Brian Glover RIP

Tyrone Shoelaces

I see from today's RL Express that Brian Glover who played on the wing for Hornets during the Frank Myler era has recently passed away at the age of 81.  Previously he'd been a star with Warrington and then moved on to St Helens. I remember him being a burly, strong, hard running player who didn't bother with any of the fancy stuff like sidesteps but just went for the corner flag.

Yes he was at the end of his career, but like most of the experienced pros Myler signed he was still a productive player and helped transform the team from a bottom feeder to one of the strongest teams in the league.

Interesting to read the obit in the Warrington press.  Having spent most of his career at the Wire he left for his home town Saints in 1970 when the Wire were struggling financially.

"Brian left in 1970, nearly 13 years after he first appeared for the club, to move to St. Helens. Despite playing for his home town team, he did not find the experience as memorable at his times at Wilderspool. He said: "It wasn't the same as Warrington. We even had to wash our own kit! I went on to Rochdale for a couple of seasons after that and had a good time there though."

It was a great time to be a Hornets player or fan.

RIP Brian.

Archived