Expansion Clubs.

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

All I'll say was there was around 20 Bears fans there and it felt like they outnumbered the local crowd. 78 would be a more accurate figure. I'm not sure what clubs have to gain by fabricating attendance figures, papering over the cracks surely. 

To be fair there may be people who are ST holders who didn't go. I didn't get to Skolars on Sat as I was away, but I would have been counted in the attendance. But hey whether it's 78 or 178 that doesn't suggest the game is growing there.

There are three (linked issues):

1) How do southern teams build competitive squads when there are so few players down here?

2) How can we grow and support the amateur game in the south? 

3) How can the game gain traction in new areas like Glos with zero marketing and promotion budgets. Essentially the clubs are left to get on with it as far as I can see,

The solutions:

1) For the immediate future fewer expansion clubs but support those more (e.g. Market games)

2) Support the amateur game 

3) Develop a long term strategy - and involve the fans

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of the problem with the amateur game is the league structure doesn't work. The proposed new Southern Rugby League competition split West and East is a step in the right direction though the Western division will only get off the ground if the Welsh clubs buy into it 

On 13/08/2017 at 3:19 PM, bowes said:

I expect we'll have a 12-12-14 format next year then come 2019 they'll go for 14-14-14 with the extra clubs coming from France and North America (and presumably entering at Championship level).

In a recent interview with BBCs Dave Woods RFLs Roger Draper said their present focus was in Europe with, "Work to do in France....Catalans and Toulouse have been great.." I wonder what he was referring to there. I would like to see the Aude Cathare project re-visited along with Avignon. Challenge Cup entry a way of introducing these set-ups/clubs after all that was the way it started for both Catalans and Toulouse?

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

6 hours ago, Bearman said:

What do you think Mr C, the attendance was given at 178 ?

Ron Banks you seem to have it in for All Golds, bad loser? 

Just now, Bearman said:

Bad loser , what with the practise I'm having ?

Tough devision this year, it is so unpredictable! Even Toronto aren't safe from the League-1 randomness

What I picked up from the Kewi n Aussie clubs in London is the RFL are trying to restructure the southern comp by asking teams to join a new comp. Any where from Coventry down to London. Hemel with there a amateur team who are East Prem champions want  to join, this has the making of a good comp n a pathway for players.

1 hour ago, newbe said:

What I picked up from the Kewi n Aussie clubs in London is the RFL are trying to restructure the southern comp by asking teams to join a new comp. Any where from Coventry down to London. Hemel with there a amateur team who are East Prem champions want  to join, this has the making of a good comp n a pathway for players.

I heard this would be Coventry Dragons, Northampton, Hemel A, Skolars A, London Chargers and Wests Warriors. This might have changed with the League 1 teams dropping out though 

After watching Warriors n Chargers last season they would beat the bottom 5/6 teams in league 1. But then they don't have visa restrictions. But saying that they are true league players. So it can only improve the teams they play against 

On 14/08/2017 at 0:36 PM, EssexRL said:

To be fair there may be people who are ST holders who didn't go. I didn't get to Skolars on Sat as I was away, but I would have been counted in the attendance. But hey whether it's 78 or 178 that doesn't suggest the game is growing there.

There are three (linked issues):

1) How do southern teams build competitive squads when there are so few players down here?

2) How can we grow and support the amateur game in the south? 

3) How can the game gain traction in new areas like Glos with zero marketing and promotion budgets. Essentially the clubs are left to get on with it as far as I can see,

The solutions:

1) For the immediate future fewer expansion clubs but support those more (e.g. Market games)

2) Support the amateur game 

3) Develop a long term strategy - and involve the fans

I know London isn't the heartlands mate, but, few players at what age/s?  PM me if it's easier.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: focus on the south west.

Here's why, in brief:

(a) in one fell swoop, the RFL counters the "northern game only" bllocks.

(b) there is an appetite for 'rugby' which is far less code partisan than almost anywhere else. It's working class.

(c) the potential for away followings to one of the most beautiful parts of the British Isles is immense.

(d) the fledgling Cornish Rebels were, last time I looked, getting more people to a game ( in the lowest tier) than almost all "expansion" clubs elsewhere.

It's a goldmine of talent and latent support. 

On 14/08/2017 at 8:41 AM, OriginalMrC said:

All I'll say was there was around 20 Bears fans there and it felt like they outnumbered the local crowd. 78 would be a more accurate figure. I'm not sure what clubs have to gain by fabricating attendance figures, papering over the cracks surely. 

Do they have to quote everyone who bought a ticket for tax reasons?

22 hours ago, newbe said:

After watching Warriors n Chargers last season they would beat the bottom 5/6 teams in league 1. But then they don't have visa restrictions. But saying that they are true league players. So it can only improve the teams they play against 

You think Warriors and Chargers would beat All Golds?

