11 Emosi Koloto

12 Mick Adams

13 Doug Laughton

Subs:

David Hulme

Noel Cleal

Esene Faimalo

Mike O'Neill

Although if you offered me an alternative 17 of Burke, Devereux, Currier, Wright, Basnett, J O'Neill, Bowden, Lockwood, Elwell, Mills, Gorley, Tamati, P. Hulme; to play for us right now I'd snatch your hand off.

more or less he same except I'd have Alan tait at full back, paul hulme in at second row, koloto and tamati on the bench, karalius has got to get on the sheet too

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, chuffer said:

more or less he same except I'd have Alan tait at full back, paul hulme in at second row, koloto and tamati on the bench, karalius has got to get on the sheet too

No Kevin Brown then ...?

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No Kevin Brown then ...?

wouldn't get a sniff, and id say that even if he was playing for us now...the fact he was one of our best players in recent years shows just how far we've fallen

So many of my favourite players played for Widnes... Tony Myler, Kurt Sorensen, Emosi Koloto and Noel Cleal to name just a few.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 hours ago, CmonTheBorough said:

BLACKPOOL BOROUGH

1.  Doug Robinson

2. Martin Sivori

3. John Heritage

4. Phil Pitman

5. John Stockley

6.  Jimmy Fairhurst

7. Bak Diabira

8. Jimmy Hamilton

9. Don Parry

10. Hugh Waddell

11. Jim Molyneaux

12. Paul Gamble

13. Carl Briscoe

SUBS

Howard Allen

Ian van Bellen

Mike Smith

Dave Macko

Sob!  Sob!

Surprised no mick nanyn senior or frodsham at s /o?

St. Helens team 84/85 to present

1 Paul Wellens 

2 Darren Albert 

3 Jamie Lyon 

4 Paul Newlove 

5 Anthony Sullivan 

6 Tommy Martyn 

7 Sean Long

8 Kevin Ward

9 Kieron Cunningham

10 David Fairleigh

11 Chris Joynt

12 Roy Haggerty 

13 Paul Sculthorpe 

14 James Roby

15 Mal Meninga

16 James Graham

17 Apollo Perilini 

Alternative St. Helens 84/85 to present

1 Steve Prescott

2 Alan Hunte

3 Scott Gibbs

4 Paul Loughlin

5 Les Quirk

6 Leon Pryce

7 Neil Holding

8 Maurie Faasavalu

9 Bernard Dwyer

10 George Mann 

11 Derek Mcvey 

12 Lee Gilmour 

13 Harry Pinner

14 Kevin Iro 

15 Shane Cooper

16 Andy Platt 

17 Chris Arkwright 

Warrington 84/85 to present

1Johnathan Davies

2 Des Drummond

3 Martin Gleeson

4 Ryan Atkins

5 Mark Forster

6 Ken Kelly

7 Lee Briers

8 Les Boyd

9 Micky Higham

10 Bob Jackson

11 Gary Sanderson

12 Ben Westwood 

13 Mike Gregory 

14 Allan Langer 

15 Adrian Morley 

16 Sid Domic 

17 Kevin Tamiti 

Wigan 84/85 to present

1 Kris Radlinski

2 Jason Robinson

3 Gary Connolly

4 Gene Miles

5 Martin Offiah

6 Brett Kenny

7 Andy Gregory 

8 Kel Skerrett

9 Terry Newton

10 Andy Platt

11 Andy Farrell

12 Andy Goodway

13 Ellery Hanley

14 Shaun Edwards

15 Dean Bell

16 Sean Oloughlin

17 Quentin Pongia 

I simply don't know how people managed this one to come up with 17, My last count was a top 47 and rising and I think even under Northern Union Rules that would have been a few too many!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Unfortunately for them the Roosters don't have any fans but If they did and one was to put a best Eastern Suburbs team together of players they've stolen from Souths & Wests over the years I'm sure It would be rather impressive.

15 hours ago, muse said:

No subritzky in Carlisle team

Who would you replace? Certainly not Barry Williams, would struggle to put him in ahead of brad hepi, Simon Knox or Stewart Rhodes too. Good player though and further evidence of the strength of our alumni.

