Job hunting

I was meaning that if you are going to say "it was a turning point in your life he was just doing his job. Discuss how you have changed things round. Say how you wrote him a sincere apology (do that and suck it up perhaps) and how you are working on yourself, thank him for all your learned from him....", it has to be a true statement.

I assume that by writing, " I am only sorry for not knocking him unconscious." you are just letting off steam and don't really mean it.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I didn't mention the Drink Driving conviction.

The Lamping of my manager is true though, I am not writing to apologise, because I am only sorry for not knocking him unconscious. I am not a violent man, but I was that afternoon.

Then you will have the consequences.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 3 weeks later...

I have applied for a job as a Health Care Assistant, at Brighton Hospital, My application was accepted on February 2nd, and I am still going through ludicrous, repetitive application and form filling.

If the NHS was so desperate because of Covid drop off they would get their finger out.

This is another example of why I believe the Pandemic of the Governments imagination to control us.

14 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

This is another example of why I believe the Pandemic of the Governments imagination to control us.

Make sure you mention that if you get to the interview stage.

employers respect clarity of thinking and want people that can see the reality of the situation

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

Make sure you mention that if you get to the interview stage.

employers respect clarity of thinking and want people that can see the reality of the situation

Not a chance, until I personally gain evidence. Bullocks.

5 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Looking into new roles, and have been offered interviews for a couple of contractor roles. I never thought I'd be okay with that lack of stability, but the money is awfully tempting. Take home would be 250% of my current role, and 175% of the best available elsewhere. 

Has anyone ever done similar? If so, any thoughts? My main concern is about work-life balance I think.

My idea of a hellbroth of constant anxiety, but that may be a generational thing.

If contract work pays you enough to put away a bit for when the work's thin on the ground, then that's a backstop. It could be something worth doing for a few years, and will give you lots of experience for your CV.

It may also, in itself, bring the offer of more settled employment if you impress your contractors.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I've just 'resigned' - official resignation to follow.

CV to the wife as i'll be a stay at home fat lad.

It's only a resignation if you threw a microphone down and stormed off past a bemused looking Susannah Reid.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It's only a resignation if you threw a microphone down and stormed off past a relieved looking Susannah Reid.

I've corrected your typo.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

It was in a taxi...

Either way, hope it's as positive situation as these things can be?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I have been offered a HCA job in Brighton, however they require references from my last two jobs, neither are working at the moment due to lockdown. I Got an e-mail from Brighton saying that if the guys don't respond soon, the offer will be withdrawn. 

I have tried ringing them direct to no avail. They are all at home watching Countdown.

Has anyone any experience of doing a presentation on a scenario via Teams for an interview? Its a new one for me but I've basically been given a couple of line of a scenario and have to do a 10 minute presentation of what I would do to 3 people. This is then followed by questions on what I have presented then some HR type questions. This is the 3rd and final stage of the interview process and I felt like the last interview went well.

The other complication is this is via Teams so am not really sure what this really means visual aids wise and if I'm meant to share some aids, such as PowerPoint, on my screen or not. A face to face interview and I presume I would have a flipchart of some sort to use. If its just me talking for 10 minutes that isn't exactly a presentation to me and seems a lot more difficult.

18 hours ago, Damien said:

Has anyone any experience of doing a presentation on a scenario via Teams for an interview? Its a new one for me but I've basically been given a couple of line of a scenario and have to do a 10 minute presentation of what I would do to 3 people. This is then followed by questions on what I have presented then some HR type questions. This is the 3rd and final stage of the interview process and I felt like the last interview went well.

The other complication is this is via Teams so am not really sure what this really means visual aids wise and if I'm meant to share some aids, such as PowerPoint, on my screen or not. A face to face interview and I presume I would have a flipchart of some sort to use. If its just me talking for 10 minutes that isn't exactly a presentation to me and seems a lot more difficult.

I would probably do a powerpoint and share that, whilst narrating?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 18/03/2021 at 20:09, Damien said:

I had to do various presentations through Teams as part of my MA last year. Its quite user friendly which is good, though I would try get a trial run in just to make sure you know what buttons to press.

As for presenting itself, standard fare as far as I have seen has been sharing a screen with power point - usual rules apply to not make it just a case of reading exactly what is on the screen. Its hard to make that interesting but if you can be sharing your face in the corner too that might help. If not, one of the positives is that with an online powerpoint presentation you can have a far more solid script written out.

2 months time i'll be giving up a fairly lucrative career (all relative of course) in banking / corporate treasury to look after the lad.

eeek.

I fancy consultancy work, prior to me actually understanding what this would entail, is there anything i need to be aware of?

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

3 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I fancy consultancy work, prior to me actually understanding what this would entail, is there anything i need to be aware of?

It depends on whether you are a Conservative MP's partner/best mate/neighbour/donor/blackmailer or not.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, MattSantos said:

2 months time i'll be giving up a fairly lucrative career (all relative of course) in banking / corporate treasury to look after the lad.

eeek.

If you’re going to be a consultant the question ought to be

is there anything you want me to be aware of and I’ll build it into the price

My presentation went staggeringly well. It all felt a bit odd though as I was expecting a hour based on the timeslot and what the recruiter had said. However it was literally just my presentation so with a bit of a delayed start and a couple of questions asked during it only lasted about 20 mins. Everyone seemed happy with it and no questions at the end like I had covered everything. One of the top managers that joined late when asked if she had anything to add just said no and that she was just happy listening to it as it was so comprehensive. All seemed a bit bizarre!

• 1 month later...

I see trees of green, red roses too! I see them bloom, for me and you! And I think to myself, what a wonderful world!! 

This morning I got a phone call offering me a job. This afternoon I filled out the paperwork. About an hour ago I got confirmation I am starting at 7am tomorrow morning! 

Its not been an easy 18 months. I am a man that actually punched the air and cheered when it was confirmed. 😁

Any Satellite RF ground station engineers looking for work, (shifts, London based) give me a shout.  Former Royal Sigs, RAF TCW, etc.

Also NOC, IP, core, WAN roles, again shift based in London.  

Give me a shout.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived