Your club's greatest 1-17? Name them here

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough one to pick an all time top set of players when there have been greats across several era's. But for Saits i'd have to go for:-

Kel Coslett

Tom Van Vollanhoven

Mal Meninga

Paul Newlove

Darren Albert

Sean Long

Alex Murphy

Kevin Ward

Keiron Cuningham

Cliff Watson

Dick Huddart

Paul Sculthorpe

Vince Karalius

Just missing out:-

David Fairleigh

Alan Prescott

Harry Pinner

Chris Joynt

Guggie Greenhall

Alf Ellaby

Jamie Lyon

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 11/11/2017 at 11:21 AM, Davo5 said:

Something a bit different,a British players in the NRL  team.

1. Lydon

2.Offiah

3.Schofield

4.Hanley

5.Currier

6.Bolton

7.T.Bishop

8.Graham

9.Hodgson

10.Morley

11.Huddart

12.S.Burgess

13.Reilly

14.Burgess

15.Ward

16.Lowe

17.Davies

I'd go Davies to full back, Lydon to wing ahead of Currier.

Ashurst to bench at 14, Lowe and Sam to swap.

Jackson on bench at 17, Stevo to hook ahead of Hodgson.

On 18/07/2017 at 6:32 PM, Jacko45 said:

My Fev team that I've seen.

1 C Bibb

2 Z Hardaker

3 I Ropati

4 P Newlove

5 O Simpson

6 G Steadman

7 Deryck Fox

8 S Molloy

9 T Clark

10 L Casey

11 I Smales

12 D Divet

13 B Tuuta

14 M Pearson

15 G H Price

16 C Gibson

17 J Baldwinson.

1.Chris Bibb

2. O. Simpson

3. P. Newlove

4. S.Quinn (Goalkicker)

5. K.Kellett

6. M. Mason

7. S. Nash

8. J Thompson

9. J. Bridges

10. V. Farrar

11. A. Morgan

12. P. Smith

13. B. Tuuta

Bench

D. Hobbs, S.Evans, S. Molloy, P. Lyman

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

It is, but I can't imagine why anyone would pick David Hulme over Andy Gregory.

D Hulme over A Gregory was more a pick for what d Hulme did for Widnes in his long career there rather than the overall career of A Gregory who I agree was a world class 7 in his time, mostly at Wigan and for GB. Gregory at widnes was only a short stint before transferring to warrington then Wigan.

4 minutes ago, usain bolt said:

D Hulme over A Gregory was more a pick for what d Hulme did for Widnes in his long career there rather than the overall career of A Gregory who I agree was a world class 7 in his time, mostly at Wigan and for GB. Gregory at widnes was only a short stint before transferring to warrington then Wigan.

Gregory played nearly 150 times for Widnes. Almost as many games as he played for Wigan, and substantially more than he did for Wire.

Admittedly nowhere near the 400+ that Hulme played for Widnes, but from all the great players that Widnes had back in the day, I still couldn't bring myself to exclude Gregory.

13 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Gregory played nearly 150 times for Widnes. Almost as many games as he played for Wigan, and substantially more than he did for Wire.

Admittedly nowhere near the 400+ that Hulme played for Widnes, but from all the great players that Widnes had back in the day, I still couldn't bring myself to exclude Gregory.

I just remember Gregory being exceptional for Wigan more than Widnes, was certainly a close call but reward for over 400 games just shaded it for d Hulme, and he was certainly amongst Widnes's finest moments in the 80s/90s. Agree a Gregory was a special player, probably why he was in the 17. 

45 minutes ago, usain bolt said:

I just remember Gregory being exceptional for Wigan more than Widnes, was certainly a close call but reward for over 400 games just shaded it for d Hulme, and he was certainly amongst Widnes's finest moments in the 80s/90s. Agree a Gregory was a special player, probably why he was in the 17. 

A couple of the players in your team are good friends of mine, and I know they would be delighted to be chosen from among the great players from that Widnes era.

