Your club's greatest 1-17? Name them here

Going off who I have seen play mainly live though some of the Storm early players via TV and You Tube. But have Been to Melbourne, Sydney, Townsville, Halifax, Leeds to watch a few storm games. Storm have only used something like 190 players since 1999 but thats still a very good team. Fax is from the early 80s to the present day. Some players chosen its more Personal favourites rather than the best for me.

MELBOURNE STORM

1. Billy Slater 

2. Marika Korobete

3. Greg Inglis

4. Israel Folau

5. Suliasi Vunivalu

6. Scott Hill

7. Cooper Cronk

8. Jesse Bromwich 

9. Cam Smith

10. Robbie Kearns

11. Stephen Kearney

12. Ryan Hoffman

13. Tawera Nikau

------------------------------------

14. Michael Crocker

15. Brett Kimmorley 

16. Glenn Lazarus

17. Marcus Bai

FAX 

1. Joe Kilroy

2. Mark Preston

3. Greg Austin

4. John Schuster

5. John Bentley

6. Chris Anderson

7. Gavin Clinch

8. Martin Bella

9. Seamus Mccallion

10. Geoff Robinson

11. Neil James

12. Brian Juliff

13. John Pendlebury

-------------------------------------------------

14. Les Holliday

15. Tony Anderson

16. Graham Eadie

17. Keith Nellar

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Cas team based on players I have seen.

1. Graham Stead an

2. Ian St John Ellis

3. Richie Blackmore

4. Michael Shenton

5. Justin Carney

6. John 'Walks on Water' Joyner

7. Bob Beardsmore

8. Kevin Ward

9. Kevin Beardsmore

10. Lee Crooks

11. Ronnie 'Rambo' Gibbs

12. Bob Lindner

13. Mal Reilly

I would back that pack against any pack that has ever played

subs

So confident in the team that I just have 3 subs and all world class loose forwards - Tawera Nickau, Steve Norton, Adrian Vowles

8 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

It is all in the eyes of the beholder your right there.

Just on George Piggins as much as I respect the man he was primarily a back up hooker spending much of his time in reserve grade with Elwyn Walters being the starting hooker at Souths and for Australia at that time.

Phil Blake was one of the most gifted RL players I've ever seen and playing behind a brutal pack like this one he'd be unstoppable.

Ben Te'o is class and a true RL enforcer (disgrace he isn't still in our game). Of course It's all just fantasy but you could have a halves pairing of Sterling & A. Johns but up against a pack like that but it would be to no avail because they'd be never be in the game, Forwards win matches.

Cheers.

Forwards do win matches in many cases although Parramatta won four Grand Finals with only a "reasonable" set of Forwards.

If your Forwards can hold their own Halfbacks often decide most games.

How many times have we heard that England have a better set of Forwards than Australia or New Zealand in the last 30 years?

It hasn't helped them win many games that count because they do not produce top shelf Halves in any sort of numbers or consistancy

Cheers Rabbits.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Swinton 1994-present (none of these players make an all-time team)

FB: Ritchie Hawkyard

W: Simon Ashcroft
C: Mick Nanyn
C: Gavin Price-Jones
W: Marlon Billy

SH: Ian Watson
SO: Chris Atkin

P: Mike Morrison
H: Andy Ackers
P: Lee Hansen

SR: Paul Smith
SR: Andy Coley

LF: Lee Marsh

Decent team that and I think it could compete at the top end of the Championship. Plenty of power and some speed in the backs.

52 minutes ago, Colin James said:

Swinton 1994-present (none of these players make an all-time team)

FB: Ritchie Hawkyard

W: Simon Ashcroft
C: Mick Nanyn
C: Gavin Price-Jones
W: Marlon Billy

SH: Ian Watson
SO: Chris Atkin

P: Mike Morrison
H: Andy Ackers
P: Lee Hansen

SR: Paul Smith
SR: Andy Coley

LF: Lee Marsh

Decent team that and I think it could compete at the top end of the Championship. Plenty of power and some speed in the backs.

