Grounds where you have seen Barrow RL play

Wandering pete

Just a bit of fun...how many different grounds have you seen Barrow RL play at over a lifetime well spent   ??

Again,Steve Andrews will be awarding points and may well belt out a couple of Temptations numbers(karaoke style) to the lucky winner?

I'll get the ball rolling. Speaking for myself, I haven't been to all the current grounds by any means, but this made me realise how many old grounds (and some clubs) no longer exist.

Here's a list of grounds where I've seen Barrow play but are either defunct or RL is no longer played there:

Carlisle - Brunton Park/Gillford Park

Runcorn - Canal Street

Chorley - Victory Park

Wigan - Springfield Park (turned up at the ground, but the game got called off due to a frozen pitch so never actually saw Barrow play)

Preston - Deepdale

Mansfield - Field Mill

Barnet - Copthall Stadium (now redeveloped as Saracens' ground, Allianz Park)

Blackpool - Borough Park, Woodlands Memorial Ground (Fylde RU)

York - Clarence Street

Bramley - McLaren Field

Doncaster - Tattersfield

Oldham - Watersheddings

Hull - Boulevard

Warrington - Wilderspool

Wigan - Central Park

Think you're mixing your football and rugby there mate. Did Wigan ever play at Springfield Park? And Preston? Remember being at old Salford, Swinton, St Helens as well. Remember Tattersfield also. Great name for the place. Stood in a huge cow mess. Stunk the bus out going home.

Not mixing up with football at all. When Borough Park in Blackpool got demolished, the rugby league club limped along for a few more seasons, leading a nomadic existence of diminishing returns.

One of these seasons was as the very short-lived Springfield Borough in Wigan.

Chorley Borough, Trafford Borough and Lancashire Lynx (they played at Deepdale) were other legacy Blackpool Borough clubs. 

Can I broaden the discussion a bit Pete.  At Breakfast Club this morning we were trying to work out how many pro clubs own there own grounds apart from Barrow. Does anybody know the answer. Steve was in on that discusion.

Sorry to side track your interesting line. Dave & Pete.

Ah, thanks Dave. Sorry mate. You learn something everyday.

Remember seeing Barrow play at Craven Cottage and the football must have played there when they were flying high in the old 3rd Division. The wall now demolished near Asda had the words "Putney Boots Boys" near to "Barrow rule the third".

Also let's not forget the rugby and football playing against Town a Borough Park

Shipbuilider01.png

Yep, was at that match. The day my father died in NL. How could I forget? Remember that wall. it also said 'Jimmy Conway for England'. He was a good winger for them. Don't think he made it though.

In addition to the grounds already mentioned...

Kent Invicta(Maidstone Utd)...Scarborough...Huyton...Nottingham...South Wales Crusaders...Blackpool FC...Gateshead Stadium...York(Huntingdon)...Hunslet(Elland  Rd)...Oldham(FC/Whitebank)...Rochdale(Boundary Pk)...Swinton(station rd)/bury fc/moor lane/sedgeley pk. )...dewsbury(crown flat)...halifax(thrum hall)..sheffield(don valley/owlerton)...leigh(Hilton pk)...Cardiff....huddersfield(far town)...salford(willows)...st Helens(Knowsley rd)...south wales(Caerphilly ru)..hull Kr...London broncos(stoop)

Running total of nearly 50 grounds before we come to the grounds which are still in use....(to be continued)

We mustn't forget The Boulevard in Hull - that was in the old days when Super Dooper league clubs owned their own grounds before becoming rent boys.

Also - did we ever play Bradford at Valley Parade? Not sure if we ever played at Southend when Kent Invicta went walkabouts

Shipbuilider01.png

On 7/11/2017 at 7:05 PM, Plan of Attack said:

Did we play Gateshead at South shields FC one year as the international stadium was been re-seeded

Yes, Filtrona Park. That was the day I first met our very own "Wandering Pete"

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Bit of a shock reading a thread which doesn't involve playing Saturday nights or Sunday afternoon! early 2000's we played Gateshead at a ground called Percy Park, Bramley played at Leeds RU which is now the Rhinos training ground I think, there's probably more but need to think about it

22 minutes ago, SJD said:

Did you play Gateshead on a Saturday or a Sunday? ;)

Sunday, the crowd was a massive 278?

