Job hunting

I think I will do a verbal disclosure at my Interview tomorrow, if they ask, save them the bother. I did a verbal at R Mail i/view, and he didn't seem too bothered, I am just in such a paranoid state. I really need to get back into work.

Just now, SSoutherner said:

Nursing different

Anything to do with Drink/Drugs or vulnerable people inc children convictions are never spent and always have to be disclosed

Dunno about that. I got 3 permanent (as opposed to agency) NHS jobs between 1997 & 2012.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I think I will do a verbal disclosure at my Interview tomorrow, if they ask, save them the bother. I did a verbal at R Mail i/view, and he didn't seem too bothered, I am just in such a paranoid state. I really need to get back into work.

Dunno about that. I got 3 permanent (as opposed to agency) NHS jobs between 1997 & 2012.

Didnt say they stop you doing the job, just you have to tell them about the convictions. Whereas if a conviction is spent for any other role you DO NOT HAVE TO TELL THEM, the agency likely had a contract with the trusts saying they guaranteed to have referenced and checked all staff and there were of good character - that makes it hard for the agency to put you into a contract without a bunch of extra paperwork so others would get the nod over you

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Looks ok-ish, still unconvinced. Got turned down for a Nurse Agency job, despite 3 of the above

That's different though, nursing requires a full DBS Standard or Enhanced check (depending on specific jobs) that means the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply.  I posted last page a link to filtering, you should discount that now as it does not apply if you've more than one conviction.

In a nutshell, if it requires a full DBS disclosure of either Standard or Enhanced level then your whole record will be there for them to see. If it only requires a basic or Disclosure Scotland type check then your record is probably clean now.

As an example, you can get some pretty serious level security clearances with a meaty criminal record as long as you're honest with them and you can show no dishonesty.  Just find out what they're after from you and talk to NACRO or another offender charity.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

9 minutes ago, Shadow said:

As I recall before your personal issues you worked in operating theatres so presumably NHS checking was happy with your past misdemeanours then so should be now, or am I being amusingly naive?

It's not the NHS now though.

6 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I need not have worried. Confirmation of a Christmas Royal Mail Sorting job arrived this morning, start date 25.11.19 to (approx) 24.11.19

You're working minus hours? ? 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Does changing jobs fairly regular (not weeks or anything silly but a year or so) get viewed as a good thing by employers....or bad? ie staying power issues. I’ve been offered another job but have been in my current one less than a year (I quite like my job but new one might be better). Are you seen as unreliable by employers if so? 

It is less of a stigma these days, as long as your reasons for moving on are sound, not only according to you, but also according to your previous employers when they are asked.

In some lines of work, moving from company to company is a way of promotion if those companies aren't big enough to have regular internal promotion opportunities.

And the younger generations haven't grown up in the long-term one-job mentality that older folk have. Mind you, some employers are looking for a longer commitment in certain positions and won't appreciate it if you start looking around after only a year or two.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

And todays Interview went ok. I was quite pleased with some of the answers I regurgitated from previous interviews, I looked smart too, Suit trousers, White Shirt, Blue striped tie, and black wool Vee neck jumper. After my last interview (Where I had the full suit on), I looked at myself in the mirror, and realised because I have lost so much weight, the jacket looked like I had borrowed it from a mate 4 stone heavier

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Does changing jobs fairly regular (not weeks or anything silly but a year or so) get viewed as a good thing by employers....or bad? ie staying power issues. I’ve been offered another job but have been in my current one less than a year (I quite like my job but new one might be better). Are you seen as unreliable by employers if so? 

Depends on industry

Sales roles it makes the sales directors worry you talk a good talk but can't back it up so have to keep moving around project management roles they know people move when projects wind up so as long as you can show you have seen things to a natural end less stigma, 

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

In my game - the public sector - its pretty much always seen as bad. Looks flighty and non committal unless it's a promotion / major explainable role change 

I gather in the private sector tje opposite is true but not sure 

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

If I look at the Linkedin of my managers and directors, they all pretty much move around every 2-3 years or so.  Some internal and some to a new company.  Seems some companies see it as a good thing.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 31/10/2019 at 08:56, Bleep1673 said:

I need not have worried. Confirmation of a Christmas Royal Mail Sorting job arrived this morning, start date 25.11.19 to (approx) 24.11.19

Oh, ######. Just realised, not only do I have to sort out Christmas mail, we've got bloody postal votes to deal with now as well.

On 31/10/2019 at 17:56, Johnoco said:

In some professions, like I.T, its the norm these days and almost expected.

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/10/2019 at 08:56, Bleep1673 said:

Despite written confirmation, and a payroll number, when I turned up for work yesterday I was told it was a mistake, and I was never down to work at Hastings Delivery Office. When the manager contacted area office, there was no record of me on their system.

So I am back to being unemployed. I will be going to take "advice" from the local CAB.

20 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Despite written confirmation, and a payroll number, when I turned up for work yesterday I was told it was a mistake, and I was never down to work at Hastings Delivery Office. When the manager contacted area office, there was no record of me on their system.

So I am back to being unemployed. I will be going to take "advice" from the local CAB.

I'm sorry to hear that, that is absolutely terrible and awful behaviour from the Royal Mail.

Archived