There are others from that era who could also have warranted a place in the team like Mick Burke and Eric Hughes. My mate said that Burke was the laziest trainer he ever saw in 15 years of playing RL at the highest level, but some of the things he could get that overweight, nicotine filled body to do on the field were beyond explanation.

46 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

A couple of the players in your team are good friends of mine, and I know they would be delighted to be chosen from among the great players from that Widnes era.

There are others from that era who could also have warranted a place in the team like Mick Burke and Eric Hughes. My mate said that Burke was the laziest trainer he ever saw in 15 years of playing RL at the highest level, but some of the things he could get that overweight, nicotine filled body to do on the field were beyond explanation.

Agree, very difficult to pick 17 from such a strong era, the wembley cup runs in the 80s and World Club challenge and league leaders were exceptional times for Widnes, seems such a long time ago. Looking at that 17, there certainly are some world class players and some would have got in the best ever teams that people pick. It's certainly a team that could win fixtures and win well in any era I'd suggest. There's probably a few more players that could break into that side, Hughes and Burke as you suggest would be worthy candidates.

On November 15, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Saint Toppy said:

Tough one to pick an all time top set of players when there have been greats across several era's. But for Saits i'd have to go for:-

Kel Coslett

Tom Van Vollanhoven

Mal Meninga

Paul Newlove

Darren Albert

Sean Long

Alex Murphy

Kevin Ward

Keiron Cuningham

Cliff Watson

Dick Huddart

Paul Sculthorpe

Vince Karalius

Just missing out:-

David Fairleigh

Alan Prescott

Harry Pinner

Chris Joynt

Guggie Greenhall

Alf Ellaby

Jamie Lyon

Surprised Roby misses out in that 20 names suggested, I think people will only realise actually how good he's been once he finishes. He's been one of saints modern day greats for me and provided anunbelievable understudy to Cunningham, probably enabling Cunningham to prolong his career. He's pretty much carried saints this last few seasons and his current World Cup campaign just shows how good he is on the world stage. 

Couldnt argue with any of the 20 names you have chosen though, all special players for the saints over the years. 

Bulls from what I've seen not all time obviously started around 97

1. Spruce

2. Vaikona

3. Naylor

4. Hape

5. Vainikolo

6. H. Paul

7. Deacon

8. Fielden

9. Lowes

10. Vagana

11. Peacock

12. Gartner

13. Brad McKay ( just knew where to be and what to do all the time)

Just missed the Northern days so didn't want to comment on players I hadn't seen. Some honourable mentions though over that spell of being a Bulls fan, Ben Harris defensively one of the best centres i've seen, same with Keith Lulia. Obviously seeing John Bateman from my club making inroads into the pro game was great. But from that spell there were some cracking players, even the one season wonders Stanley Gene and Costin and the likes were great. I'm sure there will be a couple who will write their way into the folklore for different reasons should we keep settled and start trying to move up to the championship again

Leeds from what I've seen:

1. Francis Cummins

2. Scott Donald

3. Kallum Watkins

4. Keith Senior

5. Ryan Hall

6. Iestyn Harris

7. Rob Burrow

8. Jamie Peacock

9. Matt Diskin

10. Adrian Morley

11. Tonie Carroll

12. Gareth Ellis

13. Kevin Sinfield

14. Barrie McDermott

15. Brett Delaney

16. Greg Eastwood

17. Danny McGuire

widnes

1 stuart spruuce

2 stuart wright

3 eric hughes

4 frank myler

5 martin offiah

6 tony myler

7 andy gregory

8 jim mills

9 keith elwell

10 kurt sorensen

11 jim measures

12 mick adams

13 vinty karalius

subs

14 george nicholls

15 frank collier

16 phil mckenzie

17 doug laughton 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

On 11/14/2017 at 4:46 PM, usain bolt said:

Widnes 84/85 to present 

1 Alan Tait

2 John Deveraux

3 Joe Lydon

4 Jonathan Davies

5 Martin Offiah 

6 Tony Myler

7 David Hulme 

8 Kurt Sorenson

9 Phil Mckenzie 

10 Esene Faimalo 

11 Paul Moriarty

12 Emosi Koloso

13 Richard Eyres 

14 Paul Hulme 

15 Darren Wright 

16 Joe Grima 

17 Andy Gregory 

so many great players to pick from

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

On 7/18/2017 at 12:03 AM, Gates1 said:

