Middle 8s fixture format

Can anyone help please?  I've been searching for a while, to no avail, trying to find something that explains the fixture format for the middle 8s (i.e. Who plays who, and where, based on finishing positions).  Can anyone provide a link please?

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

And here lies the problem. You basically have weeks of TBC right in the heart of the season. Take a look at Toronto's match schedule through the eyes of a new and exited RL convert? It is stupid.

People on this board are not really representative of the general RL fan - we are often RL tragics and follow things closely. There are plenty of things to do between July and September on weekends. We are giving people an invitation to make other plans with nothing on the table.

And when are the games played.....Can HKR play their 4 home games on a Sunday,our day? And the away Championship game on a Sunday? Any Thursday games or will Sky cover all middle 8 games on a Saturday?

The need to book time off, arrange travel and find cheap hotels hardly comes into it. And presumably 4 teams will be travelling to Catalans at short notice. All very exciting or expensive!

8 hours ago, Scubby said:

And here lies the problem. You basically have weeks of TBC right in the heart of the season. Take a look at Toronto's match schedule through the eyes of a new and exited RL convert? It is stupid.

People on this board are not really representative of the general RL fan - we are often RL tragics and follow things closely. There are plenty of things to do between July and September on weekends. We are giving people an invitation to make other plans with nothing on the table.

If we finish 8th we play Toronto at home ... but if you climb to 6th on the last day it's Toronto away . Lots of time to plan for club and diehard fan 

10 hours ago, DavidM said:

If we finish 8th we play Toronto at home ... but if you climb to 6th on the last day it's Toronto away . Lots of time to plan for club and diehard fan 

Which is your team David?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Workington Town . Yes I know , it's  a tough gig 

Seems like if you are in 8th spot and can't be caught on the last day it would be less expensive for all concerned not to win!

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

21 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Seems like if you are in 8th spot and can't be caught on the last day it would be less expensive for all concerned not to win!

Or a once in a lifetime opportunity if you do win? Depends which glass you have?

17 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Or a once in a lifetime opportunity if you do win? Depends which glass you have?

Or how deep your pockets are!

5 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Or how deep your pockets are!

If I supported Workington I would want to see my team play there even if I couldn't afford to go. The real shame is that without this blind stupid 8s nonsense Dave and other Town fans could have had 6 months to plan a trip there. Next year we will have SL sides potentially going there at a fortnight's notice. Nuts! 

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If I supported Workington I would want to see my team play there even if I couldn't afford to go. The real shame is that without this blind stupid 8s nonsense Dave and other Town fans could have had 6 months to potentially plan a trip there. Next year we will have SL sides potentially going there at a fortnight's notice. Nuts! 

See these are opinions that are a matter of taste Scubbs, my team will be entering the 8's for the third year in a row and this will be the third year they will have the tag as favourites, the first two favourites to gain promotion and the this year favourites to get relegated, but you know I have completely enjoyed them, I have attended all but one my team has been involved in, and taken in all the other televised games as they have been screened - fixture clashes excluded - I find the games have been exiting, and mostly pleasurable.

Next year all the teams in the Championship will have a minimum of 6 months and up to a maximum of 10 months to plan their "once in a lifetime trip, albeit granted there could be the problem of a quick turn around in the 8's, perhaps they should be obliged to find a surrogate "home ground" over here for the comp.

I am hiding behind the couch now!

This is where the whole system falls down IMO. Clubs have no idea who they are going to play until the league part is over and then they have a week to organise and try to market and sell tickets and hospitality for these games, against teams that they have already played twice.

10 minutes ago, GaryO said:

See these are opinions that are a matter of taste Scubbs, my team will be entering the 8's for the third year in a row and this will be the third year they will have the tag as favourites, the first two favourites to gain promotion and the this year favourites to get relegated, but you know I have completely enjoyed them, I have attended all but one my team has been involved in, and taken in all the other televised games as they have been screened - fixture clashes excluded - I find the games have been exiting, and mostly pleasurable.

Next year all the teams in the Championship will have a minimum of 6 months and up to a maximum of 10 months to plan their "once in a lifetime trip, albeit granted there could be the problem of a quick turn around in the 8's, perhaps they should be obliged to find a surrogate "home ground" over here for the comp.

I am hiding behind the couch now!

