Squad News

CASS

Compared to where the club was at the start of the season, where survival as a club was paramount and talk of top 2/3 was out of the question :

The main experienced props are injured - Scholey & Coward

The 2 experienced/marquee signing have either not been as good as expected or have spent a good part injured

The 2 best potential loan players - Davies & Chamberlain - see Howarth & Joseph above

The other main loan player from the start of the season (Shelford) has also had limited games

Have lost our main strike player in Ritson

None of the young amateurs have been a standout, though such as Curwen, Hambley and Singleton are doing well, and Maudling could be a good'un

The Phillips brothers should have been standout in this division, but haven't yet

As a result

The forwards are vastly short of experienced firepower, and currently have inexperience in there as well as a lack of size

The squad we have available is now very short on game day nous

The squad is young and inexperienced, the 17/19 is constantly being changed and have had very little squad time together

I think they are doing ok

Need Howarth, Joseph, Mossop and the Phillips to step up to the plate in the coming weeks to help this young team along

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ivans82 said:

You can t win rugby matches without props who make the hard yards , we were heavily dependent on big Kris and Stevie and with them missing and Phil absent we are really lightweight , I will take any win at the moment and support anyone in a Town shirt , well done the lads that played yesterday and lets look forward to the next match ...........I very rarely listen to Town games on the radio as its too much tension for me to handle , but yesterday i listened to the last 10 mins , i have never listened to a more biassed commentary , and i know people have stated as much on here before , but Mr Gibson were you born in Coventry . You went wild when you thought Carls drop kick had gone wide , and then sounded crest fallen every time a Coventry pass went to ground .Yes you are there to be objective , but it was clear from your tone who you wanted to win , it was all about what Coventry needed to do to win , rather than how Town could keep Coventry out , even Coxy would have done a better job ! 

It was pretty clear Gibson and his mate were willing a Coventry win.  Disgusting

2 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Compared to where the club was at the start of the season, where survival as a club was paramount and talk of top 2/3 was out of the question :

The main experienced props are injured - Scholey & Coward

The 2 experienced/marquee signing have either not been as good as expected or have spent a good part injured

The 2 best potential loan players - Davies & Chamberlain - see Howarth & Joseph above

The other main loan player from the start of the season (Shelford) has also had limited games

Have lost our main strike player in Ritson

None of the young amateurs have been a standout, though such as Curwen, Hambley and Singleton are doing well, and Maudling could be a good'un

The Phillips brothers should have been standout in this division, but haven't yet

As a result

The forwards are vastly short of experienced firepower, and currently have inexperience in there as well as a lack of size

The squad we have available is now very short on game day nous

The squad is young and inexperienced, the 17/19 is constantly being changed and have had very little squad time together

I think they are doing ok

Need Howarth, Joseph, Mossop and the Phillips to step up to the plate in the coming weeks to help this young team along

Seriously hambley hasnt been a standout???? You must be joking right? Hes the best winger weve had since miller jumped ship

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

He's our leading try scorer with 15, 12 of them being in the league and 3 in cup competitions. Last time we had a winger score that amount of tries in a season if my memory is correct was Miller in 2012 when he scored about 25.

This just shows that we are getting the ball out wide a lot more than what we did in the previous few seasons, we just neee to tighten our defence up and cut out these errors/pens. This team will come good, as stated above by others we haven't had a settle 17 yet due to injuries/suspensions etc. Just n 

I also think Curwen and Singleton have done pretty well. Not standouts all the time but as first year pro players I think they've shown they can play, I really like Maudling too and he's scored 6 tries in no time, he's rangy, elusive and runs good lines and aggressive. Personally I think recruitment has been good , Dowsett was another who was more than capable but the leaders need to lead and set the example, last year it was all Vievers fault, now its Clark's maybe some of the players should stop looking to blame elsewhere ,look at themselves and sort it on the field. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this team is underachieving and there isn't anything other than Toronto who we are not capable of beating. 

50 minutes ago, wonky said:

Seriously hambley hasnt been a standout???? You must be joking right? Hes the best winger weve had since miller jumped ship

Joe is so good I'm starting to worry that he'll be registering on the radar of other clubs. Hope we do have him on a long term contract because I think he has the potential to perform higher up the food chain. 

