Solomona case settled out of court

38 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Not read through all the recent posts but I do note concerns about precident/it happening again, etc!

I would assume clubs and the RL have taken legal advice on the contracts they use and will write to legislate against the arguement Sale used clearing any loopholes/grey area, perceived or real.

We all hope so but this is RFL?SL Clubs we're talking about.

The wording though is interesting because in their rush to spin about the morality in question they've taken the line that the crime was the victims fault for having something so desirable and not allowing us to commit the crime for whatever we wanted to pay. This would be considered the weakest, delusional and redundant defence anywhere but there it is in the National press unquestioned and barely analysed by journalists. So it's no wonder people get concerned when they see the consequences of something like this which if you interpret using that dysfunctional logic is perfectly alright!!!!!!!!

This represents a new way of working that RL has a responsibility and a dire need to address to protect its own interests. 

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was all about legal costs. Forget rugby (either code). The cost and risk of litigating including irrecoverable costs was not worth Castleford investing further.

The size of Sale's payout + costs speaks for itself that they had advice to the effect that they were more likely to lose than win.

The rest is spin.

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

Because it was a legal outcome related to a legal case and because they surrendered to the inevitable loss there is enough for similar attempts to be thwarted by using this as an example.

But they won't try this again it will be something else just as cheeky and needs to be reflected in SL contracts on our side.

Contracts need to be looked at especially for anyone who might become a target.

Cas were suing Clarke, Sale & Solomona.  None went to court so no precedents were set.  Very difficult to stop a player leaving, contract or not.  

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Cas were suing Clarke, Sale & Solomona.  None went to court so no precedents were set.  Very difficult to stop a player leaving, contract or not.  

No legal precedent set, no, But the other Premiership RU clubs will have seen Sale Spivs back down and shell out when faced with a proper challenge to their unethical behaviour. That will make them consider whether they can afford to take the same gamble, especially if the RFU are't willing to provide a financial safety-net for the consequences of such an act.

I'd expect the next RU club's approach to a RL player to be conducted very carefully and evidently above-board. Without central support, they almost certainly aren't as cashed-up as they'd like people to believe.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Apologies if I missed it earlier. 

The settlement was Cas vs Sale. What happened to the cases against the agent and player? He was the only one with a contractual link to Cas after all. 

I got really angry reading the Sale statement. Very unpleasant people all round to put it mildly. 

Overall this is a good result for rugby league.

There will clearly always be some people who will only be happy with Cas getting exactly what they want and Sale crumbling into dust for good measure. Equally, there will be people on Sale's side of the fence who will never concede that any wrongdoing took place. However I think the majority will acknowledge that this is good news. And dare I say it there will be many in rugby union, too, who think this is the best outcome. Paul Rees, the guardian RU writer, said at the end of 2016 that Castleford were well within their rights to challenge this not just because it's wrong but because of the can of worms it could open for RU. Article here and the relevant bits are at the end under "lack of Christmas spirit".

The fact that no precedent has been set whereby a player can simply retire from the game and then appear in another sport is to be appreciated. Sale having to back down over their laughably arrogant and ignorant stance that they had done no wrong could be argued to be the main victory.

Not the first time, rugby league has stood up for itself when it counted and emerged from the other side. Long may it continue.

When you add £100k legal costs for Cas (they won't have been pushing the boat out in legal costs), maybe £150-200k legal costs for Sale plus £200k+ transfer fee - anyone from Sale saying it has been a good result is an idiot.

They could have offered Cas £350k and saved themselves a lot of hassle.

22 minutes ago, Scubby said:

When you add £100k legal costs for Cas (they won't have been pushing the boat out in legal costs), maybe £150-200k legal costs for Sale plus £200k+ transfer fee - anyone from Sale saying it has been a good result is an idiot.

They could have offered Cas £350k and saved themselves a lot of hassle.

Yeah, because Cas could and probably would have asked for more. 

There was a speech in 1895 I think, about being better off without such people among our ranks which I think applies at this moment in time. And I'm sure Rowland Hill who was a very fair minded man and reminds me in so many ways of the Sale owner, wouldn't mind me borrowing and paraphrasing his words given the circumstances.

9 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Yeah, because Cas could and probably would have asked for more. 

There was a speech in 1895 I think, about being better off without such people among our ranks which I think applies at this moment in time. And I'm sure Rowland Hill who was a very fair minded man and reminds me in so many ways of the Sale owner, wouldn't mind me borrowing and paraphrasing his words given the circumstances.

Maybe they could but Sale also have the resources and bloody-mindedness to go to court, lose and then appeal with any disregard for legal costs. For Cas, that gets into very dangerous territory and Steve Gill admitted it. He was very shrewd in saying Sale would not have taken on Leeds or Wigan.

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Maybe they could but Sale also have the resources and bloody-mindedness to go to court, lose and then appeal with any disregard for legal costs. For Cas, that gets into very dangerous territory and Steve Gill admitted it. He was very shrewd in saying Sale would not have taken on Leeds or Wigan.

Which is probably why the RFL's bottoms couldn't be seen for the dust!

