Job hunting

On 10/08/2017 at 9:01 PM, Derwent said:

£5k is cheap in the recruitment business. Some of the higher end agencies charge a one off fee to the employer of between 25 and 30% of the employee's total annual financial package. Employ somebody on £100k a year with a car and bonus etc and the fee can easily top £35k.

I didn't think agencies were allowed to charge a fee following the law change that allows agency workers to apply for jobs at their placement organisation from day one?

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am now officially back in the jobhunting market even though my current job - one which I would very much like to have converted to a permanent contract - only finishes at the end of December.  Thus I am a very reluctant jobhunter this time around.  I am really hoping that the organisational changes around the corner which will result in more jobs being created will provide me with the chance to convert to permanent.  I love this job and it's the best paid job I have ever had (bonus).  The only downside is that it is in Liverpool, a city I dislike with some enthusiasm and which involves the best part of 1.5 hours commute each way, Northern Rail allowing.

Just now, Saintslass said:

I didn't think agencies were allowed to charge a fee following the law change that allows agency workers to apply for jobs at their placement organisation from day one?

Different types of agencies. You are referring to employment agencies, which are completely different to recruitment agencies.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

22 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I am now officially back in the jobhunting market even though my current job - one which I would very much like to have converted to a permanent contract - only finishes at the end of December.  Thus I am a very reluctant jobhunter this time around.  I am really hoping that the organisational changes around the corner which will result in more jobs being created will provide me with the chance to convert to permanent.  I love this job and it's the best paid job I have ever had (bonus).  The only downside is that it is in Liverpool, a city I dislike with some enthusiasm and which involves the best part of 1.5 hours commute each way, Northern Rail allowing.

That is a helluva commute.  I became very fond of Liverpool, I hope you manage the same.

It is great to hear that you enjoy your work so much, what field is it (I understand you do not want to be too exact).

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

55 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

They can't charge YOU a fee but they can have a contractual relationship with the employer that says that if they take you on permanently then they get a "finder's fee".  The Conduct of Employment Agencies Act 2003 does regulate this to a maximum period of only a few weeks after you leave but If you ever "opt out" of that then they can hold your employer to ransom for a very long time.

That is just one of the many, many, many reasons why you should fight an agency hard if they ever ask you to sign an "opt out form".  There is no harm that will come to you from being caught within it but you are losing a lot of rights if you do "opt out"

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

5 hours ago, Saintslass said:

The only downside is that it is in Liverpool, a city I dislike with some enthusiasm and which involves the best part of 1.5 hours commute each way, Northern Rail allowing.

If you have to continue working there I think you should perceiver with Liverpool, it's a very good city if you give it a chance. It has a lot going for it; culturally it has 2 world class art galleries, numerous museums and some excellent theaters. Architecturally it is wonderful, boasting the largest number of listed buildings outside London. In recent years it has received a huge amount of investment (much of it from the EU) and the transformation has been huge, bringing many a derelict waste land back into use. I'm not saying that it still doesn't have it's problems but it's definitely heading in the right direction.

Also, if you know where to look you may find some past and/or present members of the Saints team enjoying a little R&R. :P

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

9 hours ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Out of the tens of agencies I have encountered, I trust two.

20%? That's a pretty high ratio in my experience. :dry:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If anyone's interested...

DIqCtq2W0AEtDKf.jpg

+

Ha ha ...tickled me this did.Currently working on foundations for a new power line between Tromso and Alta in northern Norway well within the Arctic Circle.Helicopter ride up to the peace and quiet of the mountain every morning..a one to two km hike to the job and picked up by helicopter at the end of the shift (if the weather permits).Total 24 darkness should be with us around November along with temperatures of around - 28C minimum. Helicopter ride will then be replaced by over an hours snow mobile drive and the possibility of spending the night on the mountain is a reality.Shift pattern of twelve  days on and nine days off. Set of home with a six hour car drive at midnight (after a 12 hour shift) and arrived home in Den Haag at 15:00 this afternoon. Harsh commute harsh conditions but after six years in Norway and nearly twenty years living  in the Netherlands I feel for all you guys still in the rat race of the UK.:imsohappy:

20953524_10155584763461322_9132327689157450530_n.jpg

21246223_10155605861766322_7866165782303163360_o.jpg

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 9:43 PM, yanto said:

+

Ha ha ...tickled me this did.Currently working on foundations for a new power line between Tromso and Alta in northern Norway well within the Arctic Circle.Helicopter ride up to the peace and quiet of the mountain every morning..a one to two km hike to the job and picked up by helicopter at the end of the shift (if the weather permits).Total 24 darkness should be with us around November along with temperatures of around - 28C minimum. Helicopter ride will then be replaced by over an hours snow mobile drive and the possibility of spending the night on the mountain is a reality.Shift pattern of twelve  days on and nine days off. Set of home with a six hour car drive at midnight (after a 12 hour shift) and arrived home in Den Haag at 15:00 this afternoon. Harsh commute harsh conditions but after six years in Norway and nearly twenty years living  in the Netherlands I feel for all you guys still in the rat race of the UK.:imsohappy:

20953524_10155584763461322_9132327689157450530_n.jpg

21246223_10155605861766322_7866165782303163360_o.jpg

Interesting hard , dangerous work ?

