Job hunting

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Got a Microsoft Teams Interview for a Phlebotomist at my local hospital on 16.12.20. When I worked in theatres I was always pretty good at venous & arterial cannulations, lets see if I can still do it.

Good luck!

51 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Got a Microsoft Teams Interview for a Phlebotomist at my local hospital on 16.12.20. When I worked in theatres I was always pretty good at venous & arterial cannulations, lets see if I can still do it.

Bon chance ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Sincerely, from a Salfordian to a Swinetowner, "Good luck, mate!"

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

4 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Good luck.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

• 1 month later...
On 29/08/2019 at 11:34, Bleep1673 said:

I have (provisionally) been offered a job, packing extruded Plastic Products on Nights. 6pm-6am, 4 nights per week, NMW, it's a start back.

That lasted until March 2020, when Lockdown v1.0 happened, then I had an interview as a Phlebotomist (Blood-sucker), in December, now I have just completed the online application to work with the ONS as a Census Officer, stab-proof vest obligatory around here, I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/01/2021 at 21:48, Bleep1673 said:

That lasted until March 2020, when Lockdown v1.0 happened, then I had an interview as a Phlebotomist (Blood-sucker), in December, now I have just completed the online application to work with the ONS as a Census Officer, stab-proof vest obligatory around here, I suppose.

Got turned down because I dont have a car.

On 18/11/2020 at 08:12, Damien said:

Some great tips there Futtocks.

This company is a big American company, not yet based here but is recruiting for when they open in a few months. Even if this job isn't suitable there is apparently a talent pool where other roles may be suitable instead.

Yes read a few times about not saying anything negative about my current situation. I'm just going to focus on the I.T aspect i.e want to do more cutting edge I.T than my current role, outgrown where I currently am, want to work in a dedicated I.T company etc. All the truth really. It would have to be a good offer to leave as I have decent pay, good flexibility and decent t&c's. It's purely a move from a career development point of view.

What is your skill set and where do you want to be Damien?

I have been in the IT skills sector for a long time and seen many of the new techs and venders 'hot' at one time or another. 

For example, these days, I am working a lot with Google on their new certification around Google Cloud Platform and how they are seeding the market with a lot of funded training.  Clearly AWS and Azure are slightly ahead of the game but Google are catching up fast and with their focus on Data and Machine Learning (as well as containerized Apps) I can see them really leading on the cloud innovation moving forward.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

What is your skill set and where do you want to be Damien?

I have been in the IT skills sector for a long time and seen many of the new techs and venders 'hot' at one time or another. 

For example, these days, I am working a lot with Google on their new certification around Google Cloud Platform and how they are seeding the market with a lot of funded training.  Clearly AWS and Azure are slightly ahead of the game but Google are catching up fast and with their focus on Data and Machine Learning (as well as containerized Apps) I can see them really leading on the cloud innovation moving forward.

I've worked in Cyber Security the last couple of years and from a jobs point of view want to stay in it as it is booming at the moment, at least where I am. Its enjoyable and varied too. I'm actually in the interview process for a couple of more roles since I posted that too. Saying that I worked on the infrastructure side for years and with servers in particular and enjoy that too but the pay and opportunities aren't the same. I've done some DEV and SQL stuff too but don't consider myself a natural coder.

Funnily enough I passed the Azure Fundamentals exam recently to build a bit of knowledge in that field and bolster my CV a bit when it came to opportunities as we are all on prem. The cloud stuff isn't really a giant leap when you have a server background and worked with VMWare etc. Its all a bit of a catch 22 moving fully into that area though, when you are coming from an on prem organisation, as you need the experience and cant build the experience. To do that at a lower level would certainly involve a pay cut. 

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

I've worked in Cyber Security the last couple of years and from a jobs point of view want to stay in it as it is booming at the moment, at least where I am. Its enjoyable and varied too. I'm actually in the interview process for a couple of more roles since I posted that too. Saying that I worked on the infrastructure side for years and with servers in particular and enjoy that too but the pay and opportunities aren't the same. I've done some DEV and SQL stuff too but don't consider myself a natural coder.

