Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
R0ughyeds

Rochdale or swinton

Recommended Posts

With Rochdale taking on Swinton at home today, what would be the best result for the roughyeds? 

             
9  Rochdale   20     5      14  11
10  Oldham   20  5 14  11
11  Swinton   20  5 15  10

I'd go for a Swinton win.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, roughyed1064 said:

surprise, surprise, Oldham lost.

Wow! .........fancy losing to the third best team in the league with the injuries we have!

The lads did okay today and with a few more favourable calls it could have been v close. 

I don't understand the constant bashing but I hope you're paying money each week to make an informed opinion?!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oldham Forever said:

Oh hi Roughyed1064 we missed you last week! I take it you were on your holidays? Anywhere nice?

Probably Toulouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard on the grapevine that Swinton are in a financial mess. If that's the case and they go into administration they could be automatically relegated with Bradford. I can't see the RL making Swinton a special case.

I hope I am wrong and Swinton are OK - let's get the hairnets down where they belong.

Edited by jroyales
misspelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jroyales said:

I hope I am wrong and Swinton are OK - let's get the hairnets down where they belong.

I was reading your post in a "rugby league family" way, then you stuck the boot in to the hairnets right at the end and I lol'd!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jroyales said:

Heard on the grapevine that Swinton are in a financial mess. If that's the case and they go into administration they could be automatically relegated with Bradford. I can't see the RL making Swinton a special case.

I hope I am wrong and Swinton are OK - let's get the hairnets down where they belong.

I'd love nothing more than for Hornets to run riot in the forth coming game. Having said that I wouldn't want the Biffo's to go down. Where's the fun in that ? No Derby games ? They've been great this season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad to hear about swintons problems, I for one hope they can sort their predicament out.I know that we're all rivals but I'm sure we'd be worse off without these rivalries. Could you imagine no more roughyeds v hornets, no neither can I.The game needs to preserve our clubs and their individual heritage.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd love nothing more than for Hornets to run riot in the forth coming game. Having said that I wouldn't want the Biffo's to go down. Where's the fun in that ? No Derby games ? They've been great this season.

Banter has been good all season with the nets, I have a pal that supports them and if we both follow the rules of engagement it's fine.  I.e no blatant abuse of the team on the wrong end of the result. 

That said we owe them a after a loss and a draw this season. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, howardm1978 said:

Banter has been good all season with the nets, I have a pal that supports them and if we both follow the rules of engagement it's fine.  I.e no blatant abuse of the team on the wrong end of the result. 

That said we owe them a after a loss and a draw this season. 

The bloke that coached me as a football player gave me this advice - " Be a bad loser but also be a good winner ". 

" When the final whistle blows if you're lucky enough to be on the winning side that should be enough for anybody ".

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mustn't have been watching many of the Yed's games when we have been the better team and poor refereeing, the bounce of the ball, the ball hitting a post (Halifax) and bouncing into a players hands to go onto score, etc.etc.etc.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the news this morning (Thursday) that Swinton ARE in real trouble and the supporters are trying to put a package together so as to save the club.

What a tragedy if the Lions folded at the expense of Toronto, Toulouse, Catalan and anybody else the RFL can get into sooperdooper league. I am sure they RL won't jump in as quick as they did to save Bradford!

Surely, the time has come when we let sooperdooper league go its own way with Sky and the rest of true Rugby League set itself up with its own competitions and sponsors. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12 July 2017 at 9:49 AM, jroyales said:

You mustn't have been watching many of the Yed's games when we have been the better team and poor refereeing, the bounce of the ball, the ball hitting a post (Halifax) and bouncing into a players hands to go onto score, etc.etc.etc.

I've been watching since 1966 guys and with my hand on my heart I can honestly say I've only seen the best team lose on less than a dozen occasions in all that time.

Normally the best team will have had more ball, better field positions etc. Most of the time in Rugby League those two factors alone are crucial.

That's what make League such a great game, you can't " Park the bus " as they say in football and get everybody behind the ball and play for a draw or a lucky break away goal.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jroyales said:

On the news this morning (Thursday) that Swinton ARE in real trouble and the supporters are trying to put a package together so as to save the club.

What a tragedy if the Lions folded at the expense of Toronto, Toulouse, Catalan and anybody else the RFL can get into sooperdooper league. I am sure they RL won't jump in as quick as they did to save Bradford!

Surely, the time has come when we let sooperdooper league go its own way with Sky and the rest of true Rugby League set itself up with its own competitions and sponsors. 

I share your views on Swinton and the possibility of a famous old club going out of business. When I first started watching they were one of the very top sides and Station Road a great venue.

Wether forming a break away competition is a goer I just don't know. How much sponsorship such a league or leagues would be able to command is very much in doubt. I've no delusions of Super League grandeur for my club but I suspect one or two in our league still have pipe dreams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2017 at 8:18 AM, jroyales said:

On the news this morning (Thursday) that Swinton ARE in real trouble and the supporters are trying to put a package together so as to save the club.

What a tragedy if the Lions folded at the expense of Toronto, Toulouse, Catalan and anybody else the RFL can get into sooperdooper league. I am sure they RL won't jump in as quick as they did to save Bradford!

Surely, the time has come when we let sooperdooper league go its own way with Sky and the rest of true Rugby League set itself up with its own competitions and sponsors. 

And how exactly are those 3 teams responsible?

  • Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BR - I think the real discussion (and this is a massive debate) is that Rugby League in the heartlands has suffered due to the RFL expansion policy. it seems they would rather artificially create new clubs in random locations around the country than work with traditional areas.

I don't have a problem withe the French or Canadian clubs, indeed, the French Clubs could be classed as traditional areas.

I worry that the lack of effort made with the traditional clubs is having a drastic effect on the game in general. The heartlands are where the majority of clubs get their players from. If these clubs continue to decline as they are, then this impacts on the junior teams within these towns and areas.

We can see this from our town as a good example. The junior set up in Oldham was immense, at one stage we had three clubs in the NCL premier league. These clubs had two or three open age teams and a youth set up behind them. In addition we had plenty of lower league teams giving a lot more players a match.

Now we have three main teams struggling to get just one teams out each week, and three lower tier clubs.

Interest is dying. As Oldham RLFC has struggled this has reflected on the Junior Clubs

The wild expansion policy of the RFL at the expense of the heartlands has caused big problems.

I haven't got answers, but truly the RFL need to invest more time and resource and sorting the problems in the heartlands.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...