My Cas team (only including players I have seen live - so post late 80's):

Hardaker

St John Ellis

Richie Blackmore

Michael Shenton

(Dare I say) Denny Solomona

Tony Smith

Luke Gale

Kevin Ward

Paul Mcshane

Lee Crooks

Tawera Nikau

Mike McMeeken

Adrian Vowles

Daz Clark

Dean Sampson

Junior Moors

John Joyner

Tough call between Graham Steadman and  Hardaker for FB, but think ZH has a more complete all round game.

Could quite easily have paired Gale up with Mike Ford, Danny Orr or Brad Davis in the halves. 

Kevin Beardsmore probably should be in but I only saw the last few years of his career and he doesn't stand out in my memory.

Australian Ronnie Gibbs had a reletively brief spells with us, would probably have been in had he stayed longer.  

smith and gayle in the halves before hardisty and hepworth ?????

On 11/14/2017 at 4:46 PM, usain bolt said:

Widnes 84/85 to present 

1 Alan Tait

2 John Deveraux

3 Joe Lydon

4 Jonathan Davies

5 Martin Offiah 

6 Tony Myler

7 David Hulme 

8 Kurt Sorenson

9 Phil Mckenzie 

10 Esene Faimalo 

11 Paul Moriarty

12 Emosi Koloso

13 Richard Eyres 

14 Paul Hulme 

15 Darren Wright 

16 Joe Grima 

17 Andy Gregory 

so many greats to choose from

5 minutes ago, JonM said:

Interesting to note how many of your selection aren't in the club's Hall of Fame (yet?)

http://www.widnesrlhalloffame.com/

Hard to see Keith Elwell's record of 239 consecutive games ever being beaten, unless we get cybernetic players or something.

The team I chosen was players I'd watched from 84/85 to current season, probably a reason those players aren't included in the current hall of fame. Maybe 1 or 2 will be selected in future and I wouldn't disagree on any of the current selections, I just hadn't watched them to select them in my greatest team. I'm sure if I was selecting an overall greatest team then plenty of the current hall of famers would be in contention for selection, some great talents and legends of the rugby league game. 

2 minutes ago, usain bolt said:

The team I chosen was players I'd watched from 84/85 to current season,

Understood - I was referring more to vikingworrier's team.

If I was picking holes in your team, it might be that you don't have anyone from the last 20 years in there :-)

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Understood - I was referring more to vikingworrier's team.

If I was picking holes in your team, it might be that you don't have anyone from the last 20 years in there :-)

Probably because the players from last 20 years haven't been as successful in my eyes than those selected but again 1 or 2 players probably could maybe get into that side, or maybe not. All opinions I guess. 

4 hours ago, Viking Warrior said:

smith and gayle in the halves before hardisty and hepworth ?????

Never saw Hardisty and Hepworth, too young.  My old man man would undoubtedly have them in though!

Had second thoughts on Hardaker though...Steadman to full back ;)

On 21/11/2017 at 6:57 PM, BenGilesRL said:

1. Francis Cummins

2. Scott Donald

3. Kallum Watkins

4. Keith Senior

5. Ryan Hall

6. Iestyn Harris

7. Rob Burrow

8. Jamie Peacock

9. Matt Diskin

10. Adrian Morley

11. Tonie Carroll

12. Gareth Ellis

13. Kevin Sinfield

14. Barrie McDermott

15. Brett Delaney

16. Greg Eastwood

17. Danny McGuire

Cummings better than Hardaker ?? Diskin better than Bederus ??

On 21/11/2017 at 6:57 PM, BenGilesRL said:

1. Francis Cummins

2. Scott Donald

3. Kallum Watkins

4. Keith Senior

5. Ryan Hall

6. Iestyn Harris

7. Rob Burrow

8. Jamie Peacock

9. Matt Diskin

10. Adrian Morley