Crucial win

glemiln

Well done the lads... a tense encounter it seems, but the crucial two points going into the final two league games.  4 points would give us 8th spot and 4 home games in the Shield.

Oldham = Eagles(a),US (h); Swinton = Dews (h), Bulls (a); Dewsbury = Swinton (a); Sheffield(h).   Final league positions will be close.

Today an impressive 21/8 second half, having suffered a 10-3 penalty count against us first half; a yellow card and 6 tries but only 3 conversions!  Trust we finished without any more injuries.

Bring on the Broncos.

Good luck to Swinton in surviving another winding-up petition - £100k in debt, apparently!

Well what a game that was. All credit to the 34 players who took part in a classic game of rugby league. My mum used to say " if you can't say anything good about a person don't say anything " so I won't mention the officials.

How we won that game I'm not quite sure. We had enough chances to win two games but it seemed we were looking for new ways to lose. We managed to throw the ball into touch when it was easier to score, 4 points at least gone begging there. Two tries ruled out for " crossing" that seemed to me just the same as lots you seen given in other games. Several kicks at goal missed.

We gifted Swindon a couple of tries, failing to put grubber kicks  into row " Z " when it was the easiest thing in the world to do. 

They say " When the going gets tough the tough get going". That was Hornets today, we dug deep and just about came out on top. Several players were playing with injuries but gave 110%. Johnno Smith and Rob Masam were outstanding in their commitment to the cause. Danny Yates lost nothing in comparison with the highly rated Chris Atkin.

All in all an hard earned two points that might be the difference between dropping into the bottom two and not doing.

I can't fault the effort from any of the players. A good win. The result could have gone either way right until the last minute. Swinton's penalty that hit the post (which would have put them a point ahead) and then Rob Massam scoring a try straight after with only a few minutes left swung the points our way.

" These Lads Can Run For Eighty Minutes " has a good report on yesterday's game. 

Thinking about it this morning games like yesterday's are why we love rugby league. It had everything. Edge of the seat job from first to last. Total commitment from every player on both teams.

I have a season ticket now but if it's £13 to get in it'd be the best £13 I spent all week.

5 hours ago, ormskirknet said:

Superb result, and crucial as well. Well done all, back to back win would be awsome now but London will provide a huge test next week

Reading between the lines of the coaches after match speech some of the guys who've been playing injured recently might be rested with one eye on the up coming Oldham game.

Then again, Broncos have qualified for the top four and season points obtained are wiped for their 8's. They may wish to finish on a high at home to Batley.   If we could get 2pts and Swinton beat Dewsbury, we cannot be overtaken for 8th place.  Then, another 2 off Oldham would put us in a great position for the last  with 4 home games.  Keep up the momentum, finish as you mean to go on, I say. 

When the bottom 4 super league clubs play the top 4 in our league,  it could be the top 6 of that league move up to supet league due to restructuring. So London next 2 games are for nothing, it could help our cause.

2 hours ago, mickhornet said:

If we could keep Jarrod  Samutt  quiet who knows. In London we were in front 8-6 at half time only to lose 26-8 mostly down to him.

Is he good enough for super league?

Promotion for London and get him signed up for next season. I'm sure he'd love a decent pint.;)

Archived