If you had to choose an all time team for Swinton would it be centred around the great 60's teams?

We could go back to the 1920s when Swinton won "all four cups" in the 1927-28 season but I doubt anyone in here is old enough to remember that team. In the 1960s the club won back-to-back championships so as you say, that team would dominate an all-time 13 but I will stick to players I saw play.

5 hours ago, Allora said:

Forwards do win matches in many cases although Parramatta won four Grand Finals with only a "reasonable" set of Forwards.

If your Forwards can hold their own Halfbacks often decide most games.

How many times have we heard that England have a better set of Forwards than Australia or New Zealand in the last 30 years?

It hasn't helped them win many games that count because they do not produce top shelf Halves in any sort of numbers or consistancy

Cheers Rabbits.

Not really the same thing comparing a team like England with a loosing culture (No offence intended) to the winners I'm talking about & they where winners all of them. Anyway all good and we'll obviously never know.

16 hours ago, clwydianrange said:

No Jimmy Thompson or Vince Farrar?

Great players, but didn't play for Fev during the time I've supported them.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

16 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Reading threads like this just reminds you how special a player Ellery Hanley was.  Not many players would make the best 17 of so many fans in two teams never mind three (Bradford, Wigan and Leeds) and I bet he would make the best 17 from a lot of Balmain and Wests fans as well.

What a legend.

Not only that but conceivably could be picked in 3 different positions too

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Oldham. Now I'm not saying these are the best players. They are the ones that stand out. They are players that I've seen, so none of the older greats are included.

1 Paul Aitchison.

2 Charlie McAlister 

3Des Foy

4.4 Hussain M'Barky  

5 John Henderson

6 Paddy Kirwan

7Ray Ashton

8 hugh Waddell

9 Alan McCurry

10 Bob Lindner

11paul Round

12 terry Flanagan 

13 Andy good way. 

14 mick Burke

15 john cogger

16 Mike ford

17 mick Worrall. 

Dewsbury team going back 25 years or so.

Darren Coen

eddie rombo

darren rodgers

brendan williams

dennis bailey

chris vasey

mark conway

Gary cocks

neil kelly AKA god

darren fleary

shane Williams (should have been an international with his skill

glenn bell

les holliday

Subs

paul Delaney

kevin carruthers

brendan o meara

andy dickinson 

7 hours ago, Colin James said:

We could go back to the 1920s when Swinton won "all four cups" in the 1927-28 season but I doubt anyone in here is old enough to remember that team. In the 1960s the club won back-to-back championships so as you say, that team would dominate an all-time 13 but I will stick to players I saw play.

I remember seeing

Ken Gowers

John Speed

Bobby Fleet

Bob Fleay

Les Holliday

Alan Buckley

struggling to name the others!

8 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Not really the same thing comparing a team like England with a loosing culture (No offence intended)

None taken.

I was certainly pretty loose before I met my wife and settled down.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'll have a go at Huddersfield, although like others I will only include players I've seen,so no place for the true greats!

1. Wally Gibson

2. Jermaine McGillvary

3. Leroy Cudjoe

4. Brandon Costin

5. Ian Thomas

6. Dean Hanger

7. Danny Brough

8. Eorl Crabtree

9. Brad Drew

10. Arnie Lomax

11. Basil Richards

12. Chris Nero

13. Stanley Gene

Bench:

Luke Robinson

Gary Senior

Stephen Wild

Adrian Toole

2 minutes ago, Jailhouse said:

Good grief! That's strong!

Agreed. Best team named on this thread I think.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Carlisle

1 Willie Richardson

2 Mark Doyle

3 Kevin Pape

4 Dean Bell

5 Joe Bardgett

6 Tane Manihera

7 Clayton Friend

8 Colin Buck Armstrong

9 Danny Russell

10 George Graham

11 Hitro Okesene

12 Simon Knox

13 Barry Williams

14 Steve Georgallis 

15 Richard Henare

16 Malcolm Thomason 

17 Stewart Rhodes

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Saints best I've seen. 

