Job hunting

4 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I have to do a 0600-1800 training/orientation day, but I need to source £10 for a taxi as the Industrial Estate is not Bus-able before 0600. I am trying to get the money out of the DWP, then I can start around 18th Sept.

I was talking to my Brother about my new job, and he reminded me, 18th September 1999 was his son's Birth Day, and the day I flew out to Australia for 2 months, for a GBRL Tour - Spooky.

It's been a strange week. In many ways.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bleep - if you need that tenner I’m happy to send it to you. Just message me your bank details and I’ll send it. 

On 29/08/2019 at 17:17, Bleep1673 said:

I have to do a 0600-1800 training/orientation day, but I need to source £10 for a taxi as the Industrial Estate is not Bus-able before 0600. I am trying to get the money out of the DWP, then I can start around 18th Sept.

Check if the agency will sub it out of first weeks wages or if they maybe run a minibus to the estate - nowt to lose from asking

Which industrial estate is this and, as others have said, if you need a tenner, I'll happily bung you one.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Which industrial estate is this and, as others have said, if you need a tenner, I'll happily bung you one.

Castleham Ind Est, behind Hollington Tesco. If only my step-daughter was still living just behind, I could've stayed there and walked to work. ?

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Castleham Ind Est, behind Hollington Tesco. If only my step-daughter was still living just behind, I could've stayed there and walked to work. ?

Right, I know where you are. If you need an emergency lift at any point drop me a PM.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think the test system is rubbish now if you are a math person answer this.

I am the first person to take the test once advertised and I fell all the question so what will be the results?

you have scored better then 0% of people who took this test?

now I got all the question and I am the first or second to take the test will it say 

you have scored better than the 1 % of the people who took this test? 

I am confused and I work with Civil Servant :)  

2 hours ago, lafleure355 said:

I think the test system is rubbish now if you are a math person answer this.

I am the first person to take the test once advertised and I fell all the question so what will be the results?

you have scored better then 0% of people who took this test?

now I got all the question and I am the first or second to take the test will it say 

you have scored better than the 1 % of the people who took this test? 

I am confused and I work with Civil Servant ? 

I'd assume they would get a number of people of varying abilities to try the test out first, so that when it goes "live", they have some comparison data to begin with. No idea if that actually happens, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Two video interviews completed in two days and confirmation today that I'm going in for a face to face in a couple of weeks.  Or I should say, face to face, face,face, face and face!  Its 2.5 hours and 5 interviews by 5 different people.  Should be fun!

It's going to be competency based apparently.  First thing to study is, what is a competency based interview... ?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

13 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Two video interviews completed in two days and confirmation today that I'm going in for a face to face in a couple of weeks.  Or I should say, face to face, face,face, face and face!  Its 2.5 hours and 5 interviews by 5 different people.  Should be fun!

It's going to be competency based apparently.  First thing to study is, what is a competency based interview... ?

Google him. Remember STAR

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Google him. Remember STAR

I’ve had a look at the LinkedIn of the 5 interviewers, one is of the same grade and job title as I’m going for, then the operations manager, then that persons boss, then the HR person and finally a video chat with one of the directors.

I can’t remember STAR, any hints?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

18 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

do you know the competencies they are testing at interview ?

57 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

do you know the competencies they are testing at interview ?

No, but from the job spec and the first 2 video interviews I have a decent idea.  I just need to have an armoury of examples where I have done X or Y.  I can then shoe horn them into any scenario.  ?

You lot don't know yer born!! You're lucky. This is how it was in my day!

The year: 1962

The place: West Gorton, Manchester

The job: a place on the Ferranti Computer Equipment Group  (later to become ICT then ICL and now Fujitsu)  Graduate Training Programme.

The salary: £2  6s  4d a week rising to £11 a week after 6 years.

Three days of interviews, aptitude tests, teamwork tests, etc  travelling o three different premises around Manchester (West Gorton, Moston, Hollinwood)

40 of us chosen out of several hundred applicants. Got the job as a salaried employee and immediately sent for 6 years full time education - Odd, since I was only 16 having just got my "o" levels, most others were between 18 and 21.

59 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You lot don't know yer born!! You're lucky. This is how it was in my day!

The year: 1962

The place: West Gorton, Manchester

The job: a place on the Ferranti Computer Equipment Group  (later to become ICT then ICL and now Fujitsu)  Graduate Training Programme.

The salary: £2  6s  4d a week rising to £11 a week after 6 years.

Three days of interviews, aptitude tests, teamwork tests, etc  travelling o three different premises around Manchester (West Gorton, Moston, Hollinwood)

40 of us chosen out of several hundred applicants. Got the job as a salaried employee and immediately sent for 6 years full time education - Odd, since I was only 16 having just got my "o" levels, most others were between 18 and 21.

All 3 interviews I've had so far have been different.  The 1st one was an hour long chat with 2 managers.  The 2nd was a hour long 3 person panel followed by a 1 hour written test.  The Last was 2 x 1 hour video interviews to be followed in a couple of weeks by 5 x 30 minute interviews with 5 different people, including one at director level.  

Some have been very technical (going to first basics) others less so and general.  

14 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

All 3 interviews I've had so far have been different.  The 1st one was an hour long chat with 2 managers.  The 2nd was a hour long 3 person panel followed by a 1 hour written test.  The Last was 2 x 1 hour video interviews to be followed in a couple of weeks by 5 x 30 minute interviews with 5 different people, including one at director level.  

Some have been very technical (going to first basics) others less so and general.  

One law firm I worked at had the receptionist come into the interviews right at the start for anyone over a certain level. The candidate then had to listen to the receptionist's first impressions. People who were snotty or rude tended were usually told the interview was over at that point.  It was stopped after an internal candidate was ripped apart by the receptionist for being a mysoginist who regularly commented on the receptionist's "flattering summer clothes, better than when you cover up your assets".

That many interviews suggests an insecure company with an inherent lack of trust between the different interviewers.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

One law firm I worked at had the receptionist come into the interviews right at the start for anyone over a certain level

I always ask the receptionist what they thought and use their answers in my assessment.

And because I know that happens, I am always very nice to the receptionists whenever I'm about to be interviewed.

Archived