Job hunting

I start my new job on Monday. References have arrived, DBS cleared etc.

Genuinely really pleased yesterday afternoon to get an email from the person I will be managing asking for a few details for the next newsletter. Makes it all seem that bit more real.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I start my new job on Monday. References have arrived, DBS cleared etc.

Genuinely really pleased yesterday afternoon to get an email from the person I will be managing asking for a few details for the next newsletter. Makes it all seem that bit more real.

Excellent. So your future colleagues, noting your predilections for Women's handball, Radio 3 and photographing non-league football, will know to give you a swerve before you even set foot in the place.:tongue:

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Just Browny said:

Excellent. So your future colleagues, noting your predilections for Women's handball, Radio 3 and photographing non-league football, will know to give you a swerve before you even set foot in the place.:tongue:

I've told 'em to keep an eye out for the Buducnost-Gyori quarter final as that should be a good one, that Breakfast is worth listening to when Trelawny is presenting and that I need to know how to get to Tooting & Mitcham United from Crystal Palace. What's your point?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

As long as he hasn't done what one person did on the "getting to know you" section of our newsletter at one company I worked at.  I kept a copy for posterity's sake, here's a direct copy of it:

If you could have one superpower for the day, what would it be and why:

I would be invisible.  I would hang around in the ladies toilets to see what they get up to in there.

Needless to say, all future ones were moderated at senior management level rather than left to a junior administrator to collate and publish to over 1000 people.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I've told 'em to keep an eye out for the Buducnost-Gyori quarter final as that should be a good one, that Breakfast is worth listening to when Trelawny is presenting and that I need to know how to get to Tooting & Mitcham United from Crystal Palace. What's your point?

I have been asked by a friend to post this, thus not breaking the AOB embargo.

What sort of name is Petshop Trelawny for a grown-up?

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

What sort of name is Petshop Trelawny for a grown-up?

You see, now I can't unhear that as his name. So thank your friend for that.

On 20/03/2018 at 2:36 PM, Bleep1673 said:

Got a job interview tomorrow at Debenhams Restaurant in Hastings. Not looking forward to it, as I have just been on Trip Advisor, and it gets a really bad review. Ah well, lets see how quickly they kick me out when I try to improve the image.

See you tomorrow. 

Seemed to go OK, I didn't mention Trip Advisor. Or the state of the windows, as the Manager mentioned them to me that they were possibly being replaced in the Summer. Will find out next week whether I am still signing on, or not.

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

Seemed to go OK, I didn't mention Trip Advisor. Or the state of the windows, as the Manager mentioned them to me that they were possibly being replaced in the Summer. Will find out next week whether I am still signing on, or not.

Good luck with that!

Send a letter!  Today!  Short, sweet with these four paragraphs:

Dear (Name),

I very much enjoyed meeting you at the interview for (job) and would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to work with you.  (ONE SENTENCE on what your biggest experience point is and why it would benefit THEM given what you learned at the interview).

ONE paragraph no longer than three lines summarising what positive stuff you'd bring if they gave you the job, including transferable skills and why they matter.

ONE Paragraph no longer than three lines on how good your communications and interpersonal skills are and how they benefit the job and company.

Thank you for taking the time to meet with me. If you have any additional questions that would help you say yes to me then please feel free to contact me on (phone number). I look forward to hearing from you about this position.

Yours sincerely,

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

Good luck with that!

Send a letter!  Today!  Short, sweet with these four paragraphs:

Dear (Name),

I very much enjoyed meeting you at the interview for (job) and would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to work with you.  (ONE SENTENCE on what your biggest experience point is and why it would benefit THEM given what you learned at the interview).

ONE paragraph no longer than three lines summarising what positive stuff you'd bring if they gave you the job, including transferable skills and why they matter.

ONE Paragraph no longer than three lines on how good your communications and interpersonal skills are and how they benefit the job and company.

Thank you for taking the time to meet with me. If you have any additional questions that would help you say yes to me then please feel free to contact me on (phone number). I look forward to hearing from you about this position.

Yours sincerely,

Good Idea. Thanks

Well, yesterday I went for my third job interview in as many months and this morning I received my third rejection in as many months.

This is new territory for me.  While I am used to applying for jobs and the application going MIA, I am not used to going for interviews and getting rejections.  It's very demoralising.  I could ask for feedback but the way I'm feeling today I can't face being told why they think I'm sh**.

2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Well, yesterday I went for my third job interview in as many months and this morning I received my third rejection in as many months.

This is new territory for me.  While I am used to applying for jobs and the application going MIA, I am not used to going for interviews and getting rejections.  It's very demoralising.  I could ask for feedback but the way I'm feeling today I can't face being told why they think I'm sh**.

That is tough.

I have been on interview panels and often you leave really impressed by the candidate, but just do not think they are the right fit.  Sometimes someone has some arbitrary criterion that means everything to them.  I am sorry it does not help, but of all the candidates I have helped interview and rejected, I struggle to think of any who were sh**.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

You are NOT sh't! Never believe that about yourself.

You are a very strong person with firmly held beliefs which you defend very ably against a great many people who hold opposing views.

Do not put yourself down!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

3 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Having had to decided between several candidates all of whom could have done the job I often think feedback isn't always helpful. That said, I have had people comment on how I express points before now and that has been remarkably useful in terms of being able to present myself as well as possible.

20 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Try not to lose the faith, its a great time of year to be looking for work, I'm sure something will come up, you just need to keep plugging away with the same vim and vigor as you do with us on here and it can only be a matter of time before you land something.

