Job hunting

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I left my job in April after 19 years and 25 years of continuous employment.

I thought I'd take a few months to decompose (sorry decompress) but that turned into 8 months as I thought I would wait till the new year and I had a 12 months non compete agreement anyway.

What a summer it was looking after my 5 Year old daughter and enjoying a lot of Super League and NRL!!

Now it's back to LinkedIn to see what I can stir up... having not applied for a job since 1994 it does feel a bit weird.

Good luck with the job hunt.

If you can, try and get some interview practice in, a friend applied for a head teacher role after 15 years as a deputy at the same school, those external members of the interview panel didn't think he interviewed well, despite a flawless two year stint as a highly regarded acting head.

No allowance was made of the fact his interview technique would be a tad rusty after 15 year stint without ever having to go through the process.

Just a thought.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, shrek said:

If you can, try and get some interview practice in, a friend applied for a head teacher role after 15 years as a deputy at the same school, those external members of the interview panel didn't think he interviewed well, despite a flawless two year stint as a highly regarded acting head.

No allowance was made of the fact his interview technique would be a tad rusty after 15 year stint without ever having to go through the process.

Just a thought.

Modern interviews are a thoroughly useless thing in gauging whether someone will be a good fit. We hired in a new business manager three months ago and her interview was with a few of us out at lunch where we barely discussed the role at all.  We needed someone who could work especially with me and the Chair of the region as we’re both a bit eccentric in our styles, we knew she had all the skills, all the talent and could pull out a long list of very impressive references. What we didn’t know was if she’d fit.  We spent two hours just bouncing ideas around and she was able to show us her on-the-job nouse and also get a hint of our working practices.  Once we decided she was the right fit, we discussed the role separately to negotiate working conditions, salary, etc from a position of two-way knowledge.  So far, it’s worked fantastically and she has fitted right in.

Try explaining how that’s more effective than a dry interview to many executive level folk though. Getting to know someone is infinitely better than listening to boring pre-planned answers straight out of a “here’s how to game interviews” book.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

31 minutes ago, shrek said:

Just a thought.

Thanks, appreciate it.

My biggest regret is that in my last role I had loads of chances to network... attend conferences and speak at events etc but I spurned them all to focus internally and on customers (well almost all, I did the 2 minute 'expert' gig on the business update on Simon Mayo's radio 2 drivetime show once for example).

If I had my time again I would have invested more in my own personal brand but I can't complain as I had a good run in a successful business and reaped some reward.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

Modern interviews are a thoroughly useless thing in gauging whether someone will be a good fit. We hired in a new business manager three months ago and her interview was with a few of us out at lunch where we barely discussed the role at all.  We needed someone who could work especially with me and the Chair of the region as we’re both a bit eccentric in our styles, we knew she had all the skills, all the talent and could pull out a long list of very impressive references. What we didn’t know was if she’d fit.  We spent two hours just bouncing ideas around and she was able to show us her on-the-job nouse and also get a hint of our working practices.  Once we decided she was the right fit, we discussed the role separately to negotiate working conditions, salary, etc from a position of two-way knowledge.  So far, it’s worked fantastically and she has fitted right in.

Try explaining how that’s more effective than a dry interview to many executive level folk though. Getting to know someone is infinitely better than listening to boring pre-planned answers straight out of a “here’s how to game interviews” book.

My thoughts exactly. When I interview I people I know the cv has got them to the table and if it was a technical role and needed I already had an expert practitioner grill them so the conversation focussed on who they were, how they worked and what motivated them.

The only annoying thing is you tell after 10 minutes and sometimes had to endure another 30 as you felt obliged.

I'm on the other side now ?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, ckn said:

I wouldn't disagree, but more often than not you've no idea what your walking into, worth being prepared and trying to get back in the groove.

I picked up some freelance work back end of last year, guy never met me, liked my work, said he liked the "tone" of my e-mails and that was enough to satisfy him.

Friends still in the IT world seem to have all sorts of war stories from interviews, seems a real mix bag of approaches out there, although thankfully these days you don't seem to hear to many people asking you prepare a presentation of if you were a car, what car would you be...............!!!

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

I can see why that would be the case and can certainly see the benefits. I suspect though in this day and age many organisations shy away from informal interviews like that so they can't be accused of asking possibly illegal or discriminatory interview questions or indeed accusations of bias.

54 minutes ago, ckn said:

Depending on the size of the short list,that could of been a few nice lunches.

