point about any forum/sport allowing pot shots at TGG while we're busy policing responses would seem naive.

Go join those forums then and take the fight to them!  Just make sure you wipe your feet and use alcohol gel disinfectants on the way back here.

End of subject now, lets leave this to the subject at hand, Solomona and the impacts on rugby league.  I will delete any further off-topic posts or comments about moderation.

Could anyone tell me if this has been in the press? I haven't read anything about the settlement or seen anything on television about it. As far as the media is concerned is it 'let sleeping dogs lie' as the culprit in this saga was a RU club?

33 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Could anyone tell me if this has been in the press? I haven't read anything about the settlement or seen anything on television about it. As far as the media is concerned is it 'let sleeping dogs lie' as the culprit in this saga was a RU club?

It's in the sports section of The Times, same page as the Ben Kay Column on Union. Decent but short piece by Alex Lowe with the headline "Sale to pay £200K compensation for Solomona" doesn't quote Castleford's press statement but does quote Nigel Wood's "thinly-veiled criticism of the Rugby Football Union's handling of the situation"

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

So, Does anyone know if the RFL have actually taken any action against the agent in the Solomona affair?

1 minute ago, jamescolin said:

I'd look above carefully if I were you 

But it was reported by Aunty on ceefax and their RL website. 

As for the press the best you can hope for is the kind of response made by an onion pundit referred to in one of the earlier posts on this thread. Keep it about RL!This should helpClive.PNG.182905b8248961b7f61734fedd883e72.PNG Keep saying Clive Sullivan and/or The Widnes cup runs of any decade and you'll be fine!

5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

It's in the sports section of The Times, same page as the Ben Kay Column on Union. Decent but short piece by Alex Lowe with the headline "Sale to pay £200K compensation for Solomona" doesn't quote Castleford's press statement but does quote Nigel Wood's "thinly-veiled criticism of the Rugby Football Union's handling of the situation"

Quite amazing for the times, did it ask any moral questions about the event?

Still no statement from the RFU? The fact they've had almost nothing to say during this shows just how underhand the whole thing was, with the very large possibility this was done by sale with the RFU's backing. So much for a stop to hostilities between the 2 codes.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Still no statement from the RFU? The fact they've had almost nothing to say during this shows just how underhand the whole thing was, with the very large possibility this was done by sale with the RFU's backing. So much for a stop to hostilities between the 2 codes.

The RFU washed their hands of it a long time ago, stating it was an issue between Sale and Castleford and not the governing body. You can bet if the shoe was on the other foot, they would take a different stance

22 minutes ago, dkw said:

20 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The RFU washed their hands of it a long time ago, stating it was an issue between Sale and Castleford and not the governing body. You can bet if the shoe was on the other foot, they would take a different stance

:O5945239618a41_RLSnip(3).PNG.33342612ff3a19b990ba811d1b7dc576.PNGFIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!:biggrin:

BBC have report on this with comments from Dave Woods and some Union reporter (who has been quoted in this thread and says Sale are not bothered about paying a transfer fee.......  why go to court in the first place then??)

A good point from Woods - Cas are not exactly suffering and Eden has stepped up as a more than adequate replacement.  They got a decent wedge out of this and that was good.

Obviously this whole thing was a disgrace and potentially very damaging.  Hopefully it will persuade other players not to bin their contracts when an easier job comes up.

I had actually forgotten about Solomona until this thread came up - what is he doing now he has retired?

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Is £200k + costs enough to deter this happening again? My fear is no, and that's why I think they should have held out longer.

What's to stop them coming for more?

To be fair I think this is in relation to the value of his contract (which I believe was around £70-80k even when upgraded). If you were talking about someone like George Williams (3-4 years at £150k+) then it would be more I would assume.

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Is £200k + costs enough to deter this happening again? My fear is no, and that's why I think they should have held out longer.

What's to stop them coming for more?

Sale might have leant a lesson.  Last year they finished 6th, this year they are near the bottom.  Solomona is getting his part in the plan - to play for England.  Sale, paying his wages, are worse off!

6 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Sale might have leant a lesson.  Last year they finished 6th, this year they are near the bottom.  Solomona is getting his part in the plan - to play for England.  Sale, paying his wages, are worse off!

Oh no! I'm really upset for them. I'll cry if they're relegated.5945354d37e0b_NRL1.PNG.cad7ea72b08b8048c3475c20a944df72.PNGGood picture Eh? Some things say how good RL is more than others. 

28 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

No repercussions for Solomona then? Should have been suing him too.

I believe they were, and the agent too. The Castleford statement makes reference to settling their claim with Solomona, Sale  Sharks and Andrew Clarke

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

More of an example needs to be made of the agents in my opinion.  They are the ones getting a commission out of exploiting tenuous loopholes with questionable integrity.

I'm all for players maximising their earnings in short career, but commitments are to be honoured.

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The repercussion is he's got to play *union for the next 5 years, touching the ball twice a game 

:laugh:But be *warned59453eb26cc02_horror1.gif.9058c72be9d27edcff8dc9155282f23d.gif

Clarke should be banned as an agent . Also if he steps aside to circumvent the ban the RFL should also ban any organisation he has involvement with.

Our game is not awash with money, far from it. People like Clarke are bleeding it dry. If the RFL don't act (which I don't think they will). All RL chairmen with any scruples or decency should refuse to deal with Clarke or sign any player he represents. If they don't they will only have their selves to blame as parasites like him will continue to bleed their clubs dry.

Archived