7 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

If you get to interview then you've done something right.  One of the most useful tips I got from an interviewing course I was made to attend (how to be an interviewer rather than interviewee) was around positive feedback.  We were told to look for why we decided to interview the person and let them know that, that was invariably a positive item of feedback "we really liked x about you on your CV/application and brought you in but unfortunately the appointed candidate had better experience/skills".  That way the candidate knows what interests others about them at least and isn't the usual bland let-down they send out to make sure they're not sued.

Why not ask for that feedback?  What was good about your application that got you invited in?  Then think back about your interview and what you could have done with that information.

It's soul destroying getting rejected but there is always an employer out there for you.

1 minute ago, shrek said:

Try not to lose the faith, its a great time of year to be looking for work, I'm sure something will come up, you just need to keep plugging away with the same vim and vigor as you do with us on here and it can only be a matter of time before you land something.

This.  Public sector budgets get approved in most places at operational levels about this time of year and will be in place for the start of April, a very good time to be hunting for the newly released jobs.

If you don't ask what was good and bad about your interview you will have no idea what to repeat in future interviews and what to work on.

You may get a bland "sorry someone else just clicked better" which means nothing but at least it is better than guessing. I have know the silliest things to make a difference - someone said "I like to go out drinking with my mates" when asked about hobbies and was mislabelled a likely alcoholic by a manager who had had a alcoholic staff member in the past, another mentioned about having an elderly cat and worrying about it needing daily medication and so was passed over as she wouldn't be able to work late. Without feedback neither of those would likely have guessed the reason

On 3/2/2018 at 6:36 PM, Phil said:

As a agency user from both ends as it were I’d be interested in your take on this 

A few years ago now I was sent for an interview at a company in Silsden by an agency I was signed up with. It was a bit of a commute for me but I needed a job. 

Anyway the interview is going well, very well, in fact I’m smashing it until, 

“So what salary would you be looking for?”

”well for a position with these responsibilities I’d be looking for £X”

LONG silence from interviewers

”Oh we were really thinking in the region of £W”

”I”ll increase your cash flow by x%, I’ll decrease your bad debt by y% that alone will more than pay the difference between w and x. I’m worth it”

I didn’t get the job and the agency were massively displeased with me.

what do you think? 

I would say it totally depends on what you were told the salary range was pre interview - in a lot of companies if the pay is £x-y it does not matter if you could double their income as that range was set by someone else and it is outside the power of that manager to change it. In some cases where it is a larger company their maybe worldwide salary structures with rigid boundaries, in others it may just be a finance director has drawn a line in the sand. But making the interviewing manager look small by pointing out where his authority ends is never a good move so might be best to have started with "i was told the range was £x-y but as I can bring in a doubling of turnover what is the chance of moving that to £z or even a contractual obligation of a rise to that after probation if I have hit mutually agree targets - that would certainly allow you to gauge the likelihood of future pay rises as well

My company is recruiting apprentices.  Places across the country.  

https://www1.pds-group.co.uk/arqiva/

(there is a refer a friend scheme so I can earn money by recruiting someone... :tongue:)

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I always try to give feedback wherever possible after I've interviewed someone, however I don't force it if the unsuccessful candidate doesn't want to hear it. The way that I frame any feedback is to start with what they answered well, especially where they've used good examples to demonstrate a certain skillset. I then suggest where I think they either struggled (which people often know themselves), and offer suggestions on what I was looking for in an answer in order to offer guidance for future reference.

Another thing I'd always encourage is to call the recruiting manager before applying, to find out more about the role and the organisation. That way, you can often find out more about the skills the recruiter is looking for, thus helping prepare an application/for interview, along with it being a good opportunity to try to establish whether it is actually the right role for you.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, gazza77 said:

I always try to give feedback wherever possible after I've interviewed someone, however I don't force it if the unsuccessful candidate doesn't want to hear it. The way that I frame any feedback is to start with what they answered well, especially where they've used good examples to demonstrate a certain skillset. I then suggest where I think they either struggled (which people often know themselves), and offer suggestions on what I was looking for in an answer in order to offer guidance for future reference.

Another thing I'd always encourage is to call the recruiting manager before applying, to find out more about the role and the organisation. That way, you can often find out more about the skills the recruiter is looking for, thus helping prepare an application/for interview, along with it being a good opportunity to try to establish whether it is actually the right role for you.

That second paragraph is something that I was very surprised about when I joined the NHS, I've worked for a number of private companies where that sort of conduct would see you automatically disqualified for trying to influence the recruiter while it's encouraged, if not expected, in the NHS for jobs over a certain level.  I'd exercise caution with that for many companies, public sector it's an advantage, private sector it could be the reverse..

My second week in the job in the NHS, I had a candidate call me and I didn't expect it, she was really taken aback when I suggested I didn't want to talk prior to the interview, HR told me off for it when I asked.

For many NHS jobs Band 8D and above where you don't call ahead of time, you'd be as well not turning up for the interview.

And don't get me started on the NHS's seriously daft obsession with not asking performance related questions...

I had one candidate for an Account Manager position put in a formal complaint against me because I ran a scenario at the end of the interview where I had one of the interviewers play the part of an angry NHS senior exec to see how they'd handle being dropped into a typical tough situation.  Apparently he thought that was unfair pressure and not what he expected.

• 4 weeks later...

2 weeks ago, Esther McVee MP suggested that school children should get part-time jobs to prepare themselves for real work when they leave school. I wrote to her suggesting she shuts her mouth until those of us over-50 have full or part time work, as we have bills to pay, and are not living off the Bank of Mum & Dad. I got a reply this morning suggesting that there are plenty of jobs available for the over 50's who want to work. I have drafted a reply to ask her if that is why I have only had one Interview in 2.5 years.

Archived