1. Wellens

2. Albert / Ledger

3. Lyons / Newlove

4. Meninga 

5. Sullivan

6. Martyn

7. Long

8. Ward 

9. Cunningham 

10. Platt / Fairleigh

11. Joynt 

12. Sculthorpe

13. Pinner

5 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Saints best I've seen. 

1. Wellens

2. Albert / Ledger

3. Lyons / Newlove

4. Meninga 

5. Sullivan

6. Martyn

7. Long

8. Ward 

9. Cunningham 

10. Platt / Fairleigh

11. Joynt 

12. Sculthorpe

13. Pinner

This is pretty much spot on what I was thinking. Would have Precky and Ledger on bench along with Andy Platt and James Roby

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

24 minutes ago, nec said:

Carlisle

1 Willie Richardson

2 Mark Doyle

3 Kevin Pape

4 Dean Bell

5 Joe Bardgett

6 Tane Manihera

7 Clayton Friend

8 Colin Buck Armstrong

9 Danny Russell

10 George Graham

11 Hitro Okesene

12 Simon Knox

13 Barry Williams

14 Steve Georgallis 

15 Richard Henare

16 Malcolm Thomason 

17 Stewart Rhodes

Apologies to my favourite halfback combo of Steve Langton and Dean Carroll. Also to Garry Peacham. Others I have omitted include Gary Charlton, most of the 81-83 players as I just don't remember them well enough, Steve Brierley (trailblazer for local talent), Yanto, Garry Murdoch, Matt Lynch et al

Really struggling with a fax team and could easily just cop out and pick either the 1998 or 2010 teams. 

Been watching since the early 90's so will go with:

1. Mike Umaga

2. John Bentley

3. John Schuster

4. Greg Florimo 

5. Mark Preston

6. Michael Hagan 

7. Gavin Clinch

8. Karl Harrison

9. Paul Rowley

10. Brett Goldspink

11. Des Clarke

12. Michael Jackson

13. Martin Moana

Nit sure about the bench but would probably go with Jamie Bloem, Kelvin Skerret, Graham Holroyd & possibly John Fieldhouse.

On 17/07/2017 at 8:50 PM, latchford albion said:

Apart from Brian Bevan, I've seen all this team play for the wire.  I've left out - from players who would walk into any team - Andrew Johns and Bob Fulton (not enough games) and Alex Murphy and Alfie Langer (past their best when at the club)

1. FB: Jonathan Davies, 2.WG: Brian Bevan, 3.CE: Martin Gleeson, 4.CE: Alan Bateman, 5.WG John Bevan, 6.SO, Lee Briers, 7.SH, Parry Gordon, 8. PR, Les Boyd, 9. HK, Kevin Ashcroft, 10. PR Kevin Tamati, 11. SR Ben Currie, 12.SR Mike Nicholas, 13. LF, Mike Gregory (c), 14. UB, Stefan Ratchford, 15. HK, Michael Monaghan, 16. PR, Adrian Morley, 17. PR, Chris Hill

Ben Currie *will* be in there in time. But how can you forget the SR try-scoring machine, Bob Eccles? And Steve Hesford for his kicking? Steve Roach? Thackeray? Harry Bath?

North Queensland

1 Matt Bowen
2 Matt Sing
3 Brent Tate
4 Paul Bowman
5 Antonio Winterstein
6 Michael Morgan
7 Jonathan Thurston
8 Matt Scott
9 Aaron Payne
10 Paul Rauhihi
11 Gavin Cooper
12 Jason Taumalolo
13 Dallas Johnson
14 Jake Granville
15 Luke O'Donnell
16 John Buttigeig
17 Kane Linnett

Probably missed a few who deserve to be there, 8 of 17 from the premiership team of 2015 which is fair enough i believe.

Archived