59 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Which is probably why the RFL's bottoms couldn't be seen for the dust!

The RFL were involved in advising Castleford, I believe.

Meanwhile, the spin continues...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Sale Sharks and Denny Solomona are delighted that the court case with Castleford Tigers has been resolved on favourable terms."original.jpg.c96af7e675b8701616ab1199cbc1a579.jpg

42 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The RFL were involved in advising Castleford, I believe.

Meanwhile, the spin continues...

If Sale are so satisfied with the outcome it begs the question "Why are they trying so hard to convince everyone"

I have seen the BBC and Sky report the statements, has anyone seen any opinion pieces by journalist/columnists in print or online?

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

I think it makes good business sense to spend £400 000 on something that you could have bought for around £250 000 a few months earlier 

That is what all the quotes from Sale are saying anyway.

Also enjoyed the BBC article about England Union reserves and their wealth of young talent (including a player poached from another sport who is not English but walked straight into the team)

Well done Cas for fighting this

So if Sale and Solomona were" quite willing to let the case run to trial, confident that they had done nothing wrong", how come they have settled now? Calling a huge dollops of Diamond BS on this one. What an unpleasant person.

Best thing in all of this though is that Cas clearly don't miss Solomona. Not one bit.

By settling they have in effect fessed up. Sadly this is probably the only place this'll be heard and even that could change.To view this in any other way than a raid, an attack on our game by a competitor is to ignore all the evidence. To see Sale's attempts to persuade as anything other than muddying the waters and getting from under the moral and general perception mess they made for themselves is bordering on the delusional. 

Will they get away with it again? Almost certainly. 

What will we do about it? Almost nothing.

Or nothing at all.

8 hours ago, foozler said:

So if Sale and Solomona were" quite willing to let the case run to trial, confident that they had done nothing wrong", how come they have settled now? Calling a huge dollops of Diamond BS on this one. What an unpleasant person.

Best thing in all of this though is that Cas clearly don't miss Solomona. Not one bit.

I think its common knowledge among Sale fans that Diamond it not the sharpest knife in the draw and his recent comments confirm that. Rumours also suggest that even his own players find his team talks comical, but are happy to accept the money that Sale pay them

Hi all,

This is my first response having been a long time reader of this forum. Solomona and Sale didn't have a leg to stand on and they thought that Cas would roll over and let him go so they could use the money they were going to pay for Solomona to try and tempt George Ford back home. Fortunately Cas were strong enough not to be intimidated by all of Solomona and Clarke pleading he was unhappy and depressed playing our great game, but he could find fulfilment playing the other code. I'm glad he's left to join a bottom 3 club rather than sitting top of SL and having 30+ tries to his name and he's proved he was only one cog in a well oiled and expertly coached side.

Morality - or rather, lack of it - does not seem to exist merely in RL-RU transactions.  I was reminded that it happens within the other code when I mentioned the Solomona outcome to a member of my village church choir at rehearsal last night.  He is a Gloucester born-and-bred lad and follows them still.  He said one player called Carl Fearns had signed for them recently, but then gave back word; clearly all he was doing was using his apparent 'signing' by Gloucester to increase the money he could screw out of his current club, Lyon.

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:32 AM, Mushy said:

Apologies if I missed it earlier. 

The settlement was Cas vs Sale. What happened to the cases against the agent and player? He was the only one with a contractual link to Cas after all. 

I got really angry reading the Sale statement. Very unpleasant people all round to put it mildly. 

yep my thoughts exactly, in fact my first reaction was that it reeked of cvntishness and seemed to be in retaliation to the cas statement that had been put out a few days earlier

11 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Morality - or rather, lack of it - does not seem to exist merely in RL-RU transactions.  I was reminded that it happens within the other code when I mentioned the Solomona outcome to a member of my village church choir at rehearsal last night.  He is a Gloucester born-and-bred lad and follows them still.  He said one player called Carl Fearns had signed for them recently, but then gave back word; clearly all he was doing was using his apparent 'signing' by Gloucester to increase the money he could screw out of his current club, Lyon.

Just to get a bit of a sense of balance there are a lot of parallels here between solomona's move and Joel Moon's move back to Australia from Salford because he was homesick. So it's right and proper to be annoyed with the people involved in this event but we don't have a strong footing on the moral high ground when things like this pass within our game more or less without comment.Having said that they are proving to be pretty vile even by those standards.

10 hours ago, Oxford said:

Just to get a bit of a sense of balance there are a lot of parallels here between solomona's move and Joel Moon's move back to Australia from Salford because he was homesick. So it's right and proper to be annoyed with the people involved in this event but we don't have a strong footing on the moral high ground when things like this pass within our game more or less without comment.Having said that they are proving to be pretty vile even by those standards.

Hudson Smith used the same ploy/trick against Salford a few years ago when he was allowed to leave on the "homesick"grounds and promptly moved to Bradford to be nearer to Australia.

I am still of the opinion though that a Sale and Diamond deserve each other and should not be trusted and the same supplies to Solomona  and his agent.

Archived