League 1 Super 8s - Knights v Toronto

4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Many are so decrepit that they need to be rebuilt or replaced in any case, so why not include a minimum field size for new/redeveloped stadiums and include it in minimum standards?  The new ones which have built can all accomodate the full 100 metres and Featherstone managed it with their redevelopment too from what I've seen of it.

I may have been too subtle for you. It costs a lot of money to rebuild a ground; RL clubs don't have any. Most grounds were built before the days of 10m markings, 40/20's, uncontested scrums etc.

We do our best but apologise if it doesn't meet your exacting standards.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Many are so decrepit that they need to be rebuilt or replaced in any case, so why not include a minimum field size for new/redeveloped stadiums and include it in minimum standards?  The new ones which have built can all accomodate the full 100 metres and Featherstone managed it with their redevelopment too from what I've seen of it.

The laws of the game merely state that for adult games the pitch should be as close as possible to the recommended dimensions. It doesn't say what the minimum or maximum dimensions are. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 hours ago, Padge said:

The laws of the game merely state that for adult games the pitch should be as close as possible to the recommended dimensions. It doesn't say what the minimum or maximum dimensions are. 

Max dimensions are 100m goal line to goal line and 11m in goal area. Width escapes me but I seem to remember 68m...

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Max dimensions are 100m goal line to goal line and 11m in goal area. Width escapes me but I seem to remember 68m...

Those dimensions are correct for maximum size (including 68m width), the notes in the laws though say:-

4. For adult games the dimensions should be as near maximum as possible to the dimensions stipulated

This gives clubs a get out clause where the stadium footprint means that the maximum dimensions cannot be practically used.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 hours ago, Padge said:

Those dimensions are correct for maximum size (including 68m width), the notes in the laws though say:-

4. For adult games the dimensions should be as near maximum as possible to the dimensions stipulated

This gives clubs a get out clause where the stadium footprint means that the maximum dimensions cannot be practically used.

That was never in dispute with me Padge. Was simply quoting the max dimensions which someone said don't exist...

glad my recall on width was spot on too :)

12 hours ago, DEANO said:

Go on then.  Which bit?

The bit that begins "the only reason..................."

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

That was never in dispute with me Padge. Was simply quoting the max dimensions which someone said don't exist...

glad my recall on width was spot on too :)

Sorry that would be me badly wording a post, what I meant earlier was that the regulation maximum size for pitch length is a bit vague as the maximum distance between try lines is 100m but in goal areas can be between 6-11m meaning the total playing area (length) including in goals can be anything from 106m to 111m maximum, which doesn't give a fixed maximum.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

Sorry that would be me badly wording a post, what I meant earlier was that the regulation maximum size for pitch length is a bit vague as the maximum distance between try lines is 100m but in goal areas can be between 6-11m meaning the total playing area (length) including in goals can be anything from 106m to 111m maximum, which doesn't give a fixed maximum.

You only accounted for one goal area there rather than 2.  IMO the ideal field of play in 100 metres long with 10-metre deep goal areas, or 120 metres from dead ball line to dead ball line.  As for the complaint that it's not feasible/too difficult/too expensive for the game in the UK, I merely note that they seem to manage it without any issue in Papua New Guinea.  If the Papuans can do not why not you Brits?

8 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

You only accounted for one goal area there rather than 2.  IMO the ideal field of play in 100 metres long with 10-metre deep goal areas, or 120 metres from dead ball line to dead ball line.  As for the complaint that it's not feasible/too difficult/too expensive for the game in the UK, I merely note that they seem to manage it without any issue in Papua New Guinea.  If the Papuans can do not why not you Brits?

Some older grounds were built using imperial measurements as that was the measurement in place at the time. so pitches were more than likely 100 yards (which is only 91.4m) plus in goals areas  

When metric measurements were introduced stands at stadiums weren't  magically going to move to cope with this

All new grounds are to my knowledge built with the maximum pitch size, it's just legacy stadiums that have this issue

Its really not a big deal

11 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Correct should have been 112-122m

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Some older grounds were built using imperial measurements as that was the measurement in place at the time. so pitches were more than likely 100 yards (which is only 91.4m) plus in goals areas  

When metric measurements were introduced stands at stadiums weren't  magically going to move to cope with this

All new grounds are to my knowledge built with the maximum pitch size, it's just legacy stadiums that have this issue

Its really not a big deal

Absolutely, you can't magically stretch a stadium., hence note 4 exists in the laws to say it should be as close to maximum as possible, I presume the flexibility in the in goal area was added to try and help with this for the playing area..

6 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The bit that begins "the only reason..................."

Sorry pal by it's all true. Most clubs lose money every game and base their outgoings on the hand out by the rfl. Thus the money given divided by 22 games is far more than the same amount divided by 30 games. Simples!!!!

regarding top team been promoted. It was a play off last year so why not this

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

With York being the only League 1 team to beat the WP I hope that we just witnessed the birth of a natural rivalry between the city of York (my old hometown) and the city formerly known as York (Toronto, my new hometown) if so, this could get juicy. All the Kneets have to do is get promotion this year. Praying for this..Go Kneets!!!

Archived