Funnily enough I passed the Azure Fundamentals exam recently to build a bit of knowledge in that field and bolster my CV a bit when it came to opportunities as we are all on prem. The cloud stuff isn't really a giant leap when you have a server background and worked with VMWare etc. Its all a bit of a catch 22 moving fully into that area though, when you are coming from an on prem organisation, as you need the experience and cant build the experience. To do that at a lower level would certainly involve a pay cut. 

Good stuff and good luck with the interviews.

As you say, Cyber is booming and it won't be going away anytime soon.

I used to be a techie, I was an MS guy and used to do the Windows/Exchange/ISA stuff.  Then I moved into the management side and was the Director of Training for the UK's biggest training company so I saw the VMware/Citrix virtualization stuff and then the move into the cloud (as well as DevOps and Agile coming to the fore).  But I had stopped doing the techie stuff by then and was just on the management end.

Funnily enough, I have just started going through the Google Cloud Fundamentals courses myself as I needed to get a bit more up to speed on how it works so I can use the right language in meetings but I won't be going any further than that as I am too old to learn new tricks now!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Good stuff and good luck with the interviews.

As you say, Cyber is booming and it won't be going away anytime soon.

I used to be a techie, I was an MS guy and used to do the Windows/Exchange/ISA stuff.  Then I moved into the management side and was the Director of Training for the UK's biggest training company so I saw the VMware/Citrix virtualization stuff and then the move into the cloud (as well as DevOps and Agile coming to the fore).  But I had stopped doing the techie stuff by then and was just on the management end.

Funnily enough, I have just started going through the Google Cloud Fundamentals courses myself as I needed to get a bit more up to speed on how it works so I can use the right language in meetings but I won't be going any further than that as I am too old to learn new tricks now!

Very good. Where I am I am now I am now at the stage where I am being pushed more and more down the management route too. A lot of planning, project, writing business cases stuff.  I used to love the hands on stuff but don't get much chance to do it now, again part of the reason for leaving as a lot of roles pay more outside, some way more, and still seem to be more technical. One more promotion and it certainly would be pure management. That's part of the reason for looking at new opportunities before that happens as it would be hard to see myself leaving then.

The good thing about I.T is that you never stop learning. When one area dries up 2 or 3 more come on the scene. DevOps looks good too but like I say I don't feel the most comfortable coder, I certainly wouldn't want to risk leaving for that field. I have worked with contractors getting £400+ a day doing that and could never see myself competing in that space. The cloud stuff is huge and I suppose ideally if I left it would be a cyber sec role at a place with a big cloud component. Best of both worlds then.

56 minutes ago, Damien said:

Very good. Where I am I am now I am now at the stage where I am being pushed more and more down the management route too. A lot of planning, project, writing business cases stuff.  I used to love the hands on stuff but don't get much chance to do it now, again part of the reason for leaving as a lot of roles pay more outside, some way more, and still seem to be more technical. One more promotion and it certainly would be pure management. That's part of the reason for looking at new opportunities before that happens as it would be hard to see myself leaving then.

The good thing about I.T is that you never stop learning. When one area dries up 2 or 3 more come on the scene. DevOps looks good too but like I say I don't feel the most comfortable coder, I certainly wouldn't want to risk leaving for that field. I have worked with contractors getting £400+ a day doing that and could never see myself competing in that space. The cloud stuff is huge and I suppose ideally if I left it would be a cyber sec role at a place with a big cloud component. Best of both worlds then.

Do you work in the public sector at the moment?

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

That obvious 😂. Hence why its the trade off between stability, flexibility and good working conditions v money and more cutting edge.

😁

It was the "part of the reason for leaving as a lot of roles pay more outside" sentence.  The only people I know who use the phrase 'outside' when describing their employment are in the public sector.  The only other logic option was being in prison!

Yes, there is a lot to be said for security and stability.  I wouldn't advise either way, but I will say that a Cyber Security pro will not struggle to get a gig. 

