2018 Squad.

RogerT

On 11/09/2017 at 3:52 PM, DOGFATHER said:

Surely this Hemmingway rumour must be a wind up emanating from one of the Dewsbury faithful?

If not, and he is the standard we are looking to bring in for next season, we can effectively kiss a top 6 finish goodbye.

I'd love to know if we were in to sign Tom Holmes and how much, if indeed we did try to sign him, we were out bid by. He is the standard I believe we need to be bringing in if we are going to move forward.

Thought you'd have announced Tom Hemingway as your major signing by now. And no it's not a wind up.??

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dogfather, see much earlier post on Holmes...gone to Fev. Would chance trying to get Maher, he must know he's only a very small bit player at Cad. If he wants regular half-time better off with us. Long rumoured that Briggs was moving in as well and what about Johnny? MD could also be using his Bulls connections so let's see. We could be announcing signings from clubs who's season is over....

On 07/08/2017 at 10:36 PM, Dogstew said:

We'd be better off with a decent coach. This season's opportunity wasted.

In fairness to Diskin, we've played some sparkling rugby since our mid-season horror spell. Next season will be the acid test for him, and it's massively important that we sign 3 or 4 players who will genuinely take the squad to the next level. We're head and shoulders above most sides in the lower half of the league, but haven't come close to beating anyone in the top four - aside from Halifax early in the season. 

Heard on the grapevine that we've missed out on Briggs, who's signed for Halifax. That's the issue we have for 2018. The better available players will gravitate to the clubs which finished in the top 4 and have more money to spend on wages. I'm not confident that we'll be able to improve the squad at all, if I'm honest. 

If we've signed Tom Hemingway, I'll be very, very disappointed - as will many fans. 

2 minutes ago, Tony F said:

In fairness to Diskin, we've played some sparkling rugby since our mid-season horror spell. Next season will be the acid test for him, and it's massively important that we sign 3 or 4 players who will genuinely take the squad to the next level. We're head and shoulders above most sides in the lower half of the league, but haven't come close to beating anyone in the top four - aside from Halifax early in the season. 

Agree with this. Next season the majority of the squad will have had 2 pre-seasons and all this season with Diskin so should know exactly what he requires of them. Together with adding some genuine quality to this squad should enable them to compete with the other top four teams. Other than the bonuses given to the players last season I don't think a major amount of the extra money was spent so there must be some in the kitty to attract a quality player or two this year. Provided he is given these additional signings then the onus is on Diskin to deliver.

They'll also have 2 more years in age on their backs.....there are one or two now reaching (reached?) veteran stage, how long can we keep piling expectation on those backs? It's imperative that young but ready blood is brought in, especially at half back, not neccesarily because 1 or both regulars aren't good enough but because they're older and more prone to injury. No disrespect here but we have age catching up on at least 1 winger, one half, 1 prop, 1 2nd row and a loose. Various names are bandied about, Briggs, maybe gone elsewhere but is that only for the money and would he have been the youthful half we need? Hemingway? No way. Keyes? Signed at Bulls but available for a transfer fee then? Etc etc etc......I'm sure that the board and coach DO realise that this squad can't go on forever, being asked for big things time after time. Recruitment will be difficult as there will be probably every club from London downward to Swinton all fishing in the same pool, but I'm sure a number will have been identified and approached. The outcome of The Shield might also swing something.

30 minutes ago, fredm said:

Agree with this. Next season the majority of the squad will have had 2 pre-seasons and all this season with Diskin so should know exactly what he requires of them. Together with adding some genuine quality to this squad should enable them to compete with the other top four teams. Other than the bonuses given to the players last season I don't think a major amount of the extra money was spent so there must be some in the kitty to attract a quality player or two this year. Provided he is given these additional signings then the onus is on Diskin to deliver.

Other top four teams?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It all depends on the Club's goals for next season, and what Matt Diskin has to do to achieve those goals within a pre determined budget. As this season approaches its close, we will soon have an insight into the plans and ambitions of the Club by the type of signings we introduce to the current squad. 

18 hours ago, silverback said:

best run it by billy first before any new players come in,,just to be safe, but tom was mentioned in ep that he had chose batley for 2018. maybe hes good with laptop linked to scoreboard..:butcher:

What a very very sad young man you are imo of  course, have you got a close personal relationship with tom hemingway as you seem very very touchy on the subject of him? I will stand totally by what i said, he is not a top championship player and definatly would not improve our squad in the slightest, and i still think he doesn't get stuck in like he should on the pitch as i think he is scared of spoiling his hair and looks, championship 1 player yes but championship definatly not, take it as you will.

I get the impression that BB doesn't like anything about our club! 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

1 hour ago, billybulldog said:

What a very very sad young man you are imo of  course, have you got a close personal relationship with tom hemingway as you seem very very touchy on the subject of him? I will stand totally by what i said, he is not a top championship player and definatly would not improve our squad in the slightest, and i still think he doesn't get stuck in like he should on the pitch as i think he is scared of spoiling his hair and looks, championship 1 player yes but championship definatly not, take it as you will.

god, your like a stuck record, i never said tom was what we need but if were now bargain basement and briggs/mc shane aint on there way get over it, am sure you have the wrong player on your mind with all this he dont get mucky and carnt tackle and now his hair do??? tom were on about and who your knocking, look at stick sykes got last season off dews fans and hes cracking on with it this time round, if hes coming to dogs he will get a cheer for sure and i will see how many mom he gets, you just find sommat else to beef about.

p.s,, i aint sad for sure, and am a pensioner...:vinsent:

1 hour ago, silverback said:

god, your like a stuck record, i never said tom was what we need but if were now bargain basement and briggs/mc shane aint on there way get over it, am sure you have the wrong player on your mind with all this he dont get mucky and carnt tackle and now his hair do??? tom were on about and who your knocking, look at stick sykes got last season off dews fans and hes cracking on with it this time round, if hes coming to dogs he will get a cheer for sure and i will see how many mom he gets, you just find sommat else to beef about.

