Job hunting

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, Bleep1673 said:

And the Tories keep claiming there are more people in work than ever. Who writes that Bulls***? Donald Trump?

There probably are, on NLW, NMW, and less than 20 hours per week.

It is not the Conservative Party,  it is not the government, it is the ONS, adhering to EU rules on reporting employment and unemployment figures. These are basic facts, truths and denying them does not make them false.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Today I have been offered a new contract role after being out of the game since May last year. The strange thing about it, and I've never come across this before, is that they have offered me the job completely sight unseen. No face to face interview, not even a telephone interview, just from my CV and the recommendation of the recruitment agency. Has anyone come across this before (not that I'm complaining)?

Yeah, That was my OnTrak job earlier, by accepting you feel desperate, I was, they knew, then they treated me like si@it

23 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Today I have been offered a new contract role after being out of the game since May last year. The strange thing about it, and I've never come across this before, is that they have offered me the job completely sight unseen. No face to face interview, not even a telephone interview, just from my CV and the recommendation of the recruitment agency. Has anyone come across this before (not that I'm complaining)?

If its through a recruitment agency then that sounds fairly normal to me. It depends on the field somewhat too I'd imagine.

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It is not the Conservative Party,  it is not the government, it is the ONS, adhering to EU rules on reporting employment and unemployment figures. These are basic facts, truths and denying them does not make them false.

Office of National Statistics were set up in the immediate post-WW2 confusion, and as such have as much "Finger-on-Pulse", as my local MP. (Oh, Amber Rudd again, now Secretary of state for DWP, MP for Hastings & RYE, which has a disproportionately high level of unemployment), she lied to the Government, she Lied in Parliament, and she still, less than 12 months after being sacked as Home Secretary, ends up being back in the Cabinet again, and she still doesn't know where her constituency is. In the last 6 months according to local records, she has only turned up to her "Surgery" twice, and it is held in an Industrial estate, behind Asda. On a Vox Poll I did today, I asked 54 people if they knew where her surgery was, 38, said they didn't know, 20 of them were Conservative Voters. 

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

You must have the right handshake.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Office of National Statistics were set up in the immediate post-WW2 confusion, and as such have as much "Finger-on-Pulse", as my local MP. (Oh, Amber Rudd again, now Secretary of state for DWP, MP for Hastings & RYE, which has a disproportionately high level of unemployment), she lied to the Government, she Lied in Parliament, and she still, less than 12 months after being sacked as Home Secretary, ends up being back in the Cabinet again, and she still doesn't know where her constituency is. In the last 6 months according to local records, she has only turned up to her "Surgery" twice, and it is held in an Industrial estate, behind Asda. On a Vox Poll I did today, I asked 54 people if they knew where her surgery was, 38, said they didn't know, 20 of them were Conservative Voters. 

In your own words, "######"

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

I had it once, they were so desperate that they'd been let down at the last minute that they just wanted someone in who had a reputation of fixing things.  I knew no-one there but I'd come as recommended.  Be aware though that they may do as they did to me and go "right, we've screwed up, take this, fix it and then tell us how you did it". 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I suppose i should start looking this weekend.

Will likely start Monday.

I've had a few calls whilst im in Chennai, all about the same job at a Japanese Bank. Could be too junior a role so we shall see what happens there.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It turns out that I am good at interviews. I have been sent a contract and will hand my notice in before Christmas. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

30 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It turns out that I am good at interviews. I have been sent a contract and will hand my notice in before Christmas. 

Well done. Congratulations.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

15 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Well done. Congratulations.

Thank you. I went for four jobs, none of which I was fully qualified for, and got three. The forth gave me a phone call to ask me to apply again.

It did make me reflect on job interviewing, as a background in acting, press work, presentation etc made a very effective approach possible (my cousin took notes). To an extent, it is a shame that it is as important as it is. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

34 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Thank you. I went for four jobs, none of which I was fully qualified for, and got three. The forth gave me a phone call to ask me to apply again.

