Sheffield Eagles

andyram

Think we should try promote the club better next season to get the gates up. 794 today wasn't too bad for Sheffield (50-70 fans tops??) but if we continue winning games next season like we are the last 10 I'd be dissapointed if we don't break 1k for games like that. 

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

One mystery for me, although I am easily confused, is Glover getting MoM.

I thought that Knowles looked really good, as if he had been playing in the team for years, and Potts had a decent game as well. One big plus for me this season has been the hard graft of Jode Sheriffe - I confess that I was very skeptical when we signed him but he does a solid hard-working job week in, week out.

I agree totally!! and admire your humility!!   ....  I know you have an interest in Toby A ... but he has been amazing these last few games and his efforts today both in attack and defence deserve recognition!!  I am sure as his sponsor you will have been proud of his efforts ..... Now is the time for public recognition!!  .... Plays way above his weight and one of a number that have really come on since NK ....  another season please Toby!!

A solid second half showing against a typically niggly Seagulls side. Walshaw was immense and my MOM, Gaz was instrumental in the middle once again -- would be nice if our centres could catch his quick balls more often ;)  , Speakman his usual consistent self, fantastic try by him too; Sheriffe looks better every game. Underwhelmed by Knowles, seemed to shy away from carries! 

7 hours ago, ram1999k said:

. Walshaw was immense and my MOM, Gaz was instrumental in the middle once again -- would be nice if our centres could catch his quick balls more often ;)  , Speakman his usual consistent self, fantastic try by him too; Sheriffe looks better every game. Underwhelmed by Knowles, seemed to shy away from carries! 

Agree with all this, including the bit about Knowles but can't agree on  the Walshaw MoM. If we have to put a 6 in the defensive centre position to bolster the tackling I'm not sure that centre should get the MoM. Yep, he had a good game going forward but if we hadn't had Sykes out that side when defending  I simply don't think we'd have won.  As I said in an earlier post; superb coaching.  

Sykes generally defends down that edge. I just think you noticed him more because of the tackles he made. It may be that NK briefed him to get more involved defensively, and that certainly had a huge impact on the game.

Walshaw was absolutely solid in defence too, I thought.

As for Knowles, we've had one post saying he looked like he'd been in the team for years, and another saying he was shying away from carries. Not sure what that tells you...!

Tom

1 hour ago, Tom Coates said:

Sykes generally defends down that edge. I just think you noticed him more because of the tackles he made. It may be that NK briefed him to get more involved defensively, and that certainly had a huge impact on the game.

Walshaw was absolutely solid in defence too, I thought.

As for Knowles, we've had one post saying he looked like he'd been in the team for years, and another saying he was shying away from carries. Not sure what that tells you...!

You might be right Tom. I was paying more attention to the  right side because it was so shocking at Swinton but I didn't notice Sykes defending between Walshaw and Brown at Swinton and he was constantly positioned there yesterday.   If he was I apologise but I haven't seen any highlights from that game. 

Everyone had a storming game yesterday, Knowles fitted in very well,we looked like a team..

One player for me didn't play very well at all and is now."our weak link" as tries we concede seem to somehow gravitate towards him.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions who it it. 

1 hour ago, hawk-eye said:

Everyone had a storming game

One player for me didn't play very well

Sorry Coolie but why waste your time posting?

Think I missed "apart from"

How's the new ground coming along?? ;)

Whilst we may have had a player who is considered to be slightly less effective in defence - watch how many times in each set this player does the work of the forwards by taking the ball into the tackle.

Also take into account that two of the three tries scored by Sheffield's left hand side three quarters looked to have at least one forward pass in their build up

51 minutes ago, Old 49er said:

Whilst we may have had a player who is considered to be slightly less effective in defence - watch how many times in each set this player does the work of the forwards by taking the ball into the tackle.

Also take into account that two of the three tries scored by Sheffield's left hand side three quarters looked to have at least one forward pass in their build up

He has a huge heart, a great work rate and runs the ball aggressively out of defence, but when it comes to stopping tries he's sadly lacking. Alex Brown ?  No Dale Morton. Personally I think  AB's defence is no worse, but I have yet to see his undoubted attacking potential. I believe AB is still carrying an injury, and has the disadvantage of playing outside a makeshift centre (Lucas, fine player as he is is not a centre). I think we are yet to see the best of Brown, and I for one, am prepared to give him a bit longer.

Dons tin hat.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

1 hour ago, Old 49er said:

And we did only have 12 men on the pitch for a quarter of the game. That does make defending out wide just that bit more difficult.

I must admit that I have never yet seen any forward passes in the build up to any of our own tries, ever.

:O

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

He has a huge heart, a great work rate and runs the ball aggressively out of defence, but when it comes to stopping tries he's sadly lacking. Alex Brown ?  No Dale Morton. Personally I think  AB's defence is no worse, but I have yet to see his undoubted attacking potential. I believe AB is still carrying an injury, and has the disadvantage of playing outside a makeshift centre (Lucas, fine player as he is is not a centre). I think we are yet to see the best of Brown, and I for one, am prepared to give him a bit longer.

Dons tin hat.

Hey no tin hat mate..that's your opinion and view 

I do think the individual in question is in the team because of low numbers,and when the magic  weaved by NK & PD a more suitable replacement will be found. 

Archived