Championship Coach of Year

EQUALIZER

He has done really well so far but to baldly state that he is obviously the No.1 contender might be doing a diservice to some others.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 hours ago, coolie said:

I personally think

matt diskin is doing a fantastic job ;)

Well, just remember how JK struggled in 2015 with their fans calling for his head. He turned things around spectacularly, as might MD. Stranger things have happened.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Well, just remember how JK struggled in 2015 with their fans calling for his head. He turned things around spectacularly, as might MD. Stranger things have happened.

As we've done removed shall we kindly say the "stronger character players" MD may have to do the same to succeed in turning it into "his team" think he's realised it's easier to go along with these players rather than against them in the meantime just to see out the season, then start chopping and changing, this team is still basically kears team so a overhaul is on the cards.

On 05/07/2017 at 8:43 AM, coolie said:

As we've done removed shall we kindly say the "stronger character players" MD may have to do the same to succeed in turning it into "his team" think he's realised it's easier to go along with these players rather than against them in the meantime just to see out the season, then start chopping and changing, this team is still basically kears team so a overhaul is on the cards.

i reckon there will only be one chop at end a season..:ph34r: start again for 2018..

On 05/07/2017 at 8:43 AM, coolie said:

Problem with that theory is, most of the squad is on a two year deal, therefore there won't be much changing in terms of squad, as I can't see us paying them off, or anyone else coming in with a transfer fee for them. 

50 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Problem with that theory is, most of the squad is on a two year deal, therefore there won't be much changing in terms of squad, as I can't see us paying them off, or anyone else coming in with a transfer fee for them. 

I can guarantee you will lose players at the end of the season

Contracts mean very little in the modern game

And integrity & loyalty are not high on the agenda for some players as we all know ;)

3 hours ago, coolie said:

I can guarantee you will lose players at the end of the season

Contracts mean very little in the modern game

And integrity & loyalty are not high on the agenda for some players as we all know ;)

Very true and In all honesty, I won't be losing much sleep if a few did move on to pastures new. I heard the rumours about Patch a week or two ago and he would be a big loss, but he is one of only 3 first team regulars who are not contracted for next year. What Patch lacks in pace, he more than makes up for in kicking ability, game management and influence on the rest of the team. Bretherton and Cowling are the other two who are not already signed up for next year. Unless you know something I don't?

I wouldn't be surprised if Hallet leaves, but then again he has already gone of sorts, as has O'Sullivan, Hayward and Hill, but the latter 3 have not been first team regulars anyway.

AFAIK the pack are all on 2 year deals, and I can't see us releasing any of them without a decent transfer fee, the same goes for Brambani, Scott, Rettie, Smeaton and Ainscough. 

Bretherton will probably retire, he has been threatening to for the last 3 seasons, unless he decides to join Patch for a final fling at his old club?   

What worries me though, is where are we going to find a halfback replacement if the Patch rumour is true? I've also heard the Kyle Briggs rumour, but he is well past his best and has been injury prone since he was at Bradford all those years ago. Brambani isn't getting any younger either. The only decent Halfbacks can command top wages, I cannot see either you, us nor most teams in the Championship meeting the demands of say a Sammut, Thackray or Ford anytime soon. 

There seems to be very few decent halfbacks or centres full stop, let alone available to Championship teams. The only ones that there are, all seem to be signed up by SL clubs and are only available on DR when it suits there parent club.

The problem with that is, like we have found with Holmes this year, you cannot rely on having them available every week, so they are a bit of a non starter at halfback if you want to achieve anything, as it isn't a position like say centre, where you can get away with playing a second rower there without much detriment. But it looks like most of the division will have to go down that route in the coming years.

I was hoping we might have swooped in for Chris Atkin from Swinton, he really impressed me when we played them, he looked very lively, but we were never going to compete with HKR once they came sniffing.

I've also heard, probably most of you have too, that Gareth Moore is rumoured to be coming back to the Mount next season. In all honesty, I wouldn't be thrilled with that either, you are more than welcome to keep him, it would be a huge backwards step if it is true, although maybe 3rd time a charm and all that? ;)

But back on topic, my vote would probably go to Richard Marshall at Halifax, they were in the mire at the begining of the season and look like they could make the top 4, he is the standout for me this season. He always comes across well when I've heard him interviewed too, he never seems to make excuses for losing, he doesn't blame the ref or even the players for not sticking to the game plan. ;) 

16 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Lots to ponder above, but jut a small one first. Hasn't Hallett left Batley and joined Dewsbury permanently? That was my impression at the time it was announced!

Yes, it was a straight swap for Crookes.

Despite what Coolie says when players decide to leave part-way through a contract then a transfer fee is payable. Not many Championship clubs pay transfer fees nowadays, and Fev can only play 17 men at any one time.

10 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, it was a straight swap for Crookes.

Despite what Coolie says when players decide to leave part-way through a contract then a transfer fee is payable. Not many Championship clubs pay transfer fees nowadays, and Fev can only play 17 men at any one time.

In most cases a nominal fee is passed between clubs as a transfer fee from as little as a grand,when folk start talking transfer fee's they associate them bringing thousands of pounds.

On 11/07/2017 at 8:29 AM, distantdog said:

Lots to ponder above, but jut a small one first. Hasn't Hallett left Batley and joined Dewsbury permanently? That was my impression at the time it was announced!

According to the Batley News he is only on loan until the end of the season.

Archived