It did make me reflect on job interviewing, as a background in acting, press work, presentation etc made a very effective approach possible (my cousin took notes). To an extent, it is a shame that it is as important as it is. 

I’m good at job interviews. It means I get the job ahead of people who could do it better.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I’m good at job interviews. It means I get the job ahead of people who could do it better.

The forum people have known us for years. Any moment know lots of them will dismiss the idea that we are full of hot air and do not really know what we are talking about!!

Surely?

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Congratulations!  Brexit Secretary?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'm ###### at job interviews. The last one I did, I wouldn't have employed me! I was totally unprepared, believing that nearly 40 years' experience would allow me to wing it. No chance! Even a cursory internet search would have prepared me for the questions they asked - still wouldn't have got me the job, though! The one I felt really sorry for was the other candidate (yes, only two of us!), who was a young woman, fresh from college and desperate to find a job back in her home town. She didn't get it, either. They chose to readvertise. How bad can you get? We'd rather go through the time and expense of readvertising than give you the job!

Anyway, I'm sitting here at my computer, arsing about on a RL forum, sipping whisky, having just wrapped up for a fortnight's holiday after being told I actually have an extra day off - we don't restart until Tuesday 8th Jan - who won, me or the school? I still feel sorry for the young lass, though. Hope she found a job.

Thank god I don't have to involve myself in the rat race anymore, age and health disqualifying me. When I think of some of the stunt's I used to pull in the past in the present climes I would probably be up in court on every charge imaginable under employment law and a few others. When I worked in local government one of the lads I was manager of who I was friendly with, we used to go to motor racing events and such like, told me he asked his co worker what he would do if he came up on the lottery and he replied the first thing he would do was pay someone to give me a beating and break my legs, In a perverse way I was quite proud of that. When you're dealing with a load of hairy arsed tradesmen of the old school you had to make your mark or be trampled underfoot so I must have been doing ok.

9 hours ago, Bob8 said:

The forum people have known us for years. Any moment know lots of them will dismiss the idea that we are full of hot air and do not really know what we are talking about!!

Surely?

I think they are too overawed by our abilities to comment.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I think they are too overawed by our abilities to comment.

Or, perish the thought, we just can't work out where to begin with your shortcomings? ?

NB. I am only kidding. Merry Christmas!

1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

Or, perish the thought, we just can't work out where to begin with your shortcomings? ?

NB. I am only kidding. Merry Christmas!

It’s okay. I’m quite able to look you in the eye and tell you that my biggest weakness is my modesty.

I've almost given up on work, I'm 56, I'm struck off from a register that kept me occupied for 30 years, I have had two interviews in the last 5 years, I'm too old to be reoccupied because everyone is looking to the long game, 15 years until retirement is not long enough for most HR Secs, and once you have a 50+something dismissal on your CV, it tends to get binned straight away, those that aren't get DBS'ed then dismissed rather sharply, in favour of someone 35 years younger, who they can employ on less money per hour, Less hours per month, and on a weekly contract. Screw employers.

10 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I've almost given up on work, I'm 56, I'm struck off from a register that kept me occupied for 30 years, I have had two interviews in the last 5 years, I'm too old to be reoccupied because everyone is looking to the long game, 15 years until retirement is not long enough for most HR Secs, and once you have a 50+something dismissal on your CV, it tends to get binned straight away, those that aren't get DBS'ed then dismissed rather sharply, in favour of someone 35 years younger, who they can employ on less money per hour, Less hours per month, and on a weekly contract. Screw employers.

Don't put your age on your CV. I never do and legally no employer is allowed to ask for it (ageism).

I'm the same age as you, but then I'm still in possession of my youthful good looks. :D

Edit to add:

I do have the advantage of being a mature student who graduated in 2004, at the age of 40. And all my relevant work experience is after then, so judging from my CV they'd probably assume I was in my late 30s/early 40s.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Archived