As i am and at 67 nxt, and have been a gallent youth supporter since my teens, and for ur information i love our club and always have, but i do not agree with the silly signings of players that ar not upto scratch like Hemingway, we should be signing players that will take us forward not backward steps, and and thats what is happening imo of course, also i don't know why you fetched up the Dewsbury player Sykes as i don't go up to watch the rams so a silly point realy, are you his dad or something? and when it comes to him getting mom's, he hardly got any last time so he definatly wont this time, like i said before, he cant even get in Dewsbury side, and if you are going to mention again that they had 50 odd players signed on then if he was good enough it wouldn't matter how many players they had signed on. Imo of course

In my mind the club does need to recruit in several positions and we really do need to have a good season because in another 12 months (which I'm aware is a long time in rugby terms ) we have a number of younger players that will be very hard to hang onto when their out of contract if we underperform . I'm sure some of the other clubs with bigger budgets will be interested 

Im sure the coach and chairman realise this and a way of keeping them is to have a good season in 2018 

2 hours ago, silverback said:

McShane? Paul McShane???! The guy who'll probably be in the England squad? More chance of us signing that swarthy bloke who played 'Lovejoy'.

38 minutes ago, billybulldog said:

As i am and at 67 nxt, and have been a gallent youth supporter since my teens, and for ur information i love our club and always have, but i do not agree with the silly signings of players that ar not upto scratch like Hemingway, we should be signing players that will take us forward not backward steps, and and thats what is happening imo of course, also i don't know why you fetched up the Dewsbury player Sykes as i don't go up to watch the rams so a silly point realy, are you his dad or something? and when it comes to him getting mom's, he hardly got any last time so he definatly wont this time, like i said before, he cant even get in Dewsbury side, and if you are going to mention again that they had 50 odd players signed on then if he was good enough it wouldn't matter how many players they had signed on. Imo of course

i used sykes as an example,as a player who got loads a stick last few seasons but as come good again for dews with a better coach,

your thinking same of tom and your almost always right so i will go along with your thoughts,he might light up the halfs and  hit gaps and score loads a points for the dogs, i will see but will give him the chance,you seem to knock anything batley everytime you hit the keyboard fella,

look whos got in a batley shirt in last few games out the 20 odd players we have(maybe tom could a done),????do you think same lads would a played if we had say 45 players to chose from.(i think he might a missed out for holmes or minnikin to fit in if we had em) or are you really needing to have a few weeks in a darkened room due to all the knowledge crammed in that massive swede..

3 minutes ago, silverback said:

i used sykes as an example,as a player who got loads a stick last few seasons but as come good again for dews with a better coach,

your thinking same of tom and your almost always right so i will go along with your thoughts,he might light up the halfs and  hit gaps and score loads a points for the dogs, i will see but will give him the chance,you seem to knock anything batley everytime you hit the keyboard fella,

look whos got in a batley shirt in last few games out the 20 odd players we have(maybe tom could a done),????do you think same lads would a played if we had say 45 players to chose from.(i think he might a missed out for holmes or minnikin to fit in if we had em) or are you really needing to have a few weeks in a darkened room due to all the knowledge crammed in that massive swede..

ha ha your so funny and now your starting with the insults, to say you say you are a pensioner, its very grown of you.imo of course

5 hours ago, Tony F said:

In fairness to Diskin, we've played some sparkling rugby since our mid-season horror spell. Next season will be the acid test for him, and it's massively important that we sign 3 or 4 players who will genuinely take the squad to the next level. We're head and shoulders above most sides in the lower half of the league, but haven't come close to beating anyone in the top four - aside from Halifax early in

1 hour ago, billybulldog said:

ha ha your so funny and now your starting with the insults, to say you say you are a pensioner, its very grown of you.imo of course

cheers fella, just speaking my mind like,, >> friendly and knowledgeable set of supporters. A real club always a joy to visit. <<<

let me know if you need help to >write your book..:search:

7 hours ago, fredm said:

Keyes has signed a 2 year deal at Bulls.

Shame, I think he'd have gone well for us.

However, I'm not convinced spending big money is necessarily the right move for next season anyway. Even if we broke the bank and spent far more than we could sustainably afford, I still can't see us being able to compete with the 4 full time clubs next season, or big spenders Featherstone.

Therefore, the best plan might be to build a squad to comfortably achieve 6th or 7th and not engage in a war we cannot possibly win, with clubs with far more spending power.

Maybe, it would be better to wait for the restructure the season after next, to take 2 full time teams out of the equation. Then make another tilt at a top 4 finish.

It will be interesting to see how Fev fair if they fail to make the middle 8s next year and how they will pay the wages losing £300k in funding, plus the loss in gate receipts from replacing Bradford and HKR with possibly Catalan and Toronto.

Archived