Jack Walker rejects 3 year deal

Reports breaking on social media that teenage sensation, Jack Walker, has rejected a 3 year deal from his hometown club Leeds. I have got the impression in recent weeks that perhaps Leeds were trying to take him down a peg or two - for example a clearly not fully recovered Ash Golding was played ahead of Walker against Hull last week for a big chunk of the game. Maybe he thinks he can't get in at Leeds with Golding ahead of him, maybe he has agents in his ear saying there are big offers from elsewhere, maybe Leeds' offer was a bit of a joke. We don't really know enough but, from a Leeds fan perspective, no player is irreplaceable, and no player is bigger than the club, so I'd take it as sad but hard to avoid news.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.totalrl.com/jack-walker-rejects-new-three-year-contract-leeds-rhinos/

This suggests to me that he was going to be given the number 2 shirt but has turned that down. Its a shame. One of the best FB in the World RTS had to wait on the wing before he got his shot. It also suggests that Rhinos management aren't averse to letting Briscoe go, which is interesting.

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

http://www.totalrl.com/jack-walker-rejects-new-three-year-contract-leeds-rhinos/

This suggests to me that he was going to be given the number 2 shirt but has turned that down. Its a shame. One of the best FB in the World RTS had to wait on the wing before he got his shot. It also suggests that Rhinos management aren't averse to letting Briscoe go, which is interesting.

I agree he is too young to be calling the shots but can understand his perspective a little. Ash Goulding may be at the club for the next 5-10 years and is primed for his position. However, you have to go about things the right way. Maybe he should sign a 12-month contract and see how it pans out next season. He will still be a baby at the end of 2018. This may also have pricked the ears of a few clubs in SL. 

He wants to play full back and regularly. He won't get that at Leeds so is prepared to move.

What's wrong with that?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Warrington just sign other clubs youth players. Wonder if Patton will get a see in next season

It's not something I've seen Warrington do much of. Who else's youth players have they signed?

Clearly you can't have a 17 year old dictating where will play

I wonder if he's destined to be another Curtis Naughton - looked like an absolute world-beater when he first came on the scene with the Bulls. Apparently left us because he thought he should be first choice full back, and drifted around a few clubs, sent out on loan, played mostly on the wing etc. Wasted talent!

I agree with those who say he's be better off signing a contract at Leeds and seeing how it pans out over the next couple of years. If he's that good then he'll displace Ash Goulding (who is hardly the finished article anyway) over the next couple of years.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

They were hardly youth players when they signed for Warrington

They sign players rather than promote their own youth is what I should have put, or it seems that way. Their like Chelsea or Liverpool, have great academics but most of the time sign players instead of promoting youth players.

1 minute ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

They sign players rather than promote their own youth is what I should have put, or it seems that way. Their like Chelsea or Liverpool, have great academics but most of the time sign players instead of promoting youth players.

Obviously you don't see how many they have brought through recently, but all Players leeds have developed are not all from Leeds, they spread the net far and wide, and as for Clark and Atkins both Cas and Wakefield were more than happy to take the money. 

6 minutes ago, TheSnowmonkey said:

Morgan Smith and Ryan Jones

I thought we picked Ryan Jones up on trial, and that he had been told he wasn't wanted at Leeds?

Morgan Smith, yes I believe we offered him a fair contract and a first team squad number.

Leeds bring in plenty of players from outside their area though, just like all clubs do.

Just now, Alffi 7 said:

I thought we picked Ryan Jones up on trial, and that he had been told he wasn't wanted at Leeds?

Morgan Smith, yes I believe we offered him a fair contract and a first team squad number.

Leeds bring in plenty of players from outside their area though, just like all clubs do.

I heard the story he went for a trial but he left Leeds before season finished...he'd only just played  one match for senior...looked up and he had vanished.  ..Morgan has only had one match ..that was on bench last week or week before..

1 minute ago, TheSnowmonkey said:

I heard the story he went for a trial but he left Leeds before season finished...he'd only just played  one match for senior...looked up and he had vanished.  ..Morgan has only had one match ..that was on bench last week or week before..

Thanks. Genuinely didn't know where they came from. 

It's like saying Leeds pinched Watkins from Warrington because he was on their books and a Latchford junior, but he decided Leeds was the right club for him. Lots of players were junior players at clubs and signed for others it's standard practice. 

Must admit it was disappointed Jack Walker twice rejected club...he looks an amazing  prospect.  It also looks as if reports that the agent were behind the stalling of money are wrong as if this story true Walker said it not about money but  playing as FB...kind of reminds me of BJB...left Leeds as he wanted the no1 position...at time we had Zak...he was promised it at Salford..didn't get to play at FB, except on a few occasions..then left for Trinity where think he hoped he would finally get that jersey...don't know if coach persuaded him to stick at wing but no question he is doing well there. I hope Jack Walker has a change of heart or some compromise can be reached .

Archived