Not everyone is in the rat race in the UK , well im not .

Stay safe .

1 minute ago, henage said:

Interesting hard , dangerous work ?

Not everyone is in the rat race in the UK , well im not .

Stay safe .

Cheers.... Any construction work is dangerous but in the arctic mountains you need to be on extra alert. Rain is now bringing rocks down and in the winter we have to contend with the threat of avalanches and very extreme weather conditions. Twenty four hour darkness also brings its problems. Everyday is a different challenge

but great to have nine days quality time with the family every twelve days. 

On 8/23/2017 at 1:44 PM, Derwent said:

Different types of agencies. You are referring to employment agencies, which are completely different to recruitment agencies.

Employment Business - Recruitment Company pays the worker (temp or contractor) and charges a fee on top to the client as a mark up on salary.

Employment Agency - Client pays the worker.  You charge a fee for placing them as a % of annual salary.

These are the legal entities. Recruitment firms operate under the conditions of one or the other, in many cases both. 

• 3 months later...

So, after a couple of months of doing consultancy work for others, I'm now back to seriously looking for a job again.  Here's my experience today alone:

Rant 1: So-called friends.
I got a snotty email from a Chief Exec I know fairly well who had a grumble at me for not applying for a job we'd discussed in December.  The closing date was yesterday.  On checking, it appears the Chief Exec had told a friend of mine who worked for him to tell me as I was out of contact in Scotland.  That so-called friend "forgot" to tell me and "forgot" to tell HR to advertise the role, he happened to be the only applicant at closing.  Admittedly, he was a distant friend who I saw about once every couple of months or so, he's a good bit more of a distant friend now and is also up for a disciplinary review.  The role has been indefinitely put on hold and will probably get cut as "unfilled" after financial year end in April, I was told that it's probably best to forget about it.

Rant 2: Too senior.
I applied for one job this morning as a senior programme manager delivering some major things for a major company.  Rejected out of hand by the recruitment agent who actually gave me feedback (a serious rarity these days) that because I'd been out of actually delivering projects and programmes since 2014, and that my last role was on the senior management track, no-one would touch me as a project or programme manager.  He advised me to concentrate on senior management in today's tough employment market.

Rant 3: Too inexperienced.
I applied for another job on Monday as a senior manager on the exact same band as I was when I left the NHS and doing a role that I could have almost written for myself based on my skills and experience.  The informal feedback I got was that I was unlikely to even get an interview because I'd only been in the NHS for 3 years and I was too inexperienced.  Don't even get me started on the ethics of the "informal approach" that's not just suggested but actively encouraged for candidates at Band 8D-9 and above jobs...

Rant 4: Wrong industry.
I applied for yet job last week as a senior manager in charge of a global company's internal change service and received feedback today that although my CV was a perfect match, I didn't have the industry experience as the employer felt it essential that the applicants had at least 10 years of industry specific experience.  My comment that I had proven myself in everything from ultra-competitive global law firms to deliberately disorganised major telecoms firms to elephantine NHS ones apparently meant that I was unacceptably broad in my experience.

Rant 5: The final straw.
I saw a great job last thing last night, based quite locally to me, 15 minutes of commute on a worst-case day, slightly lower on the job ranking and certainly not paid the London wages I was used to.  I'm just off the phone calling to see what the recruitment agency thought of my application.  The recruitment agent is refusing to put forward my CV because she said (brutally bluntly) I'd leave the company as soon as I found a better job.  My comment that I'd worked about 3/4 of the last 18 years in London with a 2 to 2½ hour commute each way and REALLY would love a local job with fewer stresses and that the lower pay didn't bother me apparently also came across as "desperate" to take any job and that puts off employers.  "Sorry, we can't help" *click*

I think I'll give up for the day and play my guitar then some computer games.

Tomorrow, I'll look at my attitude to such things and see if it really is just me that's the problem there...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 minutes ago, ckn said:

Rant 5: The final straw.

I saw a great job last thing last night, based quite locally to me, 15 minutes of commute on a worst-case day, slightly lower on the job ranking and certainly not paid the London wages I was used to.  I'm just off the phone calling to see what the recruitment agency thought of my application.  The recruitment agent is refusing to put forward my CV because she said (brutally bluntly) I'd leave the company as soon as I found a better job.  My comment that I'd worked about 3/4 of the last 18 years in London with a 2 to 2½ hour commute each way and REALLY would love a local job with fewer stresses and that the lower pay didn't bother me apparently also came across as "desperate" to take any job and that puts off employers.  "Sorry, we can't help" *click*

If there's enough information in the advert for this one to figure out who the company maybe I'd have a look to see if there advertising it on the website, or send them a speculative CV just incase they may be looking for someone now or in the future.  Even if it doesn't work short term, you might get tapped up if the agency fails to deliver, or they deliver a candidate who legs it off to London for more money 5 minutes into the job................

Worked for my a couple of times when I couldn't get past an agent.

Archived