Your club's greatest 1-17? Name them here

10 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I would have Trent Barrett at 6 where He played most games at and Ben Hornby at 7. Mundine never impressed me Whenever I saw him(or seemingly the rep selectors at NSW or Australia). Was all about him and not the team. 

Disagree , and I'm going Darryl Powell style and what I want to watch ! Hornby great clubman , leader and solid as a rock , but Mundine was xfactor for that spell. 56 tries in not much over 100 games , loads more assists . Him doing his thing benefited the team . Played in a drawn origin series ( badly done to otherwise )and scored a blinding hat trick to get the dragons to a GF . And the link with blacklock and all those post try gymnastics between them to boot ! 

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, DavidM said:

You're halves will cause plenty of problems and be fun to watch together 

I really enjoyed putting that team together and was pleasantly surprised at how strong the final line up was

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Ok. I am going to put my flak jacket on and rank the top teams posted so far!

1. The Brisbane team posted by B rad

2. The Parramatta team posted by Allora. 

3. The Melbourne team posted by Lounge Room Lizard

4. The Wigan team posted by Dunbar (completely objectively of course!)

5. The South's team posted by RabbitRhinoovOZ

6. The Canberra team posted by B rad

7. The St Helens team posted by bobbruce

8. The Widnes team posted by Cookiepuss

Let me qualify this by the statment that I have been watching League since the mid 80's so apologies it is missing some of the great historic teams/players and it is biased to the Aussies as they have dominent in my lifetime.

Let's have a good natured argument!

Based on what exactly?

Grand finals won per player?

Rep appearances?

RL Immortals?

Or just who you seen growing up in the 1990's?

All I'm getting at is you should really do your research first if you don't know the players your casting judgment on, I'd never make comment on legends like Dally M Messenger because I never seen him play!

3 hours ago, Allora said:

Pretty good call in my opinion.

Always a tough call when including players from 50-70 years or more ago as many of those players would not rate as high in the modern game with size, physicality and stamina.

Brisbane had a top team with many Test players as they were in a privileged position in the game in Australia back in those days, it was part of the reason that led to the Super League Wars.

"Always a tough call when including players from 50-70 years or more ago as many of those players would not rate as high in the modern game with size, physicality and stamina"

Absolute 100% total rubbish! If those same players from 50-70 years ago had access to the same sports science , diet , training etc as todays robots they would very likely be far superior. On the flip side players like Hayne, Hindmarsh & Cayless would have been to scared to play the game 50-70 years ago & that's a fact. 

9 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

"Always a tough call when including players from 50-70 years or more ago as many of those players would not rate as high in the modern game with size, physicality and stamina"

Absolute 100% total rubbish! If those same players from 50-70 years ago had access to the same sports science , diet , training etc as todays robots they would very likely be far superior. On the flip side players like Hayne, Hindmarsh & Cayless would have been to scared to play the game 50-70 years ago at that's a fact. 

Back in the day many players were working as cellar men in a Pub or brickies labourers.

Why would todays players like Hindmarsh be scared to play back then? because of Thugs trying to maim them?

They were hard men in the community but hardly top class athletes that went through a stringent selection process that had the best of the best rise to the top.

You can believe what you wish Rabbits but nothing you will say can convince me that the criteria to be the best in the game was the same 70 years ago as it is today.

I am not going to say anymore as it will turn into a slanging match that will see you get upset and see you go back into your Burrow again with the Shitx

Allora.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

16 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Based on what exactly?

Grand finals won per player?

Rep appearances?

RL Immortals?

Or just who you seen growing up in the 1990's?

All I'm getting at is you should really do your research first if you don't know the players your casting judgment on, I'd never make comment on guys legends like Dally M Messenger because I never seen him play!

Based on my judgement.  And before you ask - no I am no better placed to make this judgement than anybody else on this board but I though this thread was fun so I had a crack... if you have a different opinion then absolutely fantastic.

I thought I made it clear that I wasn't in a position to rate the greats of the past so I kept my focus on the teams that were majority 80/90's and onwards (this is the reason why I didn't have Billy Boston in my Wigan team who would absolutely be in an all time Wigan 17 of course).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

On the flip side players like Hayne, Hindmarsh & Cayless would have been to scared to play the game 50-70 years ago at that's a fact. 

I try to keep my posts on this board as positive as possible but I have to make an exception here.

To say a professional Rugby League player would be scared to play the game is a completely ridiculous thing to suggest (never mind claiming it to be a fact).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

Back in the day many players were working as cellar men in a Pub or brickies labourers.

Why would todays players like Hindmarsh be scared to play back then? because of Thugs trying to maim them?

They were hard men in the community but hardly top class athletes that went through a stringent selection process that had the best of the best rise to the top.

You can believe what you wish Rabbits but nothing you will say can convince me that the criteria to be the best in the game was the same 70 years ago as it is today.

I am not going to say anymore as it will turn into a slanging match that will see you get upset and see you go back into your Burrow again with the Shitx

Allora.

I commented on Hindmarsh in particular because I'm well placed to do so ;). Soft as butter that one.

Just now, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

I commented on Hindmarsh in particular because I'm well placed to do so ;). Soft as butter that one.

I never felt that way about him.

He played plenty of games at Club and Representative level without showing the traits you suggest, he must be a good actor.

Dally M Second Rower Of The Year
2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006
RLW Player of the Year
2004, 2005
Provan Summons Medal
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011
Ken Stephen Memorial Award

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/nathan-hindmarsh/summary.html

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Based on my judgement.  And before you ask - no I am no better placed to make this judgement than anybody else on this board but I though this thread was fun so I had a crack... if you have a different opinion then absolutely fantastic.