10 hours ago, Okesene said:

It was pretty clear Gibson and his mate were willing a Coventry win.  Disgusting

The 'expert' pundit with him was a joke, ex Coventry assistant coach apparently but very time Gibson asked him what Coventry needed to do he simply said they should try something different??

Absolutely priceless, think anyone could have come up with that one!

Hambley is a very good winger and he was brought here by Clarke who has worked with him in the past , Clarkes style of coaching has been behind Hambleys success and if Hambley had been here the previous 3 seasons or so he would have spent  long lonely spells on the edges kicking grass .

4 hours ago, Onreport said:

The 'expert' pundit with him was a joke, ex Coventry assistant coach apparently but very time Gibson asked him what Coventry needed to do he simply said they should try something different??

Absolutely priceless, think anyone could have come up with that one!

Pretty much what town fans think about Gibson 

20 minutes ago, townie88 said:

That footage just confirms how we struggled against their two big men. The lads reaction at the end (not going crazy about snatching the win) shows me they know they underperformed. Hopefully right a few wrongs this weekend. 

why go high on a 20 odd stone prop ? every one of them went for upper body , it should be drilled into them one above to wrap up the ball , one below to make the fall .

How on earth did neither the tj or ref call that last pass on the first try as forward.

Rasool is clearly seen (35 seconds in) throwing the ball forward .

I know these things are supposed to even out over the season but I've noticed that whenever a team is struggling little things like that always seem to not go their way.

I'm sure its happened to you too.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Some of the tackling was just plain lazy, I don't know how Clark can be blamed after watching that. Plenty to work on in defence this week though!

I can't remember his name but there was a Keighley ( i think) half back who used to drop those kick offs in that space to get the ball back, I thought the art of the clever kick off had died. Our two lads were both asleep and didn't even get anywhere near the ball.  Holty was probably the best we have had for inventive kick offs of the recent past. 

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

3 minutes ago, Bearman said:

How on earth did neither the tj or ref call that last pass on the first try as forward.

Rasool is clearly seen (35 seconds in) throwing the ball forward .

I know these things are supposed to even out over the season but I've noticed that whenever a team is struggling little things like that always seem to not go their way.

I'm sure its happened to you too.

Its a bit like your last try.   A brilliant little chip over and then a fantastic bounce grrrrrrr!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

12 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

Some of the tackling was just plain lazy, I don't know how Clark can be blamed after watching that. Plenty to work on in defence this week though!

I can't remember his name but there was a Keighley ( i think) half back who used to drop those kick offs in that space to get the ball back, I thought the art of the clever kick off had died. Our two lads were both asleep and didn't even get anywhere near the ball.  Holty was probably the best we have had for inventive kick offs of the recent past. 

Dont forget J.S.

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

Match highlights below, some of our defending for a couple of their tries was shocking...

shocking defence. The try from the kick off is inexcusable. Give him (DC) a  chance somebody said. Yes he needs a chance. A chance to watch that video and sort thats shambolic defence out

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

Match highlights below, some of our defending for a couple of their tries was shocking...

Jeez--- much of that "defence" looks like touch rugby. That crucial part of the game has gone to the dogs in recent games. Let's hope we make amends next up. 

Yep , take out a couple of lucky breaks for our tries and that's a seriously bad end up . Some of their tries were literally terrible and inexcusable from our viewpoint , and tackling big guys  should be something that's part n parcel . Plenty to ponder for everyone 

1 hour ago, The Voodooguru said:

Clarke can be blamed because its him coaching the players.  We have gone backwards since the start of the season. 

3 hours ago, bomberisgod said:

Dont forget J.S.

I hadn't forgotten about him Bomber, his kick off's were excellent but I think it was more putting snow on them either long or short or drilling them to bounce into touch rarther than cheeky inventive ones from the kick off for JS.

2 hours ago, town4me said:

Clarke can be blamed because its him coaching the players.  We have gone backwards since the start of the season. 

So do you think he is coaching them the tackling on show in that clip t4me? Although we a have a few lads in their first season in the semi pro ranks, it's not like they are brand new to tackling. At under 11's I was shown how to tackle and it wasn't using arm grabs on big players, so how they have got this far up the ladder without learning is a mystery to me. If it was the defensive shape that was all over the place then I'd agree then it's the coaches fault, but if it's lazy tackling technique then I'd point the finger at the players.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Archived