All on expenses possibly. LOL.

8 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Depending on the size of the short list,that could of been a few nice lunches.

All on expenses possibly. LOL.

If you’re shortlisting more than three then you’re not sure of what you want. 

Plus the NHS doesn’t do expenses for things like lunch!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The place where I work has been hiring a fair bit recently. About 8 new permanent hirings in the last two months. They narrow it down to people who are capable of doing the job, but after that the main discussion I overhear is about personalities - who's going to fit in best.

It seems to work too. The new recruits are all getting along wonderfully with the old lags (3 whole months at the job) like me.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I thought I'd take a few months to decompose (sorry decompress) but that turned into 8 months as I thought I would wait till the new year and I had a 12 months non compete agreement anyway.

What a summer it was looking after my 5 Year old daughter and enjoying a lot of Super League and NRL!!

Now it's back to LinkedIn to see what I can stir up... having not applied for a job since 1994 it does feel a bit weird.

Good luck!

6 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I have nothing to do.

Absolutely nothing.

Been there, done that. I was contracting for a company that decided to move premises in the middle of my contract. They also decided that this was a good time to make all the permanent staff re-apply for their own jobs! That essentially meant all work ground to a hault for about 6 weeks while everyone gossiped and griped and worried about their futures and completely forgot about progressing any work. I just sat quietly in my corner spending far too much time on here, board to death. Talk about money for nothing.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

Good luck!

Thanks 

10 hours ago, ckn said:

I've had to do "formal" interviews before, but I think the rapport built in that time is better than if their answers were precise

On 1/2/2019 at 9:09 PM, Dunbar said:

I left my job in 2018 after 20-odd years with the same company and have enjoyed "decompressing" so much that I've decided to extend my originally planned "year off" to rather longer ?

10 hours ago, JonM said:

I left my job in 2018 after 20-odd years with the same company and have enjoyed "decompressing" so much that I've decided to extend my originally planned "year off" to rather longer ?

Good man. I have to say, I have been tempted to do that myself. I wouldn't ask a gentleman his age but I am 48 and it feels just a little too soon.... if it was 5 years from now I would pack it all in and kick back. Mrs Dunbar (who is a little younger than me) has just opened a business that is already doing quite well so she is happy and challenged while I would find many ways to fill my time.

When I do start a new job this year I only have one over-riding criteria... it will be something I enjoy with good people around.

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Good man. I have to say, I have been tempted to do that myself. I wouldn't ask a gentleman his age but I am 48 and it feels just a little too soon....

I'm also 48, probably helps that I had some very specific goals in mind to accomplish when I stopped paid work, so it feels like the start of something different rather than just having finished something. Also, youngest son is 18 and we'll have an empty house once A levels are done in June, so it would've been a time of changes anyway.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

I'm also 48, probably helps that I had some very specific goals in mind to accomplish when I stopped paid work, so it feels like the start of something different rather than just having finished something. Also, youngest son is 18 and we'll have an empty house once A levels are done in June, so it would've been a time of changes anyway.

Good luck. I hope you achieve your goals.

(unless they are evil like some kind of Bond villain of course in which case I hope you don't)

On 1/2/2019 at 11:22 PM, ckn said:

This is my mantra when going to chat to people. There is no point in going into the nuts and bolts of a position, if either party is incompatible.

Usually, it takes people aback, but once explained, most appreciate the candour.

2 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

This is my mantra when going to chat to people. There is no point in going into the nuts and bolts of a position, if either party is incompatible.

Usually, it takes people aback, but once explained, most appreciate the candour.

Almost every time I went for a job I really wanted, but didn't get, the potential employers were happy to give feedback on how I'd done. Often, they volunteered the information.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Good luck. I hope you achieve your goals.

(unless they are evil like some kind of Bond villain of course in which case I hope you don't)

After my henchmen have finished fitting out this underwater volcano base with shark tanks and we've established rugby union as a major sport, I'll move onto my secondary goals of getting this book completed and on sale on Amazon and running from Vatersay to the Butt of Lewis.

22 minutes ago, JonM said:

After my henchmen have finished fitting out this underwater volcano base with shark tanks and we've established rugby union as a major sport, I'll move onto my secondary goals of getting this book completed and on sale on Amazon and running from Vatersay to the Butt of Lewis.

Are you Elon Musk?  Fancy investing in rugby league?

Archived