I don't have a problem with that. Everyone is entitled to a view. However, if it plays out, it will be quite sad seeing 100 Leigh fans at a half-full Stade Gilbert Brutus though - because that is what it will be in the middle 8s. Takes the shine off a wonderful occasion there just last week and is not what elite sport is supposed to be about as it draws to a climax. 

17 hours ago, PoorhousePete said:

This is great. Thanks.  Sooner we get dates for the matches the better, I guess SKY will have a lot to do with the scheduling which is a bit of a pain ( particularly for the Champ sides who are mostly used to Sunday games)

If Sky follow what they have done in the last two years the middle 8's games will be televised on Saturday afternoons Pete, and the Championship club will receive NO fee whatsoever from Sky for that privilege 

16 minutes ago, GaryO said:

If Sky follow what they have done in the last two years the middle 8's games will be televised on Saturday afternoons Pete, and the Championship club will receive NO fee whatsoever from Sky for that privilege 

Sky don't pay anybody directly. SL clubs set aside some cash from central funds that gets divided up based on TV appearances as the championship clubs don't contribute to this fund they don't receive any of the cash

27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sky don't pay anybody directly. SL clubs set aside some cash from central funds that gets divided up based on TV appearances as the championship clubs don't contribute to this fund they don't receive any of the cash

Whatever Spidey, but that does not make it right, the Championship clubs are contributing just by taking part in the fixture, there should be some reward for televising that.

The SL clubs that are taking part are effectivly getting a reward for a failed season i.e. finishing in the bottom 4, they will most likely get more "air time" than a club finishing in 5th to 8th.

7 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Whatever Spidey, but that does not make it right, the Championship clubs are contributing just by taking part in the fixture, there should be some reward for televising that.

The SL clubs that are taking part are effectivly getting a reward for a failed season i.e. finishing in the bottom 4, they will most likely get more "air time" than a club finishing in 5th to 8th.

I didn't say it was right or wrong it's just what the SL clubs decided to do, and pointing out that SKY don't pay anybody on a per game basis. It's probably something that should be resolved but would the Championship teams be willing to give up some of their central funding for this?

Arent the top four of the Championship getting more central funding than ever before. Is this not compensation enough?

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I didn't say it was right or wrong it's just what the SL clubs decided to do, and pointing out that SKY don't pay anybody on a per game basis. It's probably something that should be resolved but would the Championship teams be willing to give up some of their central funding for this?

Arent the top four of the Championship getting more central funding than ever before. Is this not compensation enough?

This doesn't smell nice.  If the champ clubs receive no 'payout' are they allowed to charge SKY to set their equipment up if it's a home game?  HKR and ( probably, ) London are going to have 4 home games each; 2 of which will be against super league sides. CH3 have 1 SL team at home and CH4 have 2 SL teams at home. Or will SKY only televise games at Super League grounds?

Just now, PoorhousePete said:

This doesn't smell nice.  If the champ clubs receive no 'payout' are they allowed to charge SKY to set their equipment up if it's a home game?  HKR and ( probably, ) London are going to have 4 home games each; 2 of which will be against super league sides. CH3 have 1 SL team at home and CH4 have 2 SL teams at home. Or will SKY only televise games at Super League grounds?

Like I touched on they receive more central funding than ever since sky started the middle 8s coverage. Is this not compensation enough? Surely they want to be televised its exposure for their sponsors for a start

2 hours ago, GaryO said:

Thanks Gary.  I'm particularly interested because I have a few uninitiated talking about coming along and want to choose the matches and get the tickets sorted as soon as possible so they can't back out. :tongue:

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Like I touched on they receive more central funding than ever since sky started the middle 8s coverage. Is this not compensation enough? Surely they want to be televised its exposure for their sponsors for a start

I don't entirely disagree Spidey.  As I said, it just doesn't smell right.  Yes, there is more central funding than before but that's a seperate issue. The TV exposure is certainly a good thing both for the club itself and for the sponsors.  I'd like to see a little bit of the pie going to the "poorer cousins" but I'm not going to make a placard and march on Red Hall about it.  Minor issue really on the scale of things.

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Through experience being g a Leigh fan, the previous 2 years of the 8's most probably,y had us televised the most, the first year in particular we had 3 televised games, Saturday afternoons, at the start of the Football season (albeit that does not interest me in slightest, it matters to some) hence our attendances were down on what they were expected to be.

Archived