Job hunting

I went to my local rail station (St. Leonards Warrior Square) and the pub opposite (The Crown) is undergoing a refurb (Under New Management), and I called in to see if they wanted any staff, I spoke to the Chef, and he is looking for a Kitchen Porter, had a chat with him, and he showed me around, and he took my number and seemed interested (I think they were as desperate as I am), so that looks interesting, hours 0900-1600 or 1600-2300, Tues-Fri and either Sat OR Sun.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I have an Umbrella? It never rains, but pours department. Got an email from another company saying we have deleted you email by accident, and want to offer you a post of *************, which I was doubtful, until I rang them, and they were genuine, and offered me an interview on Tuesday in Brighton. Plus my ex employers on the railway have sent me a request for a CV update, to see if they could renew my contract.

I have been offered a months work with the Post Office, mainly because the interviewer used to live in the same road as I did in St Leonards, the job was for a month in Eastbourne, but when he saw my ex-address, he gave me a job in Hastings for a month

23.11.2019-23.12.2019

On 18/10/2019 at 12:19, Bleep1673 said:

I have been offered a months work with the Post Office, mainly because the interviewer used to live in the same road as I did in St Leonards, the job was for a month in Eastbourne, but when he saw my ex-address, he gave me a job in Hastings for a month

23.11.2019-23.12.2019

Got a letter through this morning from the DBS, as I have a Police record that includes theft from 40 years ago, I doubt I will be offered that Sorting job.

23 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Got a letter through this morning from the DBS, as I have a Police record that includes theft from 40 years ago, I doubt I will be offered that Sorting job.

It depends. What are they checking? Basic check? Standard? Enhanced? You've a decent chance it'll be filtered out, even on the more robust checks.  If it's a basic check then it'll be long gone from your record as Rehabilitation of Offenders kicks in.

Give that Unlocked lot or NACRO a call/message if you're unsure. Some folk who've worked for me have gone through them quite successfully and gone on to have their history put behind them.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Give Nacro a call: https://www.nacro.org.uk/resettlement-advice-service/support-for-individuals/

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

There is also the 4x drink/driving (1987/1997/2012/2014)

If I reply to this will there be another thing to follow?

My memory of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act is that motoring offences unless they have led to prison terms come under a separate category. So, again, Nacro, rather than this board, is probably the better bet.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Have a look here

https://hub.unlock.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/ROA-Unlock-A5-8pp.pdf

The DD ones may become spent at the end of the disqualification - also they may be deemed irrelevant for a on foot delivery role. Generally bigger the organisation the more likely HR are on top of things and not making knee Jerk reactions

EDIT - here is a table of copied form the Nacro site

Table A: Rehabilitation periods for custodial sentences and community sentences

Sentence/disposal Rehabilitation period for adults (aged 18 and over when convicted) from end of sentence including licence period Rehabilitation period for young people (aged under 18 when convicted) from end of sentence including licence period
Community order or youth rehabilitation order+ Total length of order plus 1 year Total length of order plus 6 months
Prison sentence or detention in a young offender institution for 6 months or less Total length of sentence (including licence period) plus 2 years Total length of sentence (including licence period) plus 18 months
Prison sentence or detention in a young offender institution for over 6 months and up to and including 30 months (2½ years) Total length of sentence (including licence period) plus 4 years Total length of sentence (including licence period) plus 2 years
Prison sentence or detention in a young offender institution for over 30 months (2½ years) and up to 48 months (4 years) Total length of sentence (including licence period) plus 7 years Total length of sentence (including licence period) plus 3½ years
Imprisonment or detention in a young offender institution for over 48 months (4 years) or a public protection sentence Never spent Never spent

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Yes '97 D/D sentence was 2 months in the Scrubs - Dirty Laundry time.....

Probably spent then.

But either speak to nacro or speak to the HR at the place you're applying to. Or both. And now.

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Probably spent then.

But either speak to nacro or speak to the HR at the place you're applying to. Or both. And now.

I had a guy who was offered a role only for it to be withdrawn after DBS check (actually basic disclosure Scotland) - not because of the offence (criminal damage conviction for brake fluid on the bonnet of thieving ex landlord leading to a conditional discharge with tag) but because by not being up front with the details in their mind it had become a trust issue

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

I was told in no uncertain terms by Hastings Direct that they would never have anyone selling insurance to drivers who had got a D/D

Yes. But you're not applying to them now.

So, nacro/HR. Details above.

Motoring at end

Table B: Rehabilitation periods which do not have buffer periods so start from the date of conviction

Sentence/disposal Rehabilitation period for adults (aged 18 or over at the time of conviction or at the time the disposal is administered) Rehabilitation period for young people (aged under 18 at the time of conviction or at the time the disposal is administered)
Simple caution/youth caution++ Spent immediately Spent immediately
Conditional caution/ youth conditional caution 3 months or when caution ceases to have effect if earlier 3 months or when caution ceases to have effect if earlier
Absolute discharge Spent immediately Spent immediately
Bind over At the end of the order At the end of the order
Conditional discharge order At the end of the order At the end of the order
Fine+++ 1 year 6 months
Compensation order++++ When paid in full When paid in full
Attendance centre order At the end of the order At the end of the order
Care order When order ceases to have effect When order ceases to have effect
Confiscation order When order ceases to have effect When order ceases to have effect
Forfeiture order When order ceases to have effect When order ceases to have effect
Hospital order When order ceases to have effect When order ceases to have effect
Referral order At the end of the order At the end of the order
Relevant order+++++ When order ceases to have effect When order ceases to have effect
Reparation order Spent immediately Spent immediately
Disqualifications When order ceases to have effect When order ceases to have effect
Endorsements 5 years 2½ years

Just now, SSoutherner said:

Table B: Rehabilitation periods which do not have buffer periods so start from the date of conviction

Sentence/disposal Rehabilitation period for adults (aged 18 or over at the time of conviction or at the time the disposal is administered) Rehabilitation period for young people (aged under 18 at the time of conviction or at the time the disposal is administered)
Simple caution/youth caution++ Spent immediately Spent immediately
Conditional caution/ youth conditional caution 3 months or when caution ceases to have effect if earlier 3 months or when caution ceases to have effect if earlier
Absolute discharge Spent immediately Spent immediately
Bind over At the end of the order At the end of the order
Conditional discharge order At the end of the order At the end of the order
Fine+++ 1 year 6 months
Compensation order++++ When paid in full When paid in full
Attendance centre order At the end of the order At the end of the order
Care order When order ceases to have effect When order ceases to have effect
Confiscation order When order ceases to have effect When order ceases to have effect
Forfeiture order When order ceases to have effect When order ceases to have effect
Hospital order When order ceases to have effect When order ceases to have effect
Referral order At the end of the order At the end of the order
Relevant order+++++ When order ceases to have effect When order ceases to have effect
Reparation order Spent immediately Spent immediately
Disqualifications When order ceases to have effect When order ceases to have effect
Endorsements 5 years 2½ years

Looks ok-ish, still unconvinced. Got turned down for a Nurse Agency job, despite 3 of the above

5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Looks ok-ish, still unconvinced. Got turned down for a Nurse Agency job, despite 3 of the above

Nursing different

Anything to do with Drink/Drugs or vulnerable people inc children convictions are never spent and always have to be disclosed. So nursing, helper in a nursery/age grade rugby coach or licensee etc

Archived