Job hunting

Well done Saintslass! I'm sure the vast majority of posters on here are pleased for you, even the ones you've crossed swords with.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Saintslass said:

After seven months and six interviews, today I was offered a proper permanent fulltime job.  It wasn't my first choice - that is still pending - but it's a good enough job.  More to the point: it's a job.  Just awaiting references to be returned.  I have no idea whether my referees are on holiday or available.  Hopefully the latter.

Phew. 

I don't envy you the grind of interviews, it's an absolute killer. Well done on getting the job. And, presumably, good luck in getting the other job as well?!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 8/1/2018 at 2:42 PM, Saintslass said:

After seven months and six interviews, today I was offered a proper permanent fulltime job.  It wasn't my first choice - that is still pending - but it's a good enough job.  More to the point: it's a job.  Just awaiting references to be returned.  I have no idea whether my referees are on holiday or available.  Hopefully the latter.

Phew. 

Well done. I'm very happy for you

4 and a half months into my job search and I've never been so demoralised in my life.

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

29 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

4 and a half months into my job search and I've never been so demoralised in my life.

Really sorry to hear that. I’d make a fatuous catposter inspiration comment but I’m hopeless at them. Hope things pick up for you.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

I was getting that when I was looking until I essentially sucked up my pride, ignored the recruiters who were letting me down repeatedly and went through my contacts making it clear I was looking.  I went from feeling unemployable to having hope quite quickly. 

For those in work, when you see those LinkedIn messages from people hunting for work, why not just have a look and see if you'd be happy to recommend them or have a lead for them.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

It must seem like an endless dark tunnel. I hope something turns up soon.

In reality, I know nothing about job hunting as I've been very lucky in life. However, (you just knew there was a 'but' coming) sometimes it is worth taking a step back. Perhaps you could take a few days off the job hunt and then reassess your search strategy, go through your CV and try to read it from an employer's pov. Can you tweak it? Then go back to the search.

I'm sure there are others on here who can give you better advice. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Keep going KT.  It's tough to do that and it's hard to see light at the end of the tunnel but don't give up.  

15 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Finally got a straight answer, and an apology from OnTrak. They have now put me provisionally on a Gateline course w/c 27.08.18.  However, as we know, this is a bank holiday, so I'm not sure the course will run.

Will it run but on a Sunday Service?

I don't need a coat, its still really warm out.

I woke up at 3am on Monday morning with recurrent cold sweats and the shakes. Feeling really bad - possibly a touch too much sun, I don't know.

That morning, I attended a job interview that included an Excel test, analysing data. Despite my spinning head and wobbly physical constitution, I had a go, and they informed me that I was the only interviewee so far (with one to go) who had got all the answers right.

Now I'm left wondering if I'd have done better if I was fully compos mentis... or worse! ?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

May be visiting this thread a lot more at the back end of the year.

Suspect i'll be balancing getting a new job with looking internally and the prospect of a years wages redundancy cash - then trying to find someone to 'sponsor' me again.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Although I'm not looking for work, I keep my job advert emails coming in to keep an eye on the market, it's usually a very good sign of the state of the economy and my job target markets.  The job adverts I'm getting are becoming even more silly after I clicked on one to see if I could see any reason at all that I'd been "targeted" at a rather daft one.  Now the daft system thinks that because of that one click that I want jobs like this one that came out today:

image.png

Beauty Advisor?!  I don't think they want a late-40s, overweight beardy bloke but, well, you never know...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 8/7/2018 at 4:29 PM, Futtocks said:

I woke up at 3am on Monday morning with recurrent cold sweats and the shakes. Feeling really bad - possibly a touch too much sun, I don't know.

That morning, I attended a job interview that included an Excel test, analysing data. Despite my spinning head and wobbly physical constitution, I had a go, and they informed me that I was the only interviewee so far (with one to go) who had got all the answers right.

Now I'm left wondering if I'd have done better if I was fully compos mentis... or worse! ?

Well, there's a thing; they just offered me the job! And are going to be paying me more* than I've ever earned before.

It has been a long and tedious time on the employment scrap-heap, and I'm glad it is almost over. The job doesn't start 'til next month, so I'll carry on my charity work for the next three weeks.

But tonight, I will be drinking with both hands!

*not a fortune, but several thousand above the salary bracket where I've mostly been applying.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, ckn said:

Although I'm not looking for work, I keep my job advert emails coming in to keep an eye on the market, it's usually a very good sign of the state of the economy and my job target markets.  The job adverts I'm getting are becoming even more silly after I clicked on one to see if I could see any reason at all that I'd been "targeted" at a rather daft one.  Now the daft system thinks that because of that one click that I want jobs like this one that came out today:

image.png

Beauty Advisor?!  I don't think they want a late-40s, overweight beardy bloke but, well, you never know...

Any idea who'll they use for the "after" photo? ?

20 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Any idea who'll they use for the "after" photo? ?

Why don't you give them a call, John? You never know your luck (look)?

27 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Well, there's a thing; they just offered me the job! And are going to be paying me more* than I've ever earned before.

It has been a long and tedious time on the employment scrap-heap, and I'm glad it is almost over. The job doesn't start 'til next month, so I'll carry on my charity work for the next three weeks.

*not a fortune, but several thousand above the salary bracket where I've mostly been applying.

Great news. Well done and good luck to all the other posters who are seeking gainful employment.

1 minute ago, tonyXIII said:

Great news. Well done and good luck to all the other posters who are seeking gainful employment.

The other thing is, after many many applications for jobs where I felt I was capable of adapting, this is the one of the first jobs I've come across which is very close to what I used to do.

So it isn't just a job offer, or even a job offer that pays a very decent wage, but also the kind of job I really wanted and where I can apply my skills to their best effect.

I now have three weeks to pinch myself on a regular basis, just in case this is a dream. :wacko:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

52 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Good news! Well done!

Archived