A few results from this season you might want to consider:

All Golds 46-22 Keighley

Workington 22-30 All Golds

All Golds 40-22 North Wales Crusaders

All Golds 36-18 North Wales Crusaders

On 8/14/2017 at 0:09 PM, bowes said:

Part of the problem with the amateur game is the league structure doesn't work. The proposed new Southern Rugby League competition split West and East is a step in the right direction though the Western division will only get off the ground if the Welsh clubs buy into it 

Well, if anyone buys into it. Most of the clubs in the West of England Men's League - Swindon being the exception - are not in a position to enter it, or have been put off by the fact that Cornish Rebels and Devon Sharks will most likely be in it.

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

13 minutes ago, West Country Eagle said:

Well, if anyone buys into it. Most of the clubs in the West of England Men's League - Swindon being the exception - are not in a position to enter it, or have been put off by the fact that Cornish Rebels and Devon Sharks will most likely be in it.

The eastern division will easily get off the ground, and is necessary, as Northampton and Coventry Dragons won't have a league to play in without one it happening.

I tend to agree with you about the western division unless they can get the Welsh clubs to buy into it.

6 minutes ago, bowes said:

The eastern division will easily get off the ground, and is necessary, as Northampton and Coventry Dragons won't have a league to play in without one it happening.

I tend to agree with you about the western division unless they can get the Welsh clubs to buy into it.

Even with the Welsh clubs it will still be a pretty slim division with lots of epic travel (which IS an issue in this part of the world as union players - and, yes, most still play union even if we'd like them to commit to a longer League season  - get a nosebleed if they have to travel more than about 30 miles.

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

From what I know Northampton may not be in this division. The costs of travel make it extremely difficult. I'm not sure how the Dragons are geared up for long hauls either. 

Northampton and Coventry only don't have anyone to play because the rest of the teams in the midlands refuse to play them which is a disgrace in itself. This "new" league is a paper over cracks scheme at the very best.

1 hour ago, Moscow01 said:

You think Warriors and Chargers would beat All Golds?

A few results from this season you might want to consider:

All Golds 46-22 Keighley

Workington 22-30 All Golds

All Golds 40-22 North Wales Crusaders

All Golds 36-18 North Wales Crusaders

After watching Warriors & Chargers (& Hammersmith) a few times last year, I believe they would beat Hemel, Ironmen, Oxford & Coventry. On their day I think they could beat Crusaders, All Golds and would give Skolars and Hunslet a competitive game. Visa issues prevented Skolars signing some of the Warriors players.

18 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

From what I know Northampton may not be in this division. The costs of travel make it extremely difficult. I'm not sure how the Dragons are geared up for long hauls either. 

Northampton and Coventry only don't have anyone to play because the rest of the teams in the midlands refuse to play them which is a disgrace in itself. This "new" league is a paper over cracks scheme at the very best.

Not sure Northampton to North/West London is really that far? It's clearly closer than Telford. And the midlands clubs probably won't play you next season either if you stay down. Realistically it's this division or nothing I'd have thought.

Edit: Guess you could play in the east division. Unsure what the Dragons would do in that scenario and not sure the travelling would be any less from Northampton than to London 

32 minutes ago, bowes said:

Not sure Northampton to North/West London is really that far? It's clearly closer than Telford. And the midlands clubs probably won't play you next season either if you stay down. Realistically it's this division or nothing I'd have thought.

Edit: Guess you could play in the east division. Unsure what the Dragons would do in that scenario and not sure the travelling would be any less from Northampton than to London 

Northampton to Hemel is about 30 mins and to north London 50 mins. But S and SW London are a major pain with traffic.  Id be interested to see how far Aussie amateur clubs travel for regular league games.

2 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

You use "you" a lot. Let me be clear, I'm not involved with the demons. I do though have a lot of knowledge in is area. The point that's been missed is that two clubs in the midlands are being ostracised by around 6/7 others for which someone is allowing is to happen. Most amateur clubs in this area have literally no cash, asking players to travel too and possibly through London is a step too far. Wests for example is a 2hrs trip on a Saturday from Northampton, add another 40mins on for Coventry.

5 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

You use "you" a lot. Let me be clear, I'm not involved with the demons. I do though have a lot of knowledge in is area. The point that's been missed is that two clubs in the midlands are being ostracised by around 6/7 others for which someone is allowing is to happen. Most amateur clubs in this area have literally no cash, asking players to travel too and possibly through London is a step too far. Wests for example is a 2hrs trip on a Saturday from Northampton, add another 40mins on for Coventry.

Leamington were one of the better of those clubs and they got 60-70 points put on the by the Dragons and Northampton. Something needs to be done to create a higher level of competition as every midlands premier division ever attempted has folded due to clubs not being able to keep up with the playing standard (just usually they last nearer three seasons than half a season admittedly)

1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

Northampton to Hemel is about 30 mins and to north London 50 mins. But S and SW London are a major pain with traffic.  Id be interested to see how far Aussie amateur clubs travel for regular league games.

It's very unlikely there'll be a club in South London at this level, though West London sounds like it will take longer. Australian amateur clubs either travel much longer distances than this (Country Rugby League), or much less than this (leagues based around Sydney suburbs, a half of Brisbane or a medium sized city like Illawarra or Central Coast)

Archived