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Would Ellery Hanley be in each top 17 of each club he played for, Bradford, Wigan, Leeds. I think he would. I'd add Yorkshire and gb to that list too.

I think Paul Newlove would make the 17s for Fev, Bradford and St Helens aswell, maybe cas but didn't spend long enough there I think to make there best 17? Would certainly have a look in for Yorkshire and gb 17s too.

Anyone else come to mind that played for 3 or more teams, and are probably rated in their best 17s?

2 minutes ago, usain bolt said:

Would Ellery Hanley be in each top 17 of each club he played for, Bradford, Wigan, Leeds. I think he would. I'd add Yorkshire and gb to that list too.

I think Paul Newlove would make the 17s for Fev, Bradford and St Helens aswell, maybe cas but didn't spend long enough there I think to make there best 17? Would certainly have a look in for Yorkshire and gb 17s too.

Anyone else come to mind that played for 3 or more teams, and are probably rated in their best 17s?

Would Offiah be in Widnes, Wigan and London's (all guises) all time teams? 

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think he would for sure, definitely widnes and Wigan and also gb. Can't think of many wingers better than him who played for London, although he wasn't there very long.

21 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I had Offiah and Robinson in my Wigan 17 but admitted that Boston would be in if it was all time bit I hadn't seen him play.

Hell of a choice picking two out of Martin Offiah, Jason Robinson and Billy Boston.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 19 July 2017 at 10:19 PM, B rad said:

Brisbane 

1: Lockyer

2: Sailor

3: Renouf 

4: Hodges 

5: Tuqiri 

6: Lewis 

7: Langer

8: Lazarus 

9: Walters

10: Webcke

11: Tallis

12: Thorn

13: Caroll

14: Civoniceva

15: D Smith

16: Tate

17: Dowling

Gene Miles in for Hodges,the man was a magician 

2 hours ago, usain bolt said:

I think Kevin Ward would get in both Cas and Saints all time team. As well as Yorkshire and GB teams. Not sure about Manly's team doubt he spent long enough there. 

Suppose it would be tough to slot subritzky in the Carlisle team. They uncovered some gems over the years, especially early on.

5 hours ago, nec said:

Who would you replace? Certainly not Barry Williams, would struggle to put him in ahead of brad hepi, Simon Knox or Stewart Rhodes too. Good player though and further evidence of the strength of our alumni.

16 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I think Kevin Ward would get in both Cas and Saints all time team. As well as Yorkshire and GB teams. Not sure about Manly's team doubt he spent long enough there. 

Ward was one of the players the Aussies respected. I'd be surprised if he wasn't up there with manlys best ever prop forwards, so certainly a chance of being in their best 17

On 18/07/2017 at 0:03 AM, Gates1 said:

My Cas team (only including players I have seen live - so post late 80's):

Hardaker

St John Ellis

Richie Blackmore

Michael Shenton

(Dare I say) Denny Solomona

Tony Smith

Luke Gale

Kevin Ward

Paul Mcshane

Lee Crooks

Tawera Nikau

Mike McMeeken

Adrian Vowles

Daz Clark

Dean Sampson

Junior Moors

John Joyner

Tough call between Graham Steadman and  Hardaker for FB, but think ZH has a more complete all round game.

Could quite easily have paired Gale up with Mike Ford, Danny Orr or Brad Davis in the halves. 

Kevin Beardsmore probably should be in but I only saw the last few years of his career and he doesn't stand out in my memory.

Australian Ronnie Gibbs had a reletively brief spells with us, would probably have been in had he stayed longer.  

Saw Steadman and Hardaker at Fev and beyond. Steadman was the more complete, exciting and creative player with more raw speed. He was more competitive and had the character necessary to turn a game. Zac was a great youngster with lots of natural ability.

Steadman.

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

Saw Steadman and Hardaker at Fev and beyond. Steadman was the more complete, exciting and creative player with more raw speed. He was more competitive and had the character necessary to turn a game. Zac was a great youngster with lots of natural ability.

Steadman.

I always think Melbourne 92 !

7 minutes ago, Graham said:

Steadman.

Is that you Steady? ;)

I was quite young when watching Steadman so he probably isn't as fresh in my memory but I think Hardaker probably has some defensive qualities that I don't recall Steady having to the same extent.  

Rate them both extremely highly.

Archived