Lancashire Lynx played at Preston Grasshoppers RU for a season

Raiders played Harlequins at The Stoop about 2006

Regarding Doncaster after Tattersfield they played at a greyhound stadium not athletics I think, also they played a couple of seasons at Belle Vue.

Huddersfield played at Leeds Road (Huddersfield Town FC) after they left Fartown, which I think is more or less where the Galpharm Stadium is (if that's what it's called now)

The number of grounds has now passed 80....that's before we bring in the current Superleague/Champ and League 1 venues.To  get to the overall total...not sure if Barrow have played at...Oxford/Hemel/NW Crusaders new ground/Oldham at Stalybridge Celtic/Swinton at Sale.

5 hours ago, Stephen Andrews said:

I remember that game at Carlisle RU Phil, I think it was Brett Mcs debut and he absolutely smashed Stuart Rhodes who looked totally shocked that this scrawny kid had hit him so hard!! It wasnt on a par with when he flattened Barrie McDermott at CP and Barrie got up and shook his hand but it was still very impressive for a 17 year old!

The dog track at Doncaster we played at in 1996 and 1997 was called The Meadow Court Stadium and I think we lost both times, once heavily and once narrowly.

I'm pretty sure we won in a tight game (21.01.96) 16-17 but yes got slapped in the other game!

• 3 weeks later...

..Doncaster Athletic track will count as an additional ground.With only (hopefully) two more away fixtures this season..it's a good time to update the list of grounds where you have seen Barrow RL play.Current total is 82(ish) ..League 1 adds another 12...excluding Oxford/Hemel/NWC/S.Wales ??.

The Championship gives a further 9...excluding current HKR/Broncos/Oldham venues with a final 7 Super Dooper stadia not Salford/Huddersfield/Sts/Hull/Catalan.

Overall total is an amazing 110 

This includes the grounds not in use ..eg NWC at Wrexham FC/Oldham -Watersheddings/Oldham FC/Whitebank...etc etc

Need to check on Hemel/ Oxford and probably a few more..!??

Have you got both Toulouse grounds on the list? We've played them at both Stade de Minimes (in Toulouse itself) and also at the Stade Ernest Argelès in Blagnac across the river, where they've been playing while their own gtound gets redeveloped.

Mais Oui Monsieur Dave...

As follows...

Barrow,Batley,Belle Vue,Blackpool Borough(3),Blackpool FC,Bradford,Bramley(3),Cardiff(2),Carlisle(3),Castleford,Chorley(2),Coventry,

Dewsbury(2),Doncaster(4),Featherstone,Gateshead/Newcastle(4),Gloucester All Golds,Halifax(2),Highfield(2),Huddersfield(2),Hull,HKR(2),Hunslet(4),Huyton,

Keighley,Kent Invicta,Lancashire Lynx(2),Leeds,Leigh(2),Leigh Miners,Liverpool Stanley(2),London Broncos/Harlequins(5),London Skolars,Mansfield/Nottingham(4),Mayfield,North Wales Crusaders,Oldham(3),

Rochdale(2),Runcorn,St Helens,Salford,Scarborough,Sheffield(2),S.Wales,

S.Wales Crusaders,Springfield Borough,Swinton(5),Toulouse(2),Toronto,

Trafford Borough,Wakefield,Warrington(2),Wembley,West Hull,Whitehaven

Widnes,Wigan(2),York(4)

plus 3 friendlies in the West Country..Camborne/Newton Abbott/Penzance

and 3 more at Dalton,Millom and Roose

Total of 110

Archived