The Greatest Team

DavidM

2 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

I'd be interested to know how many full GB international players or coaches we've had on the books over the years. Obviously not so many in recent times , i'll start it off with David Ward, Maurice Bamford and Des Drummond.

Not all GB but all Internationals.....

Les Gorley 5 GB caps...

Peter Gorley 3 GB Caps.

Eddie Bowman 4 GB caps,

Boxer Walker 1 GB Cap,

Harry Beverley 2 England Caps,

John Risman 3 Wales Caps,

Ray Wilkins 2 Wales Caps,

Paul Charlton 19 GB Caps,

Ian Hartley 1 England Under 24 Cap,

Billy Pattinson 2 England Caps

and all these guys played in the SAME TEAM .

I would say that is a club record...... 10 Internationals (or future internationals) on the books at the same time.

Even though most of them never got their caps while at Town it showed the promise the Lancashire Cup side(s) had.

Just think if Mr Mitchel had been able to keep those guys together for another couple of years what the potential could have been.

Eddie,Banksy,Harry,Les,Peter,Patty, with Boxer leading them around the park and all in their prime....Not many teams would have lived with them. Massive and all mobile with good hands.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, yanto said:

Les Gorley 5 GB caps...

Peter Gorley 3 GB Caps.

Eddie Bowman 4 GB caps,

Boxer Walker 1 GB Cap,

I would say that is a club record...... 10 Internationals (or future internationals) on the books at the same time.

Even though most of them never got their caps while at Town it showed the promise the Lancashire Cup side(s) had.

Just think if Mr Mitchel had been able to keep those guys together for another couple of years what the potential could have been.

Eddie,Banksy,Harry,Les,Peter,Patty, with Boxer leading them around the park and all in their prime....Not many teams would have lived with them. Massive and all mobile with good hands.

Amazing I honestly think that team could have gone on win even more major honours.

29 minutes ago, yanto said:

Les Gorley 5 GB caps...

Peter Gorley 3 GB Caps.

Eddie Bowman 4 GB caps,

Boxer Walker 1 GB Cap,

Did Boxer get his cap after leaving for haven ?

Im an Hunslet fan but my late Dad told me about a player we had  who transferred to Workington called Cec Thompson , I think he was from the caribean  which was pretty unusual in them days, this would be in the fifties before my time but I know my Dad said he was a great player and im wondering if any old timers remember him playing for Worky.

2 hours ago, The King Of Leon said:

Im an Hunslet fan but my late Dad told me about a player we had  who transferred to Workington called Cec Thompson , I think he was from the caribean  which was pretty unusual in them days, this would be in the fifties before my time but I know my Dad said he was a great player and im wondering if any old timers remember him playing for Worky.

Yes- one of the first black players to play R.L. A Town legend who spent his early life in various orphanages and could neither read nor write when he came here. Apart from his prowess on the field Cec educated himself and went on to be a highly successful business man .He was just before my time but my late father rated him as one of the best. 

7 hours ago, The King Of Leon said:

Cec's autobiography is a great read...

https://www.amazon.com/Born-Wrong-Side-Cec-Thompson/dp/1905147171

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

5 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Yes- one of the first black players to play R.L. A Town legend who spent his early life in various orphanages and could neither read nor write when he came here. Apart from his prowess on the field Cec educated himself and went on to be a highly successful business man .He was just before my time but my late father rated him as one of the best. 

Ye, would be about 1955 ,I was in year one at infants school reading my little black Sambo book when Ces appeared cleaning the windows and I nearly fell of my chair never having seen a black fella before in the flesh. Never seen him play but they reckon he was a real good player.

• 2 years later...

Would nobody chose players from the team we have now? 

I remember the good old days with Hepi, Pickering, Drummomd to name a few but what about the likes of Carl Forber - great kicker, fast hands, and the likes of Stevie Scholey who is a tackling machine. 

Like in a few years will they be remembered as much? I'd hope so. 

4 minutes ago, THMS said:

Would nobody chose players from the team we have now? 

I remember the good old days with Hepi, Pickering, Drummomd to name a few but what about the likes of Carl Forber - great kicker, fast hands, and the likes of Stevie Scholey who is a tackling machine. 

Like in a few years will they be remembered as much? I'd hope so. 

No

Archived