I thought I made it clear that I wasn't in a position to rate the greats of the past so I kept my focus on the teams that were majority 80/90's and onwards (this is the reason why I didn't have Billy Boston in my Wigan team who would absolutely be in an all time Wigan 17 of course).

That's ok Dunbar , I was going to rate the sides myself but decided not to as I hadn't seen them all go round & thought better of it. If I had though the successful clubs like Souths, Wigan & Brisbane would have topped the list.

Just now, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

That's ok Dunbar , I was going to rate the sides myself but decided not to as I hadn't seen them all go round & thought better of it. If I had though the successful clubs like Souths, Wigan & Brisbane would have topped the list.

Souths golden era was a lifetime ago.

You must be older than I thought.

Their golden era ended over 45 years ago, they jagged one premiership in 2014 and went quickly downhill since then.

You must be well over 60-70 to have seen any of there heyday..

3 hours ago, nec said:

I really enjoyed putting that team together and was pleasantly surprised at how strong the final line up was

It surprised me to be reminded of how many good players played for Carlisle, one that I think was missing though was Mick Morgan

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

3 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Nah, he's got Cumbrian ancestry, tough as old boots.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

4 hours ago, nec said:

My only criticism in your selection would be the choice of Doyley on the wing ahead of Richard Henare, who was a sensational talent when he first came over from NZ as a youngster.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

16 minutes ago, Derwent said:

My only criticism in your selection would be the choice of Doyley on the wing ahead of Richard Henare, who was a sensational talent when he first came over from NZ as a youngster.

He was quick , which came in handy for him

On 17/07/2017 at 8:50 PM, latchford albion said:

Apart from Brian Bevan, I've seen all this team play for the wire.  I've left out - from players who would walk into any team - Andrew Johns and Bob Fulton (not enough games) and Alex Murphy and Alfie Langer (past their best when at the club)

1. FB: Jonathan Davies, 2.WG: Brian Bevan, 3.CE: Martin Gleeson, 4.CE: Alan Bateman, 5.WG John Bevan, 6.SO, Lee Briers, 7.SH, Parry Gordon, 8. PR, Les Boyd, 9. HK, Kevin Ashcroft, 10. PR Kevin Tamati, 11. SR Ben Currie, 12.SR Mike Nicholas, 13. LF, Mike Gregory (c), 14. UB, Stefan Ratchford, 15. HK, Michael Monaghan, 16. PR, Adrian Morley, 17. PR, Chris Hill

I was reading about Jack Fish and the record shows he would be in the best also Harry Bath, although we are guided by what we see we should not forget history. 

9 hours ago, Allora said:

Souths golden era was a lifetime ago.

You must be older than I thought.

Their golden era ended over 45 years ago, they jagged one premiership in 2014 and went quickly downhill since then.

You must be well over 60-70 to have seen any of there heyday..

Nice trolling there troll, Insulting me in amongst trying to degrade my team.

Hindy & The Hayne Pain haha must have been light on in those positions. 

Had a bash at Yorkshire too, but struggled a bit with fullbacks. Oh, and having about 5 world class locks.

Moved Robinson to full back in the end to accommodate Hanley on the wing, it being a personal rule of mine that Hanley should be named in any team he's eligible for.

Robinson

Hanley

Wagstaff

Fox (k)

Sullivan

Millward

Parkin (c)

Ward

Stephenson

Hartley

Huddart

Turner

Gallagher

Lowe

Reilly

Lockwood

Jackson

20 minutes ago, Tom Moore said:

Had a bash at Yorkshire too, but struggled a bit with fullbacks. Oh, and having about 5 world class locks.

Moved Robinson to full back in the end to accommodate Hanley on the wing, it being a personal rule of mine that Hanley should be named in any team he's eligible for.

Robinson

Hanley

Wagstaff

Fox (k)

Sullivan

Millward

Parkin (c)

Ward

Stephenson

Hartley

Huddart

Turner

Gallagher

Lowe

Reilly

Lockwood

Jackson

Wasn't Huddart a Cumbrian. 

49 minutes ago, Tom Moore said:

Robinson

Hanley

Wagstaff

Fox (k)

Sullivan

Millward

Parkin (c)

Ward

Stephenson

Hartley

Huddart

Turner

Gallagher

Lowe

Reilly

Lockwood

Jackson

29 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Wasn't Huddart a Cumbrian. 

Born in Flimby apparently.

Anyone fancy putting together an all time any era Lancashire xiii (or Cumbria xiii) to try and deal with that Yorkshire side?

Just looking at a list of Welsh Rugby League players, I reckon you could put together a more than  decent team of players called Davies, and organise a match to see if they could keep up with the Joneses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Welsh_rugby_league_players

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just to throw a few names in here for you younger ones .....  Mick Sullivan ... Len Killeen .. Alan Hardisty ..  ..Ray French ... I think they should figure in their respective  best teams ....  I would like to see someone have a go at the best  Trinity side of all time ...  they have had some amazing players over the last 50 years. 

Lancashire

1. FB Kris Radlinski
  2. WG Joe Lydon
  3. CE Eric Ashton
  4. CE Alan Buckley 
  5. WG Alf Ellaby
  6. SO Kevin Sinfield
  7. SH Alex Murphy
  8. PR Ken Gee
  9. HK Kieran Cunningham
  10. PR Adrian Morley
  11. SR Chris Joynt
  12. SR Denis Betts
  13. LF Paul Sculthorpe 
  14. SR Phil Clarke
  15. SH Andy Gregory
  16. LF Vince Karalius
  17. SO Shaun Edwards
  18. PR James Graham
  19. SR Brian McTigue
  20. HK Joe Egan
  21. SR Ray French 

Feels like there must be better Lancastrian options on the wings, but I was struggling to find them!

Archived