34 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

😁

It was the "part of the reason for leaving as a lot of roles pay more outside" sentence.  The only people I know who use the phrase 'outside' when describing their employment are in the public sector.  The only other logic option was being in prison!

Yes, there is a lot to be said for security and stability.  I wouldn't advise either way, but I will say that a Cyber Security pro will not struggle to get a gig. 

That's so true now you've said it!

Yeah I'm just seeing what happens and testing the water. I'm in no rush or great need but will certainly consider the right role if it comes along.

Lots of technical roles going here -

https://www.oneweb.world/careers

Most London based (sorry!), but some are remote working.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Not sure how I managed to post this in the Union players thread but...

One piece of advice that I will give anyone in the Cyber field is to get your DV clearance if you don't have it already. This reduces the candidate pool massively for some key jobs and in my experience DV cleared candidates have a licence to print money (ok small exaggeration).

I've been getting messed around in the last week. I got offered a job a week ago subject to a DBS check, no problem, done them before.

They ask me to fill some stuff in online and submit some documents, did as asked. A couple of days later got an email asking me to submit one of mg documents again. Filled in the info correctly as far as I could tell. Got another email today asking me the same thing and to upload a picture of the document. They hadn't asked me to do that last time so I click on the link and there is nowhere to upload the document. I've tried ringing them twice and I've left a voicemail to try to get someone to ring me back and explain what I'm supposed to do but no one has got back to me yet. 

I've decided now that I don't want the job enough to be messed around like this so I'm gonna leave it until tomorrow to see if someone gets back to me and if not I'm gonna send them an email saying something along the lines of, 'due to a change in personal circumstances I am going to have to decline the offer of a job'. I've submitted the info they wanted twice and only the third time did they ask for an upload of the document, they've got copies of 3 other documents, they've got plenty of info for a DBS to be done and I can't be doing with being f***ed about this much, I'm getting very stressed and it isn't good for my health so they can stuff their job! 

19 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Not sure how I managed to post this in the Union players thread but...

One piece of advice that I will give anyone in the Cyber field is to get your DV clearance if you don't have it already. This reduces the candidate pool massively for some key jobs and in my experience DV cleared candidates have a licence to print money (ok small exaggeration).

When I last had involvement with any form of clearance you needed a sponsor and a reason to get cleared, for example the company I worked for was a contractor to a number of Government security related organisations and any one that was requierd to work in (for example) areas of MoD Main or Northfleet had to be cleared but you couldn't just go and get cleared because you fancied it.

Edited to add:

This was around 12 years ago so things may have changed

4 minutes ago, Shadow said:

When I last had involvement with any form of clearance you needed a sponsor and a reason to get cleared, for example the company I worked for was a contractor to a number of Government security related organisations and any one that was requierd to work in (for example) areas of MoD Main or Northfleet had to be cleared but you couldn't just go and get cleared because you fancied it.

Edited to add:

This was around 12 years ago so things may have changed

No, I think you are right. I have been through the process as a manager sponsoring a DV candidate and being interviewed.

My point is that when you do get it, it is of real value to the individual... to the point where 6 or even 12 month notice terms were negotiated pre clearance with team members as they are very employable afterwards. 

22 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

No, I think you are right. I have been through the process as a manager sponsoring a DV candidate and being interviewed.

My point is that when you do get it, it is of real value to the individual... to the point where 6 or even 12 month notice terms were negotiated pre clearance with team members as they are very employable afterwards. 

Absolutely, if you can get it it's very useful. 
I seem to recall you could keep it current even if your role didn't require clearance, and it went with the individual not the organisation. 

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

I seem to recall you could keep it current even if your role didn't require clearance, and it went with the individual not the organisation. 

I seem to remember you needed a company to 'hold' the clearance.  So if you went to a company that didn't have that set up, you would lose it or it would lapse after a certain time.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 hours ago, Shadow said:

I was told it goes with both - you are vetted as an individual for a specific role/organisation

The advantage is it shows future employers it is worth the hassle of starting